needles

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited January 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
not sure if this is the right place, but i think the needle on my record player is messed up...but there's a pretty wide range for replacement needles...i don't think i need a $100 one, but how do i know what's crap and what's good or w/ needles does it not really matter? kinda a hard thing to research, no harmony-central for needles :D
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I dont think you need a really expensive one just to listen to songs. those are more for if you are a DJ spinnin records and shit
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    yeah, but i'm not sure what brand is a good brand? maybe shure? they seem tohave some high end needles that are used by professionals but are their lower end line just as good?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    El_Kabong wrote:
    yeah, but i'm not sure what brand is a good brand? maybe shure? they seem tohave some high end needles that are used by professionals but are their lower end line just as good?

My buddy has an SL 1200 with a Shure needle and it's fantastic. It won't get lighter than about 1.5 grams but it tracks fantastic and it sounds phenominal. I just enjoyed it's glory listening to Live At Leeds this past weekend. I think you will like Shure just fine, they are a pretty quality line all around.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • you can pick up a shure or Audio Technica cartridge for $20-$40 that will probably be as good to your ear (and vinyl) as a more expensive one. The really expensive ones are for audiophiles who have sound systems that would allow you to appreciate the improved source sound.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    ok, this is probably a dumb question but, the stylus is just the needle, right? or not? do i need a cartridge or a stylus? so the czrtridge would replace that whole part but the stylus just the needle, right?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd