Suggestions - Taylor 312-CE

GhostBoyGhostBoy Posts: 113
edited March 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
There is a brand new one on e-Bay. It's got a 1 & 11/16" neck instead of the 1 & 3/4" neck. Taylor Expression. You know the deal. I can buy it for 1,350.
I've never played this model, but I am mostly into fingerpicking at this point...and I hear this is a good guitar for that style. I've never played a Taylor though. I was really looking to get a Martin 000-18, which I've played and loved.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And honestly, if you think it's crazy to buy a guitar without playing it, just let me know.
All Those Yesterdays: This Day In Pearl Jam History - Sharing show anniversaries, releases, appearances, and more.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hello,

I actually love my Martin 00CXAE but the other guitar I was looking at which, I believe I will eventually get when the money is right is that Taylor. The 312-CE is just a comfortable guitar to play and it has a great big sound for a small guitar. I think it sounds wonderful for strumming with a pick or fingerpicking. I haven't played one in months though to tell you about the sound specifically I just remember I thought it was a wonderful guitar.
    "i wanna rock and roll **all night**, and part of everyday"
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Taylor makes some pretty damn fine guitars.
    I have never played the one you are thinking about buying, but it sounds like a good deal.
  • That's a great guitar. My favorite acoustic is my 414 ce Taylor. The necks on Taylors seem to be made for electric guitar players! :D
    I would warn you, though, I'm not big on buying an acoustic that I never heard or played. I've bought beater acoustic guitars off ebay and fixed them up, but never a new one. I gotta feel them and talk to them before I take them home! I've been playing for years and years, so I may be too picky.
    I didn't go to to the store to buy a 414, I went to get a 700 series. When I was playing a whole line of Taylors, the one that sounded the best to me was a 414. The other 414's all sounded different, too. If you line a bunch of acoustics up there will be those that don't strike you, and those that stand out of the mix.
    You don't get that opportunity with Ebay.
    I guess it depends on your ear, too. I bet you could be perfectly happy with a Taylor off Ebay, but you probably should check them out live in a store before you take the plunge for 1300+ bucks!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • omg a mynx wrote:
    bob. . . . . . . . . . . .

OMG!!!!!

It's been like 35 years!!!!!

Not to hijack a thread,,, but it's damn great to see you! :cool:

Your voice sounds better than ANY Taylor guitar! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

It's been like 35 years!!!!!

Not to hijack a thread,,, but it's damn great to see you! :cool:

Your voice sounds better than ANY Taylor guitar! :D

you're sweet, bob. i miss you so much! i don't like this board a whole lot though.
    from the height of the pacific
    to the depths of everest
  • I have a Taylor... I was lucky enough to get it on clearance at Guitar Center... It's greatnesss! I highly recommend Taylors...
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis