Options

Sixto Rodriguez RIP

GB281198GB281198 Virginia Posts: 404
edited August 2023 in Other Music
Just found out he passed away a few days ago. If you're not familiar with his amazing life story and music you should check him out.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rodriguez-death-south-africa-sugar-man-b2390854.html
Post edited by GB281198 on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,760
    Yeah, sad loss.  The Sixto documentary is excellent:
    Red Box Films  Searching for Sugar Man  Films

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    brianlux said:

I agree and recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it 
  • Options
    GB281198 said:
    brianlux said:

For sure.  The soundtrack is great as well (although the vinyl, last I looked, was REALLY pricey). 
    Any other recommendations on Sixto's work?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,148
    brianlux said:
    GB281198 said:
    brianlux said:

For sure.  The soundtrack is great as well (although the vinyl, last I looked, was REALLY pricey). 
    I may be in the minority, but I love all his catalog. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I got into him after watching the film. Don't have any vinyl but several CDs I'll have to dig them out and listen to them. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    GB281198 said:
    brianlux said:

I may be in the minority, but I love all his catalog. 

I can imagine that being so but I haven't heard it all.  So glad he got recognition- though late as it was- in his life time. 
    GB281198 said:
    I got into him after watching the film. Don't have any vinyl but several CDs I'll have to dig them out and listen to them. 

Yeah, definitely easier to find and more affordable on CD.  Hopefull his stuff will get some vinyl re-issues... and better yet if sourced from analog tape!

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,269
    Regret not seeing him play live when he played here a few years back. I was the only one I knew of that watched the documentary, so anyone I asked was pretty indifferent.

I can't imagine trying to have a much career, having it not work out, having a whole life working construction, only to find out in your later years that your super famous in one country.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Regret not seeing him play live when he played here a few years back. I was the only one I knew of that watched the documentary, so anyone I asked was pretty indifferent.

I can't imagine trying to have a much career, having it not work out, having a whole life working construction, only to find out in your later years that your super famous in one country.

I sometimes wonder how many other really great musicians go unnoticed.  Its bad enough that we have or have had some really terrific musicians and song writers who have a long history and are semi-known (I'm thinking of people like Steve Wynn, Juliana Hatfield, Sandy Bull, Chris Cacavas, Slim Dunlap, John Strohm, David Sylvian, Dolores O'Riordan, and probably a bunch of people you and others here know of), but then think about people like Sixto Rodriguez who, like you say, struggle in anonymity most or all their lives.  It's really sad to think about.