acoustic set up advice

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited October 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
so ive just gone up from gauge 10 to gauge 12 strings on my acoustic the action seems to be a little higher (could be my imagination though) just wondering if anyone reckons i should slacken my truss rod off at all and if so by how much?
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's most likely your truss rod. The tension is higher and pulling harder on the neck.
    Take a straight edge and lay it of the fretboard, or sight down the fretboard. You'll probably see a forward bow to the neck.

You want to tighten the truss rod to bring the neck back. Just turn the nut slowly, and about 1/8 turn at a time. (Righty Tighty! not Lefty Loosey!) Don't crank on that sucker too much! :)

Ok, now adjust the truss rod to the exacting specs of: "How ever you like it!" :D If it feels good, and not buzzing, you're there!

One thing to watch, though, especially if the guitar is older,,, if the truss rod nut is stuck or frozen in place, don't force it. It's also good to loosen it a wee bit before you tighten it, so it frees up. You can also put a tiny drop of oil on it to keep it from freezing up in the future.

Good luck!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You want to tighten the truss rod to bring the neck back. Just turn the nut slowly, and about 1/8 turn at a time. (Righty Tighty! not Lefty Loosey!) Don't crank on that sucker too much! :)

Ok, now adjust the truss rod to the exacting specs of: "How ever you like it!" :D If it feels good, and not buzzing, you're there!

One thing to watch, though, especially if the guitar is older,,, if the truss rod nut is stuck or frozen in place, don't force it. It's also good to loosen it a wee bit before you tighten it, so it frees up. You can also put a tiny drop of oil on it to keep it from freezing up in the future.

Good luck!
    +1
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go