question regarding my new strat.

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited August 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
hey guys. as you can probably guess im loving my new us strat :) only thing is its got stock 9s on it which is a bit of a bitch as i prefer 10s. i wanna change them and im pretty sure i cant just swap em over and it`ll be ok straight away. Im kinda worried about the whole floating trem issue. I can deal with the intonation of the saddles easily (been tweaking my tele for years) im just kinda dreading if i`ll have to adjust the truss rod. anyone got any ideas or advice for me on this. I cant really afford to send it to a tech at the moment as i just paid a small fortune (to me haha) on the guitar. a guy at work said that it should be fine and i`ll probably just have to adjust the saddles a bit.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    kigcat wrote:
    hey guys. as you can probably guess im loving my new us strat :) only thing is its got stock 9s on it which is a bit of a bitch as i prefer 10s. i wanna change them and im pretty sure i cant just swap em over and it`ll be ok straight away. Im kinda worried about the whole floating trem issue. I can deal with the intonation of the saddles easily (been tweaking my tele for years) im just kinda dreading if i`ll have to adjust the truss rod. anyone got any ideas or advice for me on this. I cant really afford to send it to a tech at the moment as i just paid a small fortune (to me haha) on the guitar. a guy at work said that it should be fine and i`ll probably just have to adjust the saddles a bit.

You should give the truss rod about a 1/4 turn or so tilting the neck back in order to compensate for the extra tension I'd say, then set the intonation and you'll be cool. One other issue you might have is tremelo spring strength. If it starts to pull up you'll need to add another spring.

But don't take my word for it, read better info

Check out http://www.mrgearhead.com (fender's tech site)

and http://www.projectguitar.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.