The SG guitar

||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
I can't afford a Gibson SG, so what is the next best brand? The Epiphone SG looks good, as does the Westfield one.

Any recommendations?
"This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My little bro has the epiphone. It has served him well. Ive also had a few epiphone les pauls in the past and preffered the action to the gibson models i tried. I would go with the epiphone matey if you cant afford the real deal
    www.myspace.com/dhmarks - Me

www.myspace.com/jackietreehornmusic - The Band
  • mojorison_75mojorison_75 Posts: 157
    I personally would go with the Epiphone. If you have access to a good music store go in and try them out. I have an Epi Les Paul that plays like a dream, but a friend of mine has one that played like a dog when he first got it and still isn't nearly as good as mine.

Epiphone makes some really nice guitars, but try before you buy if at all possible.
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    thanks you guys. There's an Epiphone SG in the local music store so i'll check it out.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Epiphone has several models based on the SG, so make sure you get a decent one, not one of the econo models. If I were you, I'd look at the G-400 model. The Gibson Faded SG is pretty affordable, too...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Dude ...
    this seems to be a rare known fact right about know ...
    but ...

YOU CAN GET AN SG for LESS THAN $650 !! !! !!

is that out of your price range?

seriously ... look up
    GIBSON SG FADED
    key word = FADED

that means your finish isn't all shiny, glossy, whatever ... but it's the EXACT SAME SG you pay over 1000 for ... it just looks 'vintage' ...

they sell new for $650
    my local music store sells them for $590

I FUKIN WISH these were available when i shelled out $699 for a gay ass Epiphone Les Paul ...

i could be playing a REAL gibson right now :( :( :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Originally posted by DriftingByTheStorm
    Dude ...
    this seems to be a rare known fact right about know ...
    but ...

YOU CAN GET AN SG for LESS THAN $650 !! !! !!

is that out of your price range?

seriously ... look up
    GIBSON SG FADED
    key word = FADED

that means your finish isn't all shiny, glossy, whatever ... but it's the EXACT SAME SG you pay over 1000 for ... it just looks 'vintage' ...

they sell new for $650
    my local music store sells them for $590

I FUKIN WISH these were available when i shelled out $699 for a gay ass Epiphone Les Paul ...

true. if you cant afford 1000, or are thinking about an epi..just get the sg faded. BUT...it looks like shit up close. and i hear they are actually pretty cheap, i guess they cut alot of corners to get that price down..not just ont he finish...

On the Gibson Faded SG, you pay $400 for the guitar and another $200-250 for the word "Gibson" on the headstock.

The high-end Epiphones are actually better guitars, and you don't pay for the name.

So, how much is one word worth to ya?
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    On the Gibson Faded SG, you pay $400 for the guitar and another $200-250 for the word "Gibson" on the headstock.

The high-end Epiphones are actually better guitars, and you don't pay for the name.

The elites are very very nice. Also if you can get over the style and name on the headstock Schecter Diamond Series guitars are some of the best built in the biz at that price.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by mccreadyisgod

McCready, and Pacoma ...
    thanks for the INFO ...
    now i feel better about my Epi Les Paul ... almost ...
    where do you guys drag this information from?

the assholes at my local music store are scum,
    i specificaly asked them if it was the SAME as a regular Gibby SG and they said "YES, it's JUST the finish"

so where'd you find out about all the reduced quality parts...
    harmony central or other?
    McCready, and Pacoma ...
    thanks for the INFO ...
    now i feel better about my Epi Les Paul ... almost ...
    where do you guys drag this information from?

the assholes at my local music store are scum,
    i specificaly asked them if it was the SAME as a regular Gibby SG and they said "YES, it's JUST the finish"

so where'd you find out about all the reduced quality parts...
    harmony central or other?

well some from harmony central. Mostly from digging around. The gibson website. What I know from personal experience with gibson quality control. (The do have excellent customer service though throw my dealings)

For instance, Epi Elite Dot (Es 335) Body 5 piece Laminated maple. Grover Tuning Machines USA built PAF copies $1100

Gibson ES-333 (faded 335) Poplar body (laminated poplar is very cheap used in Chinese made Squires) Standard Gibson 490R 498T pickups Shitty Kluson tuners crappy finish $1000

Gibson ES-335 5 pc laminated popular body 57 classic (PAF's) Grover tuning machines $2000-$2400 depending on options.

you tell me the better deal.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Originally posted by Pacomc79

you tell me the better deal.

uh ...
    i vote for A
    ?
    uh ...
    i vote for A
    ?

we have a winnah!
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    To be honest, i don't wanna pay an extra £100 or so just for the name. It's the look of the guitar that i'm so amazed by! As long as it plays ok, i'm not really bothered if it's a Gibson or not.

• djyman15djyman15 Posts: 181
    Noel Gallagher knows his stuff well then. I have seen him mostly with the higher end epi stuff, like his signature DOT Union Jack and Supernova models
    "Even if your heart would listen, I doubt I could explain"-Jimmy Eat World
    Originally posted by djyman15
    Noel Gallagher knows his stuff well then. I have seen him mostly with the higher end epi stuff, like his signature DOT Union Jack and Supernova models

Some artists with signature models also try to keep their stuff affordable... The Jimmie Vaughn Strat, the Epi Tony Iommi SG, the Epi Joe Perry Les Paul, the Epi Zakk Wilde Les Paul, the Ibanez Mike Mushok MMM1, the PRS Santana LE, the PRS Tremonti (I assume discontinued)... their way of giving back to the fans, I guess. Then there are the other sig. models... The Gibson "Lucille" ES-335 (BB King), the Fender "Number 1" Strat (S.R. Vaughn), the Fender Custom-Shop Eric Clapton Strat, the Gibson Zakk Wilde Les Paul, the Gibson Joe Perry Les Paul, the Epi John Lee Hooker Sheraton, the Gibson Peter Frampton Les Paul (Black Beauty)... very pricey...

Epiphone is a damned good name to have in your bedroom closet.
  • Lukin_ozLukin_oz Posts: 257
    the toni iommi sg is one fine guitar... cross inlays and real nice US gibson pick ups.
    Those who dance are called insane by those who dont hear the music