violin pick ups and practice amp question.

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited August 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
yo guys. A woman i work with recently told me that she is a grade 8 classical violinist and is looking into putting a pick up in to her violin. Ive been looking on ebay for her for prices on pick ups and transducers but im kinda stumped when it comes to ideas for amps. She was told by a guy in a local music shop that you cant use normal guitar practice amps. (this guy also quoted her £300 to have the transducer pick up installed!! ) Im rather dubious about what he said and think he was just kinda fishing her for money.Just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this kinda thing or knows whether or not you can use a normal guitar practice amp with a transducer pick up in a violin.
On another note i just played my tele for the first time in about 10months and it was her first experience with my bd2 and univibe :) needless to say we were both really happy with the experience haha.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Honestly, any amp will work, especially if all she wants is overall volume. But if she wants to get more clarity, I'd suggest a good acoustic guitar amp. There are a lot of brands and models out there, Fender and Crate and SWR, etc. If she wants to do some more experimental things, like effects and stuff, a good solid-state guitar amp is the way to go.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.