Options

What is your favorite amp?

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I know it depends on playing style, tone and all that but I'm asking what YOU like best.

I've been kicking around replacing my amp for a while but not sure what to get, there's too many amps I'd like to own!
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Tweed Bassman (1959 or so). Vintage, not reissue. Add Fender's tube/spring reverb unit and a TS808. That's it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    I guess I get first crack.

Fender deluxe 65. either the real thing or the reissue. Put some different tubes if you don't like the ones that it comes with and put in a Weber speaker. Reliable
    To me the greatest clean tone and reverb, and cranked up it is very touch sensitive and ,,and,, and,, uhh,,,COOL.
    Stick your favorite overdrive in front of it and whammo.

Ok, Paco, grab a pina colada and tell them about the......
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
    Ahh you beat me to it. mig
    That's my other favorite!

That's okay, you got MY other favorite, so... :)

I would definitely love to have a '65 Deluxe Reverb. It would be a great big brother to my '65 Vibro Champ!
  • Options
    WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    Now for my two cents.

Get a Fender Bassman 10 4x10 combo. It's heavy, but it's quiet enough for playing in your room as well as bar gigs. They have a reputation for being able to take a lot of abuse, but I haven't tried. : ) I love the clean tone I get and I love the sound when I stomp on my trusty ts9.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    my 65 deluxe reverb RI.

i haven't done the tube and speaker changes yet since it doesn't get much use nowadays. but i love that amp.
  • Options
    goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    It's a bit excessive but I like my Hughes & Kettner TRI-Amp. Way too loud, way too clean, but runs different tones to each speaker in a 4x12. Can shut speakers off & on. Kinda cool but still makes my walls shake on 2.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    This is almost as bad as "Sophie's Choice" It's like you're asking me to choose a favorite child.

Personally. Any Blackface Fender from 1964-67 (pre CBS buyout) are my favorite amps ever. well really I love the tweed era too so basically any fender amp made from say 1954-67

Including the Super Reverb, Vibrolux and Deluxe and as always.

Nothing beats a Vibro Champ.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    The Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and the 4x12 top cab. You can get sooooo many different tones from this amp, it is sick...
  • Options
    Originally posted by RyndamRain
    The Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and the 4x12 top cab. You can get sooooo many different tones from this amp, it is sick...

what about a Road King?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    what about a Road King?

that things got more knobs than a frat reunion. it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    I have never tried a Road King...I do not know what it sounds like?

I do have a smaller Fender, I don't know what model it is, but it is great for practicing, but playing out live I like the Mesa...
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    that things got more knobs than a frat reunion. it's ridiculous.

ZING! and true.

RyndamRain. check out the specs. Similar to your Dual Rec but you can get virtually any tone you want out of it Provided you have an hour to tweek it and a shitload of patience. with progressive linkage.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/roadking/roadking.htm
  • Options
  • Options
    bite me chuckles.

i don't feel bad anymore when i think about how much that thing would have cost to re-tube.

pro junior is my plan to get the EL84 thing. i've already got the 6V6s i need.
  • Options
    Originally posted by exhausted
    bite me chuckles.

i don't feel bad anymore when i think about how much that thing would have cost to re-tube.

pro junior is my plan to get the EL84 thing. i've already got the 6V6s i need.

yeah. The pro JR. will be fun too.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    Nothing beats a Vibro Champ.

*sniff* They grow up so soon... *sniff*