Great American Guitar Show (Philly) Nov 11 & 12 help?

cableguy119cableguy119 Posts: 114
edited November 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
Great American Guitar Show. Nov 11 & 12. New location in Reading,PA
(due to the closing of the Fort Washington expo center)
for event info...http://www.bee3vintage.com/

Anyone gone to this event in year's past? Looks like a great event but is it all vintage guitars/amps or can I get some entry/intermediate level gear here?

Actually I am just looking for a Fender Pro JR Combo amp ($299 at Guitar center) Nice Tube sound and a kick ass price. I have nothing against corporate giants but would like to know if I can get some show specials that beat the prices. I will likely never play a real gig but I rock my basement all the time and my kids love it but I am looking to upgrade from the Epiphone Les Paul Special II Player Pack.

Is it worth driving 10 minutes to the show? Could I find good deals on a better guitar or acoustic or other equipment?

I know it can't hurt to take a look it only cost $10 to get in and not far from my house but with a baby due 2 days ago wife will pop any day now I don't know if I can leave them for a few hours to get to the event. Any feedback from anyone who has been to this event in the past will be helpful.

Thanks
So many amazing shows! Thank you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• regardless of the purchases, its nice to see some up and coming products,a nd just gear to fantasize over. I live about 3500 miles from there, i would still go.

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • I go every year. I live in Wilmington DE, I used to play at a booth for a guitarmaker and demo. Haha,, little show every 30 minutes.
    I was wondering where the expo would be this year, because the old location closed.
    You may very well find something good there. There are all kinds of things going on there, from old vintage equipment and guitars, to stores having specials on new and used gear, to dealers with all kinds of quirky and normal lower priced stuff.
    It's hard to say when the best time to go is, the major vintage deals get bought up fast, but there are all kinds of amps and guitars there, and demo booths. You already know the price, but check out other options or things you were thinking of buying, too, and look up the price before you go so you know when you're standing there thinking something is REALLY cool and you MUST have it! :)
    I've gone in the last few hours of the show when everyone is packing up. That's a good time to buy because people don't want to put stuff back on the truck.
    You have to be able to make a quick decision and know a bit about what you're looking for, too.
    If you look for a used one, bring cash if possible.

Also, look for the guys walking around with the carts that have a few things for sale. I bought great old 1940's Gibson amp that is one of the best sounding ones I have, for $150 bucks last year. Just make sure you try everything before you buy it.
    If you're looking for a used tube amp,,, make sure it's plugged in and warmed up and play through it. Don't be shy! Just wail "Stairway" :D
    You want to know that it's quiet no buzzes/ rattles. etc.
    Twirl all the knobs to listen for static or pops.

Maybe I'll see you there!

The only problem is I'm getting surgery tomorrow, and I think I'm going to be down for a while and I may not be able to walk around for the show. I may miss it this year. :(
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I might go, considering it's like 10 minutes away. I'm not really interested in vintage stuff, though.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • I guess I could have put the short answer up there!

Haha,, It’s not just a vintage show, there is new, used, and old vintage gear there!

A LOT of stuff. From effects to amps to guitars. You won't know WHAT to look at after spending 4 hours there!

I doubt very much I’ll make it up. I just had some surgery Thursday that didn’t go well, and I think I’m going to be a bit house bound for a while. :(

Next year I says!!!
    Be kind, man

Feel better soon, man. I know how that goes. I thought getting a wisdom tooth pulled this week threw me for a loop.

But look on the bright side, you can post more this week and share with us all of that endless knowledge we all crave!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638

I doubt very much I’ll make it up. I just had some surgery Thursday that didn’t go well, and I think I’m going to be a bit house bound for a while. :(

sorry to hear that.

dr. nick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecjB0JclYvo
  • Haha,,, well, not Doctor Nick. :D

Thanks.

well,,, umm,, hernia surgery on Thursday but I tore some internal stitches I guess,,,,and it swelled, and so I had to go back in yesterday, and now I'm home and kind of a mess.

haha,, don't believe anything I say for a week or so! I was on morphine yesterday and hopefully the vicodins will kick in soon!

At least I got to finish up recording for Comical Imbalance's animation in Australia before I got feeling like this!
    Be kind, man

Vicodin is fun! Had it for the first time this week post teeth-pulling. Messed with my stomach big time. But I was definitely high as a kite off of two within 4 hours of each other!
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Haha,,, well, not Doctor Nick. :D

Thanks.

well,,, umm,, hernia surgery on Thursday but I tore some internal stitches I guess,,,,and it swelled, and so I had to go back in yesterday, and now I'm home and kind of a mess.

haha,, don't believe anything I say for a week or so! I was on morphine yesterday and hopefully the vicodins will kick in soon!

At least I got to finish up recording for Comical Imbalance's animation in Australia before I got feeling like this!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LbpTKaYaNmw
  • exhausted wrote:

Haha,,, My favorite guitarist ever! Jorma!

Oh man,,, don't make me laugh!

If I sneeze, I'm really in trouble!

There'll be internal organs all over my walls! :(

I don't necessarily need the buzz off that stuff. Those days are over. As a matter of fact, I've only been home from the hospital for a few hours and I already shook a bottle of Milk of Magnesia and the cap wasn't all the way on and that stuff sticks to EVERYTHING!

If I stay like this, my house AND me will both be a mess!
    Be kind, man
    oh by the way, you just sold me all your amps for $1.... canadian....

It's a deal!!

haha,,, Just as SOON as I can lift them and get them down 3 flights of stairs,,, I'll ship'm over to you!
    Be kind, man

Please, be educated about the things you might want to buy before you go to that show. There are very good dealers there, but there are alos some unscrupulous bastards who wouldn't think twice about ripping you off.
  • enharmonic wrote:
    That show is crap. I stopped going 2 years ago...grew very tired of the snake oil salesmen trying to screw me out of my hard earned.

Please, be educated about the things you might want to buy before you go to that show. There are very good dealers there, but there are alos some unscrupulous bastards who wouldn't think twice about ripping you off.

Enharmonic,,,,are you sure you weren't in a Guitar Center? :D

You DO have to watch out for yourself at that, or pretty much any big show like that. There are good and bad people there, so you have to use some judgement.
    It IS a good place to see some new gear and old if you keep your head about yourself. It's worth a look if you're that close.

Cableguy,,,, I wasn't paying proper attention,,,,, but

CONGRATULATIONS in advance on a new baby!!,,,, or maybe right now, as you haven't been back here! I hope all are healthy!

If you're in Reading,,,, hmmm I don't know any great music stores there, but a drive down the turnpike to I-76 to Bryn Mawr to Medley Music might be worth your while. They have great stuff there and good prices.

Or,,, come down to Delaware and go to Middletown Music for no sales tax. They pretty much match internet prices for gear. (You would have to stop by my house of course)

Haha, I'm laid up right now, so if you could bring some of that horrible Ensure that is my only source of nutrition now,,, I'll give you directions to Middletown! :D
    Be kind, man