question about pedal setup

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
my board is running a gcb 95 wah - boss sd1 - boss ds1 - axl 50s tremolo - boss ph2 - boss dd3 - ibanez soundtank delay - amp
my question im considering swapping the order of the ds1 and the ds1. the reason being is that i have my sd1 on constantly for a nice bit of bite and grit over my clean sound and i like to use the ds1 to push it over the top for a dirtier sound but it tends to get a bit too much and when used live i feel as if instead of gaining "oomph" im more than likely to lose it. The other option im considering is getting rid of the ds 1 and getting a bd2 and using that for the grit and the sd1 for more oomph. any ideas opinions? im on a tight budget as i dont have as much cash as most ppl on here.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    anyone at all?
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • why don't you just try it out, man?

not to be an ass.
    i really don't think anyone here, even Pac, will have an idea what switching those two pedals around will do to the sound of your rig ...

in general (as pac has told me before! ;) ) what you want is your lower gain distortions first in your chain, followed by your high gain & fuzz devices ...

i guess it's all subjective though ...

and based on where you have your gain & level settings for the second distortion in your chain (ie if they aren't up high enough) you will end up killing some of your volume ...

those two pedals may not interact the best togeather either ...
    i can't say though. i use a ts9 mainly. ;)

anyhow ...
    sorry we suck and haven't come up with an answer for you.
    like i said, try the switch, and let us know what it sounded like.
    you aren't gonna kill anything by doing that.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • or you could try getting an aftermarket pickup installed ...
    keep one of the cleaner stocks and get something more gritty in the bridge or whatnot ...

i dunno ...
    but that's what i'm about to do.

then you could actually have a somewhat distorted, hot tone coming from your guitar ... better, imho, than needing to set a pedal for it.

think Slash or Jerry Cantrell, baby. :)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Bring your amp to the store and try out a few different stacked combinations.

I suggest looking into the cheap digitech stuff too, the Bad Monkey is supposedly a cool budget OD. The Hot Rod is cool too.

Also check out the Pro Co Rat and a Fuzz Face or Tweak Fuzz as a number 2 it'd be a different character from the DS-1.

A very popular combo for years has been TS9 to Rat. I'd imagine the SD to the rat would be cool too. More of a crunch classic rock sound, The rat is almost a fuzz.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I have a few buddies who use a Blues Driver and a Tubescreamer, and it works for them... I've tried it, and hated it, so I use a pair of modified TS-9's (and I have a Shannon OD and a Big Muff as well). It's so totally subjective, there's not much use in suggesting because you'll either like or hate different combinations. There ain't no rules, just ideas... try out anything and everything.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.