peavey bandit

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
a coworker offered to trade me his peavey bandit, what i would give him is worht roughly $120, but he has no guitar so i couldn't hear how it sounded. i would prefer a tube amp instead of solid state, but i guess beggars can't be choosers. how good is this amp?
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    average, I'd offer less than 100 but the transtube peavey stuff is pretty decent for the money. If it's one of those series. I like them really. They seem to do quite well with Boss effects as well such as the Blues Driver.

I think you'll get plenty of use out of it, especially if it's the only amp you'll have.

They do have plastic input jacks so occasionally those have issues, sometimes. I think you'll like it ok though, if the gain isn't all the way up to cheeze box.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    El_Kabong wrote:
    a coworker offered to trade me his peavey bandit, what i would give him is worht roughly $120, but he has no guitar so i couldn't hear how it sounded. i would prefer a tube amp instead of solid state, but i guess beggars can't be choosers. how good is this amp?
    ? Are you crazy . . . you can get a tube amp for $149:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=304026
    Why would you consider going the bandit route when
    you can get a tube amp for relatively the same money?
    The bandit's a solid state beginners amp (don't offer
    him more than $50 for it), The V18 is a Class-A tube
    amp - beginners tube amp or not it's a better deal.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • I've heard good things about the Bandit. It's all about taste. Can you try it with any guitars YOU have?

SIDE NOTE: My beagle, Bandit, is sitting next to me...but she's no Peavey...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    ...the transtube peavey stuff is pretty decent for the money. If it's one of those series. I like them really. They seem to do quite well with Boss effects as well such as the Blues Driver.

I'm actually kind of a fan of the TransTube Peavey Bandits. I'm a tube guy, thru and thru, but the Bandit is capable of producing workable guitar tone. Being solid-state, they're capable of lower volumes, but have the ability to get loud enough for at least jamming, if not gigging. And no tubes to worry about replacing or biasing, you don't have to baby it like a tube amp, it'll last forever, and you won't cry if it goes for a swim, gets dropped off the roof, or gets swiped. If you had $120 cash, I'd say you should at least try a cheaper tube amp, but since it's a trade, it's sort of a toss-up.

Worth pointing out, this advice is only applicable if it's a newer TransTube-series Bandit.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    he ended up taking it to a pawn shop. i don't know how much he got for it but i went there to try it out and they wanted fuckin $169.95 for it! i'm sure i could get it down but i figure i could spend just as much on something better somewhere else

i need a pocket sized paco's guide to gear to carry w/ me or an hotline to call
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i need a pocket sized paco's guide to gear to carry w/ me or an hotline to call

And ian, mig, and exhausted!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V