why can't they make this pedal?

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
why can't they make a leslie sim where you can control the rate of speed like a univibe? It's always either slow or fast.
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the rotosphere has a "brake" button that will allow you to slow it down if you are playing on the fast setting, but i never use it because i can't really control the speed at which it slows down and speeds back up when you release the button. but i see what you're saying about why can't they make it with a toggle type pedal.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Can't you do that with the captain Coconut?

I know that Mesa had a real rotating pseaker cab a few years back...the Revolver...and it could be controlled in this way.

Finally, I am pretty sure that you can do that with the deja-vibe pedal too...the one built into the rocker pedal. Dig it...

http://www.humbuckermusic.com/fudeunpe.html
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    the most authentic sound in a pedal would be the rotosphere with the brake, but you can also hook the rate pot up to the Tone In Progress 3rd hand treadle control and control that with your feet. it will cost you around 400 or so to do it that way.

The rotovibe is a cheap and dirty way to get that sound though I'm sure the tone could be improved by doing a cap upgrade.

The shin ei univibe was a terrible attempt at replicating the leslie sound. it was so bad infact that it was cool. That fulltone is pretty much an updated version of the exact original circuit it's more of a heavy phased chorus sound than the warm sound of a spinning speaker.

There are several variations of that cool tone that people like.

SRV's Cold Shot was played on a Fender Vibrotone.

Your's truely prefers the tone of a big ol leslie cabinet with a tube amp.

I believe Jacques still makes a pedal called the Spin Acher you'd be able to control with your foot or the TIP as well.

Or you can go digital and use a L6 MM4 with the control pedal.

Little Lanilei also makes small rotating speakers that are pretty cool.

Oh and the option 5 destination rotation is a decent one too from what I've heard. This can also be used with the TIP 3rd hand, or you can swap the speed knob for a larger one you can spin with your feet, such as the ones fulltone uses on their tremolo and mini dejavibe.

here is the tip 3rd hand.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I thought about a little lanei but they're too big. I almost got the Destination Rotation but I ended up getting a Captain Coconut 2. I got that for 3 reasons, i needed a fuzz too, the switch that controls the speed by how hard/fast you play and cos I ad gotten a Through Zero Flanger a few months before i got a discount.

a rotating speaker sim is different from a vibe. A vibe is more of a phased chorus using a phase to get that 'whump' sound at the end. Unless you're someone like Dave GIlmour whose band has multiple truck loads of equipment a leslie is just too big to carry around.

I looked into the spin archer when i was looking at the destination rotation but everyone on the harmony-central boards seemed to think it required too little voltage for the type of sound it was supposed to get.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    I thought about a little lanei but they're too big. I almost got the Destination Rotation but I ended up getting a Captain Coconut 2. I got that for 3 reasons, i needed a fuzz too, the switch that controls the speed by how hard/fast you play and cos I ad gotten a Through Zero Flanger a few months before i got a discount.

a rotating speaker sim is different from a vibe. A vibe is more of a phased chorus using a phase to get that 'whump' sound at the end. Unless you're someone like Dave GIlmour whose band has multiple truck loads of equipment a leslie is just too big to carry around.

I looked into the spin archer when i was looking at the destination rotation but everyone on the harmony-central boards seemed to think it required too little voltage for the type of sound it was supposed to get.

yeah, that's what I'm talking about. True Vibes use photocells and the chorus is very phase heavy, you are looking for clean organic spinning speaker tone. I get that.

The Rotosphere is your best bet in a leslie sim pedal. You can tweak the tube to get the right tone, it's the closest I know to replecating the same type of sound that tube driven leslies produce.

How do you like the CC2?
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    About the closest your gonna come is the Uni-vibe with the foot controler, http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/univibe/index.html%20,which if you find in any store, it will be a miracle. As a leslie junkie, & owner of almost every sim, I never use my uni-vibe, it's just not close enough. If you have to go with Dunlop, get the rotovibe, but you will need something to boost it. It has the weakest output of any pedal I've ever heard. I actually still have that 1 in my set up, but I have to run it with an old DOD EQ behind it for a boost. I use the Rotosphere for any leslie sounds. Occasionally the Uni-Vibe Chorus, not so much for the leslie sound, but it has a thickness that's unique to it. As for controling speed try playing barefoot, learn to turn knobs with your toes, I've seen others do it, really entertaining to watch, you forget what's being played.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

EK, I just remembered the Electro Harmonix wiggler.

It's a little cheaper than the rotosphere and very cool, you can still use the 3rd hand to control it.

I think you can also hook up a control pedal to the CC2 although that will still not give you the leslie tone.

I suggest looking into the wiggler. They can be had for 160 on Ebay.

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F14%5FModulation%2F24%5FThe%5FWiggler
    goto_l wrote:
    About the closest your gonna come is the Uni-vibe with the foot controler, http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/univibe/index.html%20,which if you find in any store, it will be a miracle. As a leslie junkie, & owner of almost every sim, I never use my uni-vibe, it's just not close enough. If you have to go with Dunlop, get the rotovibe, but you will need something to boost it. It has the weakest output of any pedal I've ever heard. I actually still have that 1 in my set up, but I have to run it with an old DOD EQ behind it for a boost. I use the Rotosphere for any leslie sounds. Occasionally the Uni-Vibe Chorus, not so much for the leslie sound, but it has a thickness that's unique to it. As for controling speed try playing barefoot, learn to turn knobs with your toes, I've seen others do it, really entertaining to watch, you forget what's being played.

yeah big flat rubber knobs work great but now there's great promise in the 3rd hand. The foot controller works great when you have a speed control out like on the CC2 but it won't work on conventional pedals unless you hard wire it. to the pot. The 3rd hand lets you use the pot so theres no modification you just slip the knob of and the arm of the hand on. It's really cool.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/tip.php
    i've owned a univibe and rotovibe before, they were decent....

the rotosphere is what mike used on the binaural tour, right? It had come down to a destination rotation and a rotosphere, can't remember what made me pick the destination rotation instead (altho i ended up witht he cc2) it was like 2 years ago.

i like the cc2, but of course there's always that nagging of 'i wonder what the destination rotation would sound like....?' overall i'm happy with it, a good quality effect. I did get the foot controller with it...or maybe i got it with the tzf...anyway it works but i was hoping for a truer leslie sim with more range than 'fast' and 'slow'

Never tried the wiggler. I was trying to fill gaps i needed before getting similar effects. Still want a pedal power2 and bos rc-20 loop station.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i've owned a univibe and rotovibe before, they were decent....

the rotosphere is what mike used on the binaural tour, right? It had come down to a destination rotation and a rotosphere, can't remember what made me pick the destination rotation instead (altho i ended up witht he cc2) it was like 2 years ago.

i like the cc2, but of course there's always that nagging of 'i wonder what the destination rotation would sound like....?' overall i'm happy with it, a good quality effect. I did get the foot controller with it...or maybe i got it with the tzf...anyway it works but i was hoping for a truer leslie sim with more range than 'fast' and 'slow'

Never tried the wiggler. I was trying to fill gaps i needed before getting similar effects. Still want a pedal power2 and bos rc-20 loop station.

yeah the loop station is awesome, there is a new version I think with even more space for loops.

the PP2 is still great.

you didn't make a bad decision going with dave fox's stuff I think, those are both really solidly good and useable effects.

sometimes I here of reliability issues with EH but thier stuff is really cool and the sound is always cool. The fact that they drove the circuit with tubes on the wiggler shows they know the sound people are after, it should sound cleaner and warmer than a rotovibe with more presence. There's also more tonal options with the controls.

The destination rotation is still out there too but I'd at least try the wiggler first.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    yeah the loop station is awesome, there is a new version I think with even more space for loops.

the PP2 is still great.

you didn't make a bad decision going with dave fox's stuff I think, those are both really solidly good and useable effects.

sometimes I here of reliability issues with EH but thier stuff is really cool and the sound is always cool. The fact that they drove the circuit with tubes on the wiggler shows they know the sound people are after, it should sound cleaner and warmer than a rotovibe with more presence. There's also more tonal options with the controls.

The destination rotation is still out there too but I'd at least try the wiggler first.

there's just too many effects out there....

Dave Fox's stuff is top notch, just sometimes i worry about my sacrificing tone for versatility.... I told him like 1 1/2 years ago ppl talked about his gear on here and it made him very happy.
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd