soundforge help needed for demos

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hi. my latest band have been writing alot of material recently and ive been recording and cataloguing all our sessions onto minidisk. We practice set up in a room in a circle and ive just been setting the minidisk recorder mic in the middle of all of us. Its been getting everything nicely (as nicely as possible with one tiny stereo lavelier mic) the only thing that it aint picking up so well is the vocals, they are there but seem to feel and sound kinda buried in the mix. What i want to know is if anyone knows of anyway using soundforge that i can boost the central stereo image. Kinda like the oposite of what people do karaoke backing tracks in a way. therefore boosting the vocals. any ideas or help will be appreciated.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    kigcat wrote:
    hi. my latest band have been writing alot of material recently and ive been recording and cataloguing all our sessions onto minidisk. We practice set up in a room in a circle and ive just been setting the minidisk recorder mic in the middle of all of us. Its been getting everything nicely (as nicely as possible with one tiny stereo lavelier mic) the only thing that it aint picking up so well is the vocals, they are there but seem to feel and sound kinda buried in the mix. What i want to know is if anyone knows of anyway using soundforge that i can boost the central stereo image. Kinda like the oposite of what people do karaoke backing tracks in a way. therefore boosting the vocals. any ideas or help will be appreciated.

{EQ} you need to "carve out a spot" for the vocals roll off some of the bass frequencies until you find a decent spot, the problem is your source volume (voice) is not as loud as other instruments in the same register (guitars) You need two mics, one for every one else, one for the vocals, or record the vocals, after the music on a seperate track. That will give you the best results.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.