pinging strat??

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited September 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok here goes... just got my strat back after having it set up for 10`s as opposed to standard factory nines. It plays absolutely lovely and you can really bite into it now and its got so much more tone and sustain! One problem though is that if i use the trem arm i can hear one of the strings kinda pinging as it drops, i think its the G string. The strings are brand new on there so it may go in a day or so once theyve bedded in im hoping. I get the impression that it may be catching on the nut (he did say he filed the nut a bit) anyone got any ideas or will it stop once theyre bedded in?
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• kigcat wrote:
    ok here goes... just got my strat back after having it set up for 10`s as opposed to standard factory nines. It plays absolutely lovely and you can really bite into it now and its got so much more tone and sustain! One problem though is that if i use the trem arm i can hear one of the strings kinda pinging as it drops, i think its the G string. The strings are brand new on there so it may go in a day or so once theyve bedded in im hoping. I get the impression that it may be catching on the nut (he did say he filed the nut a bit) anyone got any ideas or will it stop once theyre bedded in?
    def sounds like the string is catching on the nut m8.try using a soft pencil on the nut see if that makes any difference.If not you need to get the needle files out.
    Cornell pwns u
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    what do you mean by a soft pencil? to kinda fill any rough edges where its been filed or something? any idea what size needle file id have to use?
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    upon closer inspection ive noticed that it may actually be more of a creaking from the springs in the trem is there a way to kinda oil them or is it just cause they are new??
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    http://www.guitaristonly.com/

Hey KIG, try some Big Bends Nut sauce on your Nut and bridge and maybe the springs too. Should work for you. MusiciansFriend and many local stores should carry it too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.guitaristonly.com/

Hey KIG, try some Big Bends Nut sauce on your Nut and bridge and maybe the springs too. Should work for you. MusiciansFriend and many local stores should carry it too.

I love nut sauce!

:)
  • kigcat wrote:
    what do you mean by a soft pencil? to kinda fill any rough edges where its been filed or something? any idea what size needle file id have to use?
    no mate,the lead from the pencil acts as a lubricant on the nut.or like the other dude said get some nut sauce.
    Cornell pwns u
  • kigcat wrote:
    upon closer inspection ive noticed that it may actually be more of a creaking from the springs in the trem is there a way to kinda oil them or is it just cause they are new??
    if its really bad one thing i did with an old ibanez was cover the springs in vaseline that stopped the noise or cover them with a piece of foam(that is if you've got the backplate on)
    Cornell pwns u
    just tried the pencil trick on the nut groove and it worked beautifully :) God i love this guitar even more now i got 10`s on it as opposed to thin toneless 9`s haha.... only thing is now not only is my girlfriend feeling neglected so are my telecaster and les paul haha im in the dog house with one girl two electric guitars and my electro acoustic eeek oh well at least im smiling :D
    oh and paco im definately gonna get some nut sauce i saw on it a website a few weeks ago and was highly intrigued haha gonna order it when i order my next bulk load of strings :)
  • kigcat wrote:
    just tried the pencil trick on the nut groove and it worked beautifully :) God i love this guitar even more now i got 10`s on it as opposed to thin toneless 9`s haha.... only thing is now not only is my girlfriend feeling neglected so are my telecaster and les paul haha im in the dog house with one girl two electric guitars and my electro acoustic eeek oh well at least im smiling :D
    im glad it worked 4 u m8:)
    Cornell pwns u