Options

Light Years for Al (St. Paul night 2 or Ft. Worth night 2)

ilovealiloveal Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in The Porch
My husband (and longtime Pearl Jam fan) died in May 2022 from brain cancer. After going to the Home Shows, he and I always wanted to travel to different states/countries to watch our favorite band as often as we could. When the 2020 tour was announced, we got tickets to all 3 shows in SoCal. Although we didn’t travel far, this was the first for us going to consecutive shows and we were elated! Of course, we all know what happened in the world and the tour was delayed. My husband’s brain tumor started growing again, and in late 2020, he started treatment again. We thought we was responding well until March 2021, when he suffered from treatment effects and lost ability to move his right arm and leg, leaving him in a wheelchair. Even with all the therapies, he never regained the ability to walk or use his right arm. The side effects from treatment deteriorated my husband over time and left him bedridden. My husband then began suffering from seizures almost monthly, each episode landing him in the hospital. Each hospital visit took a toll on him, and he became sicker than before. In November 2021, my husband lost his ability to speak. He laid in bed, unable to move or speak, a prisoner in his own body. My 11 year old son and I watched as his dad became weaker and weaker, and on May 25, 2022, my husband died. This has left both me and my son a wreck. My husband never got to attend those delayed 2020 tour dates. Instead, I took my son to the shows. My husband wanted us to continue living our lives as is and not feel sorry for him. However, those shows were painful because he was supposed to be there. 

When this current 2023 tour was announced, I wanted to honor what my husband and I always wanted to do, travel to see the boys play. So, I put in for 2 shows, St. Paul N2 and Ft. Worth N2 and because I believe in Miracles, I got tickets to both shows (hubby pulled some strings, I’m sure). I am taking my son with me. He is stoked to see his favorite band play in 2 different states. I’m excited to live this out for my husband, for us! He will be there with us (spiritually), I know. 

Light Years has been a song constant on my mind and playlist since Al died. This song has so much meaning. Al was the light in our life, he made us better people. I have yet to hear it live and would love it if the boys would play this song during one of the shows my son and I will be attending. So, if anyone can let anyone know, pass it along. Please play Light Years for Al.

Post edited by iloveal on