mxr microamp (need boost)

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited April 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
wondering if anyone here can help me with a dilemma. im having problems raising my overall level for lead breaks. ive tried running a seperate volume pedal (in the fx loop chain so as not to underdrive the pre amp gain) but it lowers the overall output of my amp so i have to drive it harder which i really dont want to do. I`ve been looking into getting my hands on a mxr microamp as i believe this will solve my problem but they seem to be pretty pricy for what they are (a switch and a simple gain circuit) does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives or of a good deal for a mxr microamp somewhere preferably in the uk.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• goto_lgoto_l Posts: 1,189
    Since you're in Europe, look into Hughes & Kettner products, the have a ton of stuff like you're looking for, better prices over there also.
    You men eat your dinner
    Eat your pork and beans
    I eat more chicken
    Than any man ever seen

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the microamp is a good idea. and there really isn't much cheaper than that. at least when buying new.

you could also, if you wanted a bit more control, look at getting a boss GE-7 equalizer pedal. it's got 15db boost to it plus you could really finetune your tone for leads with it.

or the equivalent of a GE-7 anyway. there are a few out there. cheapest would be the danelectro fish and chips i think.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    yeah im thinking the microamp is the best bet. my only grudge with it is the price of them here in the uk around £90 which considering the simplicity of the device (just a simple gain circuit and a switch) it seems extremely pricey! ive been trying to find one on ebay but there dont seem to be many about:( if anyone knows of anywhere i can get one cheap id be extremely happy. Also if anyone could possibly build one for a cheaper price id be very interested. £90 for a gain circuit is pretty pricey!!!
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • The Fulltone Fat Boost or Zvex Super Hard on are the ONLY way to go for volume boosting. They are built like tanks by some of the best manufacturers out there. You'll pay 150-180 for one, but it's worth it. They last forever, they sound nice and not harsh, they're true bypass, they offer customer support, they're built in Fullerton, CA and Minneapolis, MN respectively. Definately check them out. Look at http://www.harmony-central.com for reviews, and http://www.musictoyz.com sells all three.
    Let Ralph debate!

And you stare at me
    In your Jesus Christ pose
    Arms held out
    Like you've been carrying a load