Chicago - A Silent Request (and LOUD Thank You)

cjoreacjorea Posts: 69
edited September 2023 in The Porch
Earlier this year, a couple days before the pre-sale, my sister, Bridget, passed away.

At her funeral, a family friend said Pearl Jam lost their biggest fan.… To which, I responded that Green Day, Weezer, James Taylor, The Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen (to name a few) did too….. She loved music, but yes, she LOVED Pearl Jam.

My sister was always a bit different in many regards, and yet not all that different than any of us.

All in all, I think we went to about ~10 shows together beginning in Hartford, and ending in Europe (Berlin and the Czech Republic) - her only international travel.

One of our favorite shows was the Boston Garden - I’ll never forget her raising her arms and yelling “Release Me” louder than I had ever heard her ‘sing’… it was an almost repeat later with Garden, “I will walk with my hands bound….” - two songs I wasn’t entirely sure she knew at the time, when in reality she probably knew them all. What made it unforgettable is for what happened later during the intro to Soldier of Love.

All in all, I have many fond memories of going to shows with her, and she cherished just about everything - from signed set lists, to drumsticks and a tambourine as graciously offered by Jill and her daughter (for which Bridget’s thank you note (in her unmistakable handwriting) read - “Dear Mrs. Pearl Jam and little girl…”)

The first time we ever went to a show together, we were planning on seeing Tom Petty, before PJ announced they were playing - I left a message on the answering machine that said “Hi Bridget this is Tom Petty - I know you were going to come see me, but Pearl Jam just announced their tour…

For weeks, she told everyone how Tom Petty called her and told her to go to Pearl Jam instead.

One of the best parts of going to a show with Bridget was the weekly calls for a show being ~6 months away - we had to have every minute of it planned out, and our 2x tickets didn’t stop her from inviting 6 of her friends.

When she won the lottery, she would describe how “Pearl Jam emailed me - they want me to go to their show.

It’s the one thing I’ve missed most from these Chicago shows - she died a couple days before the pre-sale happened.

When I stop and think about it, there are no real words to describe how much she meant to me and others around her.

The (silent) request here is for nothing more than what appears on the set list already, as Bridget would love anything that was played.

Rock it.

Post edited by cjorea on

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,426
    She sounds like she was an amazing sister. So sorry for your loss and hopefully you can enjoy these Chicago shows and  whatever songs they play. 
  • So sorry for your loss..  
    "And the young, they can lose hope
    'Cause they can't see beyond today
    The wisdom that the old can't give away, hey
    Constant recoil
    Sometimes life don't leave you alone."
  • My condolences.  I hope tonight and Thursday can help you heal.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,979
    Wow. What a sweet life and great times you shared. Awesome. Take care
  • Strength to you and your family.  Hope you can enjoy her there with you in spirit while hearing the band in Chicago.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    My deepest condolences to you OP. I lost my sister, my only sibling, unexpectedly 8 months ago and know the pain. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,467
    I am so sorry for your loss. What precious memories. It's a fragile thing this life we lead ❤️‍🩹❤️‍🩹
  • My deepest condolences to you OP. I lost my sister, my only sibling, unexpectedly 8 months ago and know the pain. 
    Deepest Condolences to you and OP
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,931
    Very sorry for your loss.  What an amazing brother you are!  Thank you for sharing your story about your sister.  🙏🏻
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• I'm so sorry for your loss 
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Thank you for all the kind words, and I hope that they may be extended to us all who have lost someone close.

Just a wall of emotion, coupled with an immense sense of gratitude - to the band and each one of you equally.

I realized a couple songs in that the last person to go see PJ with Bridget was our father, and he’s going to LOVE this bootleg as much Bridget loved all hers.