question regarding new amp

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited January 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hi as some of you know i recently got myself the head version of the harley benton GA5. Theres a strong possibility i may be joining a new band soon doing classic rock covers (and some pearl jam :) ) Its 5watts class A and im running through a marshall 4x12 angled cab. I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be loud enough to do pub and bar gigs with? At the moment my FX board consists of:
guitar into:
boss TU-2
crybaby wah
ibanez ts 9
boss Blues driver
univibe
boss dd3
mxr micro amp (for volume boosts for leads)
harley benton GA5H

anyone got any opinions on the order of pedals? At the moment i dont think clean tones are going to be overtly needed.
any help, ideas, opinions appreciated.
kig
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• if the clubs you play at have a soundman that mikes all of the amps you should be ok. if things are unmiked you are going to need something that is a little more powerful. class a is loud, but when you have a drummer banging on cymbals and a second guitarist with say a 50 watt marshall your 5 watt class a is going to get drowned out.

i play a 35 watt matchless clubman and my other guitarist plays a 30 watt bad cat hot cat (both of which are class a) and those are very loud compared to my 50 watt marshalls. we could play a good sized club without the benefit of a soundman, but we always pay to have one there so we can have decent stage volume without taking the heads off of the people in the first few rows standing in front of our cabinets.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    There was a guy on TGP the other day complaining that his second guitarist was playing a 5 watt amp and that is sounded like a rat farting into a paper bag.
    Not talking about you by any chance ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    haha nah that wont be because of 3 reasons.
    1. it aint left the house since the day i got it.
    2. I aint had a practice yet with the new band
    3. (probably the most important one) i live in the wilds of england on the tip of the south west in cornwall)
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
    kigcat wrote:
    haha nah that wont be because of 3 reasons.
    1. it aint left the house since the day i got it.
    2. I aint had a practice yet with the new band
    3. (probably the most important one) i live in the wilds of england on the tip of the south west in cornwall)

Ah shit, if you live there, why did you buy a wee amp, and not a raging monster ?? How's the windsurfing been ?

Going on the advice on TGP, you will need an extra rat and alarger paper bag to gig that amp, especially since your drummer is likely to be a long armed simian with a broken nose and a tenderncy to froth at the mouth while playing double kick solos.
    arggh ye know ye place of me people well do ya? ooh arghh shiver me timbres ;)
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i bet that little thing sounds cool through a 4x12". even the little 1x12" my valve jr. goes through made a world of difference.
    it sure does and it may only be 5watts but its bloody loud as hell through the 4x12 which is why i am considering trying it at a band practice. I doubt it`ll be much use for gigs but smaller pub gigs and it may actually work if i run it at full blast with a tube screamer. (do ya reckon running it on full will do it any damage?)
    kigcat wrote:
    it sure does and it may only be 5watts but its bloody loud as hell through the 4x12 which is why i am considering trying it at a band practice. I doubt it`ll be much use for gigs but smaller pub gigs and it may actually work if i run it at full blast with a tube screamer. (do ya reckon running it on full will do it any damage?)

Nah, you will be right. Guitar amps are made to run in the zone of abuse that creates great tone.
    Ventilation is important though, too much heat will melt solder and set fire to the PCB.