dilemma with new strat

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited July 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok im getting a new usa strat in 2 tone burst within the next 3/4 weeks hopefully. only problem is i cant decide between a maple or rosewood fingerboard. come on guys help me decide!!!
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the unseenthe unseen Posts: 372
    go play guitars with both kinds of fret woods.

your ears will give you a better answer as to what suits you better than the opinions of people on a message board.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    considering fender absolutely dunks their maple necks in poly, covering the frets etc.etc you get a lot of chipping and separation as the wood shrinks/expands at the fret ends and chipping from play on the board itself. you'd need to have the shop *properly* clean up the frets and that should cut down on the chipping.

the problem is much reduced on the rosewood necks since the board itself has no poly on it. still have the problem at the ends but not as pronounced. in fact, with my 2000 strat w/ rosewood, it was negligible.

that's been my experience with a 1996 tele with a maple neck and two 95s and one 2000 strat w/ rosewood necks.

and overall, i prefer the rosewood neck anyway for feel.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    yeah i got a tele with a maple neck and a les paul with i think its either ebony or rosewood neck. Im pretty sure im gonna go with rosewood but lately ive been leaning slightly more towards maple. Oh well got a few weeks to decide hahaha.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    maple is brighter. personally it's a wash for me, I'm probably going with rosewood, but maple is just fine. The 50th Anniversary American Deluxe is maple and it sounds fantastic through just about anything but especially through a bassman or a matchless.

I think I've found my sound, It's fender blackface or tweed through 10's. Single Coils or hollowbodies with humbuckers.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.