Any1 know of a good guitar shop in Norhtern VA (is guitar center good for tech work?

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited December 2003 in Musicians and Gearheads
I've been trying stores left and right and am unhappy with pretty much all of them around me. Anyone know of any good shops? Do I need to drive to Maryland!?

Also does Guitar Center have good techs? I know it depends on the store and who they can hire but has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them?
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    depends on the guitar center. Look for plaque's on the wall containing the Phrase "Fender Gold Tech" Those are good fender techs. The one at my shop was certified at Martin, Fender, and several others I can't remember he had about 5 or 6 certifications and the work he did for me was excellent.

PRS is located in that region. I would assume there are some fantastic techs in the region.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Cool thanks! All but one of the PRS dealers within 100 miles of me were Guitar Centers. THe other one I went to before for other stuff and just didn't like the place.

gracias
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    I wish MARS didn't go out of business. They at least had great, knowledgable techs there and their sales ppl were generally very nice.

Called 2 guitar centers so far. The first one I had spoken with the main tech and he said he had no idea what "Fender Gold Tech" was! The 2nd one was pretty sure they were cos they are really good. I told him there'd probably be a plague or something on the wall and he seemed to draw blanks! arrrrrggggh!

On the Lace site they added a new dealer relatively close to me so here's to hope! hope's the underdog
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    see if this helps mate.

http://www.mrgearhead.com/

You should be able to get a list of certified fender Tech's here.

The best thing is probably not to ask for certification but where they went to luthier school, and how many years they have been working also if they have any experience wiring your specific guitar.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    El, when I was back your way a few months ago, I took my bass to a guitar shop in DC believe it was somewhere on M or L, Conn. They seemed knowledgeable. I didn't need anything done, it was just kind of scouting out a guitar place, just in case.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    thanks!
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • IM me its in my profile, i have some places you can go. my friend owns a guitar shop.