strap locks on strats

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
does anyone else here find that the screws that hold the strap button into the body of strats constantly work loose? Ive never had this problem with any of my other guitars. Why is it only happening on my prize beast usa strat??
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    yes. on all my guitars with the schaller buttons. i think the friction between the button and the lock eventually works them loose.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    know any remedies? haha my nightmare is my strat coming off and crashing to the ground
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    i stuck a toothpick in the hole to force it a bit tighter.

the buttons on my tele are actually worn down from the friction between them and the locks.
    im wondering if fitting those cloth textile washers between the strap button and the body would help at all. i used jim dunlop ones before and never had this problem before. These schallers just make me worry.
    my fenders had the cloth washers so i don't think they'll have an impact.

i now just use those plastic ones.

http://www.sheehans.com/PRODUCTS/1/ST04899t.JPG
    may just go back to jim dunlop ones then as they never caused me any hassle. I just prefer the look of the schallers.
    they're easy too since they just snap on and stay on the strap but at the same time, if you're worried about the button falling out, you'd never risk playing behind your head or with your teeth or something. :)

i had them in my les paul come to think of it and they never came loose in that guitar but i don't play it nearly as much either.
    may just swap the set off of my tele tomorrow and put the schallers on that instead haha. Playing with teeth is sooo last century im gonna try playing with my toes instead :) at least that way she aint got as far to fall ;)
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I have the Schallers on my Strat, for about the past 3 or 4 months. I don't gig out, but so far they've held without a problem. I basically broke a toothpick into quarters and shoved all four pieces in the hole, then screwed in the strap lock. Like I said, so far so good.

Dipping the pieces of toothpick into a little wood blue beforehand probably wouldn't hurt either.
  • jbdjbd Posts: 65
    The best thing to do is to get everything off, put a match inside the hole, cut off the extra, then screw the straplock back in. Then unscrew it again, spread some superglue on the screw and get everything back in place. I've done that for all my guitars/bass. It's been at least 6 months now, and I've never had to touch the straplocks ever since...
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    yes, i have that problem.