Starter Kit Question... Help

cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi All, I am looking to get back into playing and was curious to see what starter kit/ player pack everyone would recomend for a 30 year old???

Love the look and sound of the Les Pauls but that is a hefty tag. I am leaning towards the Epiphone Special-II players pack does anyone have any experience with this particular pack or are there any other recomendations. I had a mexican strat 10 years ago back in college but that is another story. I am never going to be a hard core player and doubt if I ever take it further than stress relief and personal enjoyment so with that in mind I would love some recomendations that won't break the bank.

Thanks
So many amazing shows! Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    If you have your heart set on a player's pack-type package deal, I'd stick with either the Fender/Squier or Epiphone deals. Here's a selection of stuff to price out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040308141119150131025216778108/g=guitar/search/c=6243

With the Squier and Epi deals, you at least get a decent guitar. The amps in any of these are going to be crap, good enough for the bedroom and that's it. But at least then you can upgrade to a better amp later, if the "hobby" expands. Even a good little tube amp for the bedroom would greatly improve your sounds.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
    thanks bump
    So many amazing shows! Thank you.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    If you go to a store they can create a better pack for you because they can adjust how much the store makes on it. You'll want to spend 70 to 120 bucks on an amp just find one that looks cool and sounds ok to you and then a little more on a guitar. The most important thing is tuning stability so look for one that looks cool to you and has the best tuners for your money. Tuners are cheap and so are straps and picks and cables so if you are really nice the salesman can throw in some of that stuff free.

Vox, Crate, Orange, Peavey, Fender and Marshall all make cool practice amps. There is also a headphone amp called the Hot Watt that's around 70 bucks and is cool to play around with or smokey amps has a battery amp in a cigarette box that is really cool too but it's more of a novelty.

Epiphone, Fender, Ibanez, and Peavey all make decent axes for under $200 your price range should be between 100 and 200 for what you want probably.

Check out http://www.musiciansfriend.com for some ideas.

I used to build packs for people all the time. Turns out they aren't much of a deal because the price of the parts is generally the same price as the pieces individually a nice salesman will hook you up if you tell him what you need.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.