help needed with my tone kinda

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited June 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey just wanted to know if someone can give me an opinion on the order of 2 of my fx pedals. im running my tele in to a boss super overdrive then in to a boss distortion opinions welcome as to whether this is the right order or should i put them the other way around? also and ideas on settings etc.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    generally, i find that the "cleaner" of the two gains would go first if you often run them both together. so that would be SD-1 to DS-1. definition seems lost more often than not when the order is reversed.

as for settings, assuming your amp is close to saturated, i find that cranking the volume and only using as much "drive" as necessary yields the best results as far as maximizing the natural overdrive of the amp. tone control anywhere between 9 and 12 o'clock depending on the amp, guitar etc.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    exhausted wrote:
    generally, i find that the "cleaner" of the two gains would go first if you often run them both together. so that would be SD-1 to DS-1. definition seems lost more often than not when the order is reversed.quote]

yeah thats how im running it at the moment but for some reason as soon as i put the DS-1 on aswell it dont seem to cut through much more when im playing with the rest of the band weird. could just be the fact that our singer is using a 72 reissue tele with a big muff ahaha so he kinda seems to steal all the bass out of the room for himself!
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    DS-1s are kinda nortorious for a volume drop when engaged. they don't have a lot of poop to them.

apparently the DS-2 is better in that regard.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    damnit beavis! why dont boss put big warning labels on there pedals! so much for true bypass haha just have to wind the little bugger right up! thank god for my micro amp! haha. also does anyone happen to know of a tremelo pedal that doesnt suck the level out of your signal? ive got an axl fifties tremelo and i love it apart from the level drop :(
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    The only thing that matters is how it sounds and feels to YOU. Sure, there's plenty of tried and true ways to run effects...but experimentation is half of the fun.

I say that the only wrong way, is no way. Try a bunch of different settings and switching the pedals back and forth. It's only a few cables :)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    It also kinda depends on how much gain your Overdrive is set for. If the OD is cranked, then there isn't a lot of dynamic life left when you add the Distortion on top of it. Try backing off the gain of your OD and see if that clears things up a bit...

The idea of running a low-gain drive into a high-gain drive is that the first pedal will boost the signal and the second pedal will actually distort the signal.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    KG there are several good tremolo pedals out there with volume controls to avoid the drop, however they get pricey.

One way to fix the bass response and the volume of your DS and SD1 would be to mod them. The total of the mods if someone else does them will run you around 100 bucks. It makes a huge difference in the volume response, bass response and overall clarity.

I'd max the volume on the SD-1 run the gain at near 0 with the DS-1 handling the dirty. That will also aid in clarity.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.