drastic changes in my musical life!

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
some of you here may know that for the last few years ive been in a local original psychedelic indie band where i live. As of last sunday that came to an end due to many reasons including differences of opinion of how the band works, workload of the band, writing ideas, general presentation of the band and probably the main deciding factor being the ego generated in members of the band. I was kinda "kicked out" but id had my doubts about it all for a few months when it started ending up that the self created image of the band was more important than the fun of the band. I play cause i enjoy playing and itd stopped being fun when the rest of the band started to believe there own hype. However this has left me to take a huge step back (or forward as i really do see it for my future as a player) and i have decided to completely start from scratch all over again and learn everything about playing all over again and properly this time. Ive been playing for 17 years and in those 17 years ive mostly neglected alot of theory and focused on as i now see it "trying" to play via experience of time. In the last week i can safely say my playing has jumped ahead in leaps and bounds :D i havent felt this good about my playing in years :) and to top it all of i start on the new mixing desk at where ive worked for the last 7 years at allen and heath next week :D the i-live :D a fully digital live desk which is going to be the most advanced product the company has ever made and theyre gonna let me be in charge of the test and support department :D just goes to show that sometimes what look like a bad thing can actually lead to greater things in the long run :D
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Right on. Keep on learning. I played guitar for 10 years before I started taking lesson in October of 2004. I'm still taking them now and it was the best move I ever made.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • kigcat wrote:
    ive mostly neglected alot of theory and focused on as i now see it "trying" to play via experience of time. In the last week i can safely say my playing has jumped ahead in leaps and bounds :D

interesting story.
    sounds like you bailed out of a situation with a bunch of egotistical fucks, and are now capable of persuing personal growth. that's good!

i'd be curious to know what this new focus of yours has been.
    i don't know what "trying" to play via experience of time actually means ...

... but it sounds like we may have been in the same boat.
    i know i always sit down thinking, "today i'm going to try and practice a scale" or some such ... but i always revert right back to senselessly jamming, or copying a song ...

... i do know most of the basic scale positions, but i wouldn't say i'm "fluid" ...

... so WHAT have you been doing different now, specificaly?

curiously,
    -nik-
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?