advice from people in bands.

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited November 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
so my band is currently on a break due to our bass travelling around asia for a few months. To tell you the truth im kinda glad of the break as its giving me time to play for myself and my own enjoyment. Only thing is that lately ive been feeling really bitter about the band as a whole and am constantly slagging us off and generally being a bit moody about it. kinda weird. In retrospect im not so sure about our material i dunno if its cause we`ve been slogging the same tracks out for the last year to get them gig tight. Dunno why im saying this just wondering if anyone else has ever felt this way. Im really good mates with all the members of the band i just feel like i kinda wanna distance myself from it. ok rant over gonna go get a hug from my strat now.
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I think I have been in a similar situation. It took the band I am in a year and a half to be good enough to play out. There were times we couldnt figure out a schedule so not everyone would be there. We would have half band practices all the time. But when we would get together it was really productive and a good time, so we just kept it goin. We finally got to play out a couple months ago and it was the most fun I have had. It's all worth it once you get to play and entertain people. We had 150 people at our bar show, but it was like we owned them. You cant really understand the power of music until you play for people and they really dig it.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i want a band where it's one night a week for shits & giggles.

a chance for a bunch of guys with wives/mortgages/kids to crank the amps and have some fun.
    Place an ad in the local musicians magazine Ex....thats your best bet
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i know. i really should. i just can't get myself over the hump. i wish i had more friends that played.
  • I know this post is old, but i thought i'd add my two cents.
    On Sunday I left the band I'd started with the keyboardist around 4 years ago. There was no bitterness really but I'd just drifted and it was time to get out and start to burn for something new... i love playing gigs so that wasn't the issue... mostly it was past tensions from certain members being overly undemocratic in important decisions (i.e. railroading a decision for new singer by threatening to end the band) and continuing their shitty ways.. i guess you could say that is bitterness, but i guess it just builds over time.

Anyway, what i can tell you about feeling the way you do... in the end you just have to do what you feel... a band is just one vehicle for your creativity and your music. You will always play so just do what feels exciting and fresh. No matter how long i'd been in the band and all i'd put it in, i'd felt it was time to move on... i was maybe a touch sentimental but i'm so surprised that it wasn't more so! Now it's 4 days since the decision and i'm excited for the future and i'm back to getting into spending money on my rig! Just do what feels exciting, dont push the decision, just go with the flow and u will know what to do ;)
    |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
    "It is I, with the empty bladder!"

www.nowalletevolution.com
    To tell you the truth, I was more depressed about losing the extra income than I was about quitting the band....thats when you know its time to go