mike's setup for the 2000 tour

El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
i've been listening to some old boots from 2000 and i have to say, to me, altho i think he progressed songs like nothing as it seems and countless others a lot further presently, but...granted i've only heard one show from this current tour, but out of riot act, vfc and that little canadian tour i think he sounded a lot clearer in '00.

like in nothing as it seems, they played that at a few shows and i have the boots and he rips the intro and other parts but on the middle section the 'who's kidding, rainy day...' and the last chorus it just sounds too muddy.
standin above the crowd
he had a voice that was strong and loud and
i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
eager to identify with
someone above the crowd
someone who seemed to feel the same
someone prepared to lead the way
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    El_Kabong wrote:
    i've been listening to some old boots from 2000 and i have to say, to me, altho i think he progressed songs like nothing as it seems and countless others a lot further presently, but...granted i've only heard one show from this current tour, but out of riot act, vfc and that little canadian tour i think he sounded a lot clearer in '00.

like in nothing as it seems, they played that at a few shows and i have the boots and he rips the intro and other parts but on the middle section the 'who's kidding, rainy day...' and the last chorus it just sounds too muddy.
    I like his version of NAIS from touring Band(the opening riff) and the full version from Pink Pop 2000. Mike just goes nuts.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    i remember he used an old fender blender on that song
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
    jmccue7 wrote:
    i remember he used an old fender blender on that song
    That was only studio, though.
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    I like his version of NAIS from touring Band(the opening riff) and the full version from Pink Pop 2000. Mike just goes nuts.

i haven't seen the version from pink pop, i'll have to look that up.

listening to more, on the chrous of insignificance and grievance, too...mikes parts just sound too muddy or maybe he's drowned out by other things?

i remember seeing a site that had effects, amps and guitars used on albums, does anyone remember that? was it giventowail?

edit: yes it was, giventowail

http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all#pedals
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Live he was using the Line 6 DL4 for delay and MM4 for modulation.

You should be able to see the amp rig on Touring Band though I'm not sure exactly what cabinets are his.

You might get a better phase sound out of your infinitephase if you still have it.

I'm pretty sure if you find the right setup on the MM4 you can get the right sound though, it's got some phase sweep and then he added some distortion. It might depend a bit on what side of the MM4 the distortion is added as well.

I'm pretty confident they were both there on that tour though.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

You should be able to see the amp rig on Touring Band though I'm not sure exactly what cabinets are his.

You might get a better phase sound out of your infinitephase if you still have it.

I'm pretty sure if you find the right setup on the MM4 you can get the right sound though, it's got some phase sweep and then he added some distortion. It might depend a bit on what side of the MM4 the distortion is added as well.

The MM4 in 2000? I thought he just recently brought that in...like in 2005
    Pacomc79 wrote:

hm, i thought he got the DL-4 on the riot act tour?

yeah, i still have the infinitephase, just found the power adapters to that and the cc2 last night!!!

i tried w/ a roland sde-1000 echo rack the other night but it didn't sound too close to mike's tone but then i'm sure the shitty practice amp doesn't help things too much
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:

yeah, i still have the infinitephase, just found the power adapters to that and the cc2 last night!!!

i tried w/ a roland sde-1000 echo rack the other night but it didn't sound too close to mike's tone but then i'm sure the shitty practice amp doesn't help things too much

I could be wrong. I know at one time he had an MM4 before he got the Rotosphere.

Nice, after finally getting an Octron... man I wish I'd gotten the CC2 before those prices went nuts.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    El_Kabong wrote:

I could be wrong. I know at one time he had an MM4 before he got the Rotosphere.

Nice, after finally getting an Octron... man I wish I'd gotten the CC2 before those prices went nuts.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

On the GTW page, The Riot Act board has the rotosphere but no MM4. MM4 Didn't show up until 2005. Of course, these are just pictures, I could be wrong too.
    Pacomc79 wrote:

a rotosphere or something like it would be nice...

how do you like the octron? and when'd the cc2's go up that much??
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:

Dave stopped making the CC2 because he had no time to develop stuff anymore. He started the Zim and the Aquavibe (a variation of of the Provibe sort of) The TZF and the built the Hot Silicon as a stand alone.

The price is basically speculation since he's no longer making them. Pigtronix tried something similar with an overdrive instead of the vibe and it was cool, but not like a CC2. By the way... you would LOVE thier EP1. If you get a chance to try it do it.

you know, I bet you could get a pretty killer NAIS sound using the ECS on the provibe or a speed control pedal down slow and sluggish if you played with the controls enough. I think a distorted 4 stage phaser can get that sound too.... with some analog delay. I think it's pretty much analog delay plus phase modulation.

The Octron is outstanding. It's basically an octavia smashed in the same package with an Octave Divider with a direct sound to clean it up if you want.. (you lose clarity at the top settings, the direct lets you hear some of the actual notes)

Though.... the octron is analog so it won't quite do all the cool stuff the POG can do with the tracking etc. If played simple chords with it, but it's designed to be played clean single note tracking. The octave plus ring moddy stuff is in there though and the Octave down adds a ton of bass. It sounds badass and is loads of fun especially with a fuzz behind it... it has that ripping sound that makes your inner child squeal and girls close the door to the sound room.
    El_Kabong wrote:

Dave stopped making the CC2 because he had no time to develop stuff anymore. He started the Zim and the Aquavibe (a variation of of the Provibe sort of) The TZF and the built the Hot Silicon as a stand alone.

The price is basically speculation since he's no longer making them.

you know, I bet you could get a pretty killer NAIS sound using the ECS on the provibe if you played with the controls enough. I think a distorted 4 stage phaser can get that sound too.

The Octron is outstanding. It's basically an octavia smashed in the same package with an Octave Divider with a direct sound to clean it up if you want.

The octron is analog so it won't quite do all the cool stuff the POG can do with the tracking etc. If played simple chords with it, but it's designed to be played clean single note tracking. The octave plus ring moddy stuff is in there though and the Octave down adds a ton of bass. It sounds badass and is loads of fun especially with a fuzz behind it... it has that ripping sound that makes your inner child squeal and girls close the door to the sound room.