The history of House of Blues 2003

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,086
edited August 2023 in The Porch
Was watching Tarantino talk about Psycho II and this popped on afterwards which was a bit fascinating. Was mighty surprised at the Pearl Jam mention @ 9 min

https://youtu.be/4AySoWKO-dI

Didn't know this show was played in an attempt to get more radio airplay (for the "Save You" single I reckon?).
Also didn't know about the inclusion in the Payola (illegally paying radio stations for airplay) scandal of the mid 00s.
I guess the label was really stressed out about the weak performance of Riot Act?

Was this known at the time? I had not heard of this at all.
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I ve always known riot act was weak. ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:
    You Are

Wrong

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • yosiyosi Posts: 2,985
    mcgruff10 said:
    You Are

Wrong

@mcgruff10 needs to Get Right. 
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,868
    Was watching Tarantino talk about Psycho II and this popped on afterwards which was a bit fascinating. Was mighty surprised at the Pearl Jam mention @ 9 min

https://youtu.be/4AySoWKO-dI

Didn't know this show was played in an attempt to get more radio airplay (for the "Save You" single I reckon?).
    Also didn't know about the inclusion in the Payola (illegally paying radio stations for airplay) scandal of the mid 00s.
    I guess the label was really stressed out about the weak performance of Riot Act?

Was this known at the time? I had not heard of this at all.
    Known and frowned upon as much as speeding 10-15 mph over the limit on a highway.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    That was a good listen spiritual.  I was one of the lucky ones to attend that HOB show, it was amazing seeing them in a small venue.  The performance was top notch.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,339
    There was another club show (at the Fonda) in L.A. promoted by KROQ in 2006. It ended up being a situation where, even if you weren't on the list, they eventually let virtually everybody in because a lot of the VIPs (and presumably some of the winners) didn't show.

One thing mentioned in the video is that they tricked the charts by spinning songs in the wee hours, but the Billboard airplay formula doesn't treat all spins equally. When a song is played, they cross-reference the ratings for the 15-minute period in which it is played and afford points accordingly. In other words, if a song is played at 2 p.m. and there are 15,000 people listening, it will generate more airplay points or chart purposes than if it is played at 2 a.m. and there are 500 people listening.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.