boss tr2

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
im thinking of getting one as my axl 50s tremolo just cuts about 25% of my volume when its on and in one of the songs in my band it really does need to just kick through. whats your opinions of the tr2 is there a substantial volume drop when engaged? control wise it looks identical to my axl so i should be able to just swap em over and get the sound i want straight away (within reason)
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i had one in the past. noticed a slight drop if i remember correctly but overall it was pretty nice.

not sure how the prices compare over there but the voodoo lab tremolo is worth looking at too if the price is comparable. it's got a volume control.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    ooh may have to look into that :) btw i got my rotovibe sounding sweet :) tweaked the pots and it sounds real nice now. been playing it with my strat, a bit of OD half cocked crybaby and my dd3 :) its much fun haha
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    ah good to hear.

really, the boss is nice. i'd still have mine if my amp and pod didn't both have nice trems.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    a guy i work with is the guitarist with oliver wakemans (rick wakeman of the moody blues) band and he uses a pod alot at home but says that live its absolutely vile and instead live uses his jmp1. Whats your opinion of pods being used live as i must admit i am intrigued but the whole concept of digital modelling seems rather tasteless and vile to me (im a snob sometimes haha)
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    kigcat wrote:
    a guy i work with is the guitarist with oliver wakemans (rick wakeman of the moody blues) band and he uses a pod alot at home but says that live its absolutely vile and instead live uses his jmp1. Whats your opinion of pods being used live as i must admit i am intrigued but the whole concept of digital modelling seems rather tasteless and vile to me (im a snob sometimes haha)

It depends on your PA equipment and your penchant to tweak things. The PodXT Live is much better for live work. Pod's do not sound very good when running effects into them really so I don't much like them live except the XT Live.

I tend to be somewhat of a traditionalist.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    kigcat wrote:

i've only used it live in a solo situation with relatively clean guitar tones.

what you get out of PODs is proportional to the effort you put into the patches. it'll never sound exactly like something vintage but there are good sounds in there if you take the time to tweak.

if i was still playing live and solo, i'd be using the POD instead of an amp. because solo i only needed fairly clean electric tones. i like the clean tones. i use it as a preamp/EQ for my acoustics as well and it's great. it works fine with my clean boost, my modulations and my delays, i just find it doesn't take overdrives and some fuzzes very well.

i wouldn't use it in a band situation but for my recording, it's great. i love it. i switch between mic'ed speakers and acoustic and the POD as the whim hits me. and i can do lots of really freaky, noise tracks with a POD that i couldn't do with an amp and without my wife divorcing me.
  • I use the Line 6 ToneCore Tap Tremolo, and it's amazing. Very versatile, great sound, and no volume drop. I'd seriously suggest checking one out...

http://www.line6.com/tonecore/tapTremolo.html

Just an aside... anyone tried the new ones out? Specifically the Roto-Machine, Otto Filter, or VerbZilla? I'm intruiged... especially the VerbZilla.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    if i win the orange, i'll be looking at the verbzilla.

of course, i'll hide it under fake rubber bark so it looks better.
  • I would never use a POD in a live setting. Too many buttons and knobs and to make it sound good, you'd have to run it directly into the PA. I rely on my amp and pedals in a live setting. I use them to the full extent for example: adding an extra OD and rubbing my guitar on the amp to control feedback.

I hear that the POD xt is an amazing recording tool though.
  • exhausted wrote:
    if i win the orange, i'll be looking at the verbzilla.

of course, i'll hide it under fake rubber bark so it looks better.

They ain't winning any beauty contests, but they sure as hell sound good. I'm liking my DigiVerb, but there's always something else out there. I might consider a VerbZilla when I start building my acoustic pedalboard.
    i haven't read too much on the brand new ones. i keep hearing noise complaints about the echo park but i've never had occasion to try one.
    i wonder why i typed "fake rubber bark" instead of "fake rubber puke" as i had intended.

maybe i had a stroke in my sleep last night.
  • exhausted wrote:
    i wonder why i typed "fake rubber bark" instead of "fake rubber puke" as i had intended.

maybe i had a stroke in my sleep last night.

I figured it was a vague Radiohead reference...

I have no real interest in the Echo Park, I'd stick with Boss DD-series. But I love my Tremolo... One of Built to Spill's guitar players had one... (not Doug)and the rest sound pretty damn good (except the Flange and Chorus... who needs flange or chorus?) They're damn-well built, too. You could toss it at the bass-player's head and put it back on the pedalboard, no problem.
    my hatred of flange rivals your hatred of chorus.

there is one very specific chorus sound i like though and it shall be mine again one day.
  • I would never use a POD in a live setting. Too many buttons and knobs and to make it sound good, you'd have to run it directly into the PA. I rely on my amp and pedals in a live setting. I use them to the full extent for example: adding an extra OD and rubbing my guitar on the amp to control feedback.

I hear that the POD xt is an amazing recording tool though.

The POD can be a useful live tool in one of two ways: You use it solely as a multi-FX unit, run it into your amp, and DON'T use the modelling; OR you use it as a complete package and run it directly into the PA.

The PODxt is set up ideally to use as just a multi-FX unit, and I've seen it used that way a few times. It sounds pretty good. But if you're sending a modeled tone into a guitar amp, you're essentially amping it twice, which defeats the purpose. The problem is when people get a "have my cake and eat it" mentality with their modelers.

Ex, don't worry, I hate flange too... but I too have a guilty pleasure: envelope filters. You can have your chorus, I'll have my EF.
  • I'm thinking of getting a TR-2, but can't decide if I should go for a Wah or Tremolo pedal right now. Which one do you think is more essential and usefull? My effects are pretty basic right now, a BD-2 and an RV-3. Which effect should come next? I'm pretty sure I wont use a Wah pedal for the "funk style" effect, because I'm not really into it. I do play mostly rhythm (Stone!) so, would a tremolo be usefull?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    stefanwa wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting a TR-2, but can't decide if I should go for a Wah or Tremolo pedal right now. Which one do you think is more essential and usefull? My effects are pretty basic right now, a BD-2 and an RV-3. Which effect should come next? I'm pretty sure I wont use a Wah pedal for the "funk style" effect, because I'm not really into it. I do play mostly rhythm (Stone!) so, would a tremolo be usefull?

If you're mostly a rhythm player the tremolo is probably more useful for you currently, a wah is almost a seperate instrument.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.