Options

Winning Time: The Rise of the Lakers Dynasty

Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
Is anyone else enjoying this show?
I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    I just finished this week's episode a few minutes ago actually. Thought it was great. I'm ready for them to axe Westhead!

I follow Jeff Pearlman on twitter. Apparently he is concerned about it not getting picked up for a third season. That would be a damn shame. Really good show. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I just finished this week's episode a few minutes ago actually. Thought it was great. I'm ready for them to axe Westhead!

I follow Jeff Pearlman on twitter. Apparently he is concerned about it not getting picked up for a third season. That would be a damn shame. Really good show. 
    I just finished the last episode too.  I wonder if this gets to play out if the intention is to tell the story up to the 1991 Finals when the Bulls dynasty starts.
  • Options

I just finished the last episode too.  I wonder if this gets to play out if the intention is to tell the story up to the 1991 Finals when the Bulls dynasty starts.
    I believe that is how the book is structured
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    The casting in this is spot on. Especially Magic & Kareem. (And of course, Nixon is as well cast as the dude who played Ice Cube in Straight Outta Compton).
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

I believe that is how the book is structured
    Yeah I'm pretty sure the book went up to that point.  Great book.  All of Pearlman's books are great.  The 86 Mets book is the best one.
  • Options
    This week's episode is one of their best. I know they said "this really happened" but I'd love to see just how real that press conference actually was.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This week's episode is one of their best. I know they said "this really happened" but I'd love to see just how real that press conference actually was.
    That was pretty awesome.  “I’m just trying to figure out lunch.” This season has been better than the first IMO.
  • Options
    Ugh....what a punch to the gut that ending montage was. I knew there was a chance it was gonna be cancelled because on twitter, Jeff Pearlman was desperately begging people to watch the show. But I kind of forgot about it and I was sooo into last night's episode. Man it was awesome. The music was spot on. The game scenes seemed incredibly realistic. Tons of drama. The old school HBO intro! The CBS NBA intro! 

I read somewhere that they envisioned doing maybe 3 seasons with kind of a Star Wars arc. This one was basically Empire with the Celtics crushing their souls at the end. But we all know there's a Return of the Jedi story that comes next and it's pretty devastating that we're not going to see it.

Ending "Winning Time" with one of the most devastating losses that franchise ever suffered sucks so much.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh....what a punch to the gut that ending montage was. I knew there was a chance it was gonna be cancelled because on twitter, Jeff Pearlman was desperately begging people to watch the show. But I kind of forgot about it and I was sooo into last night's episode. Man it was awesome. The music was spot on. The game scenes seemed incredibly realistic. Tons of drama. The old school HBO intro! The CBS NBA intro! 

I read somewhere that they envisioned doing maybe 3 seasons with kind of a Star Wars arc. This one was basically Empire with the Celtics crushing their souls at the end. But we all know there's a Return of the Jedi story that comes next and it's pretty devastating that we're not going to see it.

Ending "Winning Time" with one of the most devastating losses that franchise ever suffered sucks so much.

Well shit.  I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but that sucks.  When I do watch, I'll make sure to lower my expectations.  Sad to see this show end so soon and so abruptly.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Damn.  That's a bummer.  Really enjoyed the show.  The casting was great.  There aren't many weekly shows to look forward to anymore these days...
  • Options
    Damn.  That's a bummer.  Really enjoyed the show.  The casting was great.  There aren't many weekly shows to look forward to anymore these days...
    I just started Band of Brothers. Saw it pop up on netflix over the weekend. Only watched a couple episodes when it aired twenty years ago.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    Well if it had to end, what a way to go out. Possibly the greatest hour in television history.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I just started Band of Brothers. Saw it pop up on netflix over the weekend. Only watched a couple episodes when it aired twenty years ago.

wow...great series
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    I’ve started Succession.  It’s been on my radar for a while and I may as well dive in now.  Seven episodes in now.
  • Options
    I’ve started Succession.  It’s been on my radar for a while and I may as well dive in now.  Seven episodes in now.
    God speed. I miss it already. One of those shows where you need to let it breathe. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I started watching this randomly last night.

It's one of the best shows I have ever seen.  I'm horrified to see it will never be finished.  John Reilly is amazing in it.  I pissed my pants to see adrien brody play a young pat Riley.  
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I started watching this randomly last night.

It's one of the best shows I have ever seen.  I'm horrified to see it will never be finished.  John Reilly is amazing in it.  I pissed my pants to see adrien brody play a young pat Riley.  
    I know right!? I cannot believe it is cancelled. I binged the last three episodes again last night. It's like a movie, it's so good. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I finally brought myself to watch the “finale.” That’s a tough way to end a series.  I really wish I could have seen the 1985 and 1987 series would have been portrayed.  Hell, even in 88 when the Bad Boy Pistons came onto the scene and that classic 7-game final.   I’m going to miss this show a lot.