I finally found the secret to my tone

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited February 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
The secret is in the guitar volume. Fuck me.

As you may know, ive always struggled with getting that tube overdriven sound at a reasonable volume. So i says to myself"hey self, try the guitar volume out"

So i turn the amp up, set the pedals up specifically how i like them....turn the guitar volume down...

I love the tone with the volume down on the guitar. perfect for rythym, rock, over driven blues, hard rock etc...beautiful. All along, i just had to pay attention to my guitar.

Also solves volume problems, kick it up for a solo or change in dynamics etc. The distortions come through full, crips, crunchy and not muddled in the mess.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    62strat wrote:
    The secret is in the guitar volume. Fuck me.

As you may know, ive always struggled with getting that tube overdriven sound at a reasonable volume. So i says to myself"hey self, try the guitar volume out"

So i turn the amp up, set the pedals up specifically how i like them....turn the guitar volume down...

I love the tone with the volume down on the guitar. perfect for rythym, rock, over driven blues, hard rock etc...beautiful. All along, i just had to pay attention to my guitar.

Also solves volume problems, kick it up for a solo or change in dynamics etc. The distortions come through full, crips, crunchy and not muddled in the mess.

excellent. Glad you found that out. I bet it works great with the Twin.

Now I'm a 62 Strat too. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Oh it sounds beautiful with the twin. Especially now that i can at least get the volume up there enough for it to sound like it should. Now i just need to get a band going again. Ah, fuck.

Nice, lets see a pic of that baby.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    95strat :D
    i'll be in your band. you'd have to move here though. lots of work up here.
  • 62strat wrote:
    Especially now that i can at least get the volume up there enough for it to sound like it should.

what does that mean?
    did you just move in to a new house or something?

i'm kinda jealous of anyone who has a place to crank an amp as well ...

:(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Heh, I do this a lot. I set the amp the way I like it for a lead setting and just turn down the guitar to get a rhythm tone.
    i live in an apartment, idef cant crank it. but even in a rehearsal or live setting...i cant crank it. Thast 120 watt twin for ya.

Nice exhausted..alright im moving up...but doesnt your music circuit lick balls?

ha.
    62strat wrote:
    Nice exhausted..alright im moving up...but doesnt your music circuit lick balls?

ha.

yup. badly. but you could be a revolutionary. :D
    this could be true
  • ive heard of another widely used technique for "saturating tube amps" without blowing your windows. The trick is to turn the volume/master knob, almost all the way up, then use the gain as the "volume" once you have the gain set so its at the volume you woudl like to play, then test it out, and try and find yoru medium. this is a technique i havent used much, but worth a try!

harrison

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    more bass?