United Center - Adding Tips to all charges?

Went to CHI Night 1 last night, and noticed that my credit card charges are way higher than what they should have been.
With the merchandise I purchase, plus the 2 times I bought, and doing the math, with tax, it seems to me like my items were charged an extra 15 to 20% for tips, that I didnt authorize or was even asked if I wanted to tip.

Did anyone else notice this?
I ended up catching it on my final purchase last night of a pretzel with cheese, should have been like 10.25 or 10.50, and I was told over $15.00, when I asked the vendor, I got a look like why I am asking about the prices, and she finally turned over the Kiosk and and looked like they have been adding tips with a pre-determined amount already selected.

Feel like this was sketchy, and that I should be asked if I want to tip.
I heard from another person it was like 16 for a beer, and then went to buy 2, and where charged over 45... and that is how they noticed the issue as well.

Heads up for anyone going to tomorrow, and feels rushed by the vendors, just check the Kiosks before you tap or insert your cards.

Comments

• bossfan92bossfan92 Boston Posts: 20
    I noticed it last night too. Mainly because I went to buy just a water ($7 on the menu) and the charge in front of me was $9.54. Was able to opt out but definitely was a blink and you miss it sort of charge.

Definitely sketchy IMO, and the system seemed to default to 22% gratuity on any concession purchase. Just checked my credit card charges for merch and the system only seemed to add sales tax of 10.25% (I'm not local but that seems to check out/be the rate?)
  • It's complete horseshit how they try to sneak that 20% tip right passed us. I was made aware of this nonsense at a Cubs game 2 weeks ago. I'm not cheap, I ALWAYS tip generously. But when you try to treat me like an asshole? Then you get nothing. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I'll decide what to tip. I don't need them forcing me in to a 22% tip on a $15 beer.

And everyone here knows me.
    I'm far from cheap.
    But don't treat me like an asshole. 
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • I'll decide what to tip. I don't need them forcing me in to a 22% tip on a $15 beer.

And everyone here knows me.
    I'm far from cheap.
    But don't treat me like an asshole. 
    Yep. This shit is ridiculous. Everywhere you go seems to ask for a tip these days but to have it built in like that is a bit much. 
  • chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 246
    edited September 2023
    Don’t blame the vendors. They don’t program the CC machines and prompt the tip. 

And oh yeah, they don’t come up with the $15 beer price either. Thank them for their service, click on custom tip and throw down a couple bucks in cash. 
  • Don’t blame the vendors. They don’t program the CC machines and prompt the tip. 

And oh yeah, they don’t come up with the $15 beer price either. Thank them for their service, click on custom tip and throw down a couple bucks in cash. 
    I think the issue here is that many of the kiosks the order rundown isn’t facing you so you don’t know the tip has been preselected. 

Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Welcome to Chicago.  NO cash venue....not an accident
  • Don’t blame the vendors. They don’t program the CC machines and prompt the tip. 

I think the issue here is that many of the kiosks the order rundown isn’t facing you so you don’t know the tip has been preselected. 

Don’t blame the vendors. They don’t program the CC machines and prompt the tip. 

Every time I purchased a cocktail, the kiosk was spun around and required a signature. The tip options were clear as day to anyone paying attention, even after being over served. 

The kiosks were never spun around for me to select a tip. After a few people I spoke to, this happened to them as well. So I wanted to bring awareness for people to today's show. The vendors did select a tip for me. Unfortunately, I did not realize this until my last purchase of something small. The vendors got me the most at the merch booth. Sucks to be taken for 40 to 50 dollars. They were just rushing you through the lines, just paid and moved on.