guitar center

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
they just opened one in greenville...we went in to check it out and man...i couldn't stand working there w/ all the ppl playing...95% of the ppl there made me look like hendrix (not that i'm mind blowing or anything)! there was one guy 'rockin out' playin smoke on the water...the look on his face like 'fuck yeah, i'm rockin out!' was too much.
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
    i usually have the opposite problem when i go to guitar stores.....i am 28 and very proud of my skills, my guitar idol is neil young, simple yet efficient......but every time i set foot in a guitar stote there is always some 15 year old kid shredding like hendrix, and it makes me rethink my ability!!
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    El_Kabong wrote:
    they just opened one in greenville...we went in to check it out and man...i couldn't stand working there w/ all the ppl playing...95% of the ppl there made me look like hendrix (not that i'm mind blowing or anything)! there was one guy 'rockin out' playin smoke on the water...the look on his face like 'fuck yeah, i'm rockin out!' was too much.

yeah tell me about it. When I worked there, our guitar tech would turn on his vaccum to run people off, worked pretty well.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • yielderyielder Posts: 160
    El_Kabong wrote:

So what is your problem?
    Greets Dave
    Antwerp -Belgium- Europe
  • One just opened up in Syracuse too and at the grand opening, it was pure mayhem. 50 people all playing guitars, drums, keyboards, Elvis was there, and free giveaways on the mic. I was just there to buy a cheap power supply for my Boss tuner. So many people playing as fast as they could, it was kind of funny. "Hey look at how good I am! What do you mean "buy" this 3000 dollar Gibson that I just broke two strings and scratched the paint on?" They all looked like Good Charlotte wannabees. I don't know where I am going with this, just wanted to add my two cents. The store was beautiful inside, anyways. Private rooms to try out the merch. Maybe I'll go back when the really cool guy that can play really, really fast leaves, so I can plod along the fretboard in relative obscurity.
    " A toast to Buffalo...who new it could be so beautiful..." EV 5/2/03

" This one's for the home team...."
    Eddie before they broke out Rats 5/12/06

Buffalo 5/2/03
    Albany 5/12/06
  • My favorite scene is Wayne's World, when he was in the music room, and the store clerk pointed at the sign on the wall:

"No Stairway" :D

I was in West LA Music once a long time ago,,,, and Neil Young was in there sitting down and checking out acoustics. He was picking and wandering around with Needle and the Damage Done. There was a guy in another section who didn't see Neil, that started playing it fancier and showing off,,, while Neil smiled and played the stock version.
    The other guy said from behind the piles of stuff,,,"You're missing part of it", so Neil asked the guy if he would come over and show him how to play it. The guy walked over showing off, saw that it was Neil, (Who is unmistakable in person) and was :o !
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

"No Stairway"

And that's why I play Stairway every single time...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • I just hate guitar center, and at one time Mars too.

Luckily Toledo has a privately owned guitar and drum center too, that has a great selection. You have to work with them on price, and yes there are a few employees that I avoid, but its still a fantastic play.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Oh man... jammer trip to new guitar center..

i say we get a van and just go all at once, grab our respective insturments and play pearl jam for a few hours... :cool:
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    One just opened up in Syracuse too and at the grand opening, it was pure mayhem. 50 people all playing guitars, drums, keyboards, Elvis was there, and free giveaways on the mic. I was just there to buy a cheap power supply for my Boss tuner. So many people playing as fast as they could, it was kind of funny. "Hey look at how good I am! What do you mean "buy" this 3000 dollar Gibson that I just broke two strings and scratched the paint on?" They all looked like Good Charlotte wannabees. I don't know where I am going with this, just wanted to add my two cents. The store was beautiful inside, anyways. Private rooms to try out the merch. Maybe I'll go back when the really cool guy that can play really, really fast leaves, so I can plod along the fretboard in relative obscurity.

I usually find a room with a matchless or a tweed twin and a good cable, pick out a strat and gently test drive. I guess after playing the same ones over and over I should probably go ahead and purchase it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I usually find a room with a matchless or a tweed twin and a good cable, pick out a strat and gently test drive. I guess after playing the same ones over and over I should probably go ahead and purchase it.

Paul, I've bought and completely reconstructed three Tele's and a speaker cabinet this summer, and am trying to scam my way into a '66 Deluxe Reverb. And I'm flat-assed broke. You know what you want, now get it already. I don't care how, just get it done (no Larry the Cable Guy references, please).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Here in Tacoma we have only one reason to go to our Guitar Center, and that's because the privately owned store, Ted Brown Music, (now has 3 branches but the original is in tacoma and is beautiful) doesn't sell Gibson Models. You walk in there, and they have different sections next to each other for the acoustics and electrics, they have amps out and plugged in in the middle of the store, and they actually encourage you to try before you buy and will bring you a bunch of guitars to try out, and the best part is that no one is on your back pressuring you to buy anything, they'll just come over and hang out with you and teach you to play better, and the best thing is, that they actually know what they're talking about. It's just awesome, the atmosphere is just great, and a lot of the people are getting to know me and my friend because we go there to hang out and just play with the teles and the strats. Compare this with how at the Guitar Center by my house the employees don't want to be there, know next to nothing, and have a very apathetic, buy something and get out attitude. I don't think I'd go to Guitar Center except to buy something I couldn't get at Ted Brown...
    He's not a leader he's a Texas leaguer...

"Our president said, 'There will be no draft, we have an all-volunteer army, and we will keep an all-volunteer army' Now here's my question, who the fuck is going to volunteer to go to that hellhole we've made over there?" Eddie at the Key Arena 10/19/04