Options

Wow - String Gauge Really Does Make A Difference

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited February 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
ya, well i had that show a month ago...and before tha ti hadnt changed strings for like 3 months, ....too lazy and broke..and hell neil young doesnt do it...

anyways, so i bought 10 boomers....

and wow do they sound different...i usually go with 11's but i just totally forgot and automatically just got 10's...sounds like crap to me, less full less sustain (to my ears)...crappy.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i still remember switching from stock 9s on my fenders to 11s. it was a good day. :)
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by 62strat
    ya, well i had that show a month ago...and before tha ti hadnt changed strings for like 3 months, ....too lazy and broke..and hell neil young doesnt do it...

anyways, so i bought 10 boomers....

and wow do they sound different...i usually go with 11's but i just totally forgot and automatically just got 10's...sounds like crap to me, less full less sustain (to my ears)...crappy.

Light bulb. :D

I need new graphite saddles on my Les Paul, then I'll change to 11's
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    62strat62strat Posts: 638
    it sounds so weak its ridiculous. im like, fuck..after all that tweeking with the pedals and amp...it sounded great, what the fuck happened?

oh ya! woopsy...

sounds like acrappy crate solid state :)well not that bad
  • Options
    so you would recommend these gauges as being the best ghs'?

11 - 14 - 18 - 28 - 38 - 50
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Posts: 141
    I am condemned to use 9's coz I am having that motherfucking tendonitis problem!!!My strat is tuned half note down right now.In a month from now I'll tune it normally and after a respectable period I'll put 10's(boomers) and we will see what happens next!!!
    "You stay classy San Diego" Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    half tone down is what I meant
  • Options
    oh, ok, thanks.
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    Originally posted by likepilateihaveadog
    so you would recommend these gauges as being the best ghs'?

11 - 14 - 18 - 28 - 38 - 50

I've got a set of these boomers sitting right in front of me now,,, getting ready to go on a Paul Reed Smith. 11-15-18-26-36-50
    It's all a matter of preference, but that is the right range. You usually stick with the packaged sets, as they are balanced to keep even pressure on the neck. If you stray too far from that, you can twist the neck.

And Mogwai,,, did you ever try 9 1/2 gauge strings? They sort of split the difference. towards 10's
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Options
    Originally posted by mogwai
    not to say the truth i didn't know they even existed!!!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040209181919069136254218087204/g=guitar/s=accessories/search/detail/base_pid/100100/

Those are ddarrios or however you spell that!

I know GHS has them too.

I know people that use them because of your situation, (tendonitis). They can't quite get comfortable with 10's.
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    too bad they won't send to europe.I am sure that i won't find them in any guitar shop here in thessaloniki...I ll try thomann instead

Can't the local place just order them in?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-102278.html

Ha!I found them.Bob you are a genious.I'll order them as soon as I decide which delay I am going to buy!Thanks
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw2_artikel-102278.html

Ha!I found them.Bob you are a genious.I'll order them as soon as I decide which delay I am going to buy!Thanks

I'm glad you found them!

I don't know tons about delay pedals. I have an Ibanez ad-9 that's old, and sounds great. It is exactly like the Maxon ad-9 picture, and an Akai Headrush. But I bet that Maxon900 is nice. ( sorry, other thread!)
    I'm just trying to save bandwidth space!
    Be kind, man
  • Options
    I went from ".9 Ernie Ball Super Slinky" to ".10 GHS Boomers" today on my American Series Strat --> WOW! It sounds so much better and also suits my playing style much more. I'm now refining my setup until action etc is perfect.
    I had to modify the bridge with the claw screws otherwise it would bend up much too high from the body. I'm leaving it for now to give my guitar a rest and will then continue with the truss rod and intonation. Any more suggestions regarding setup?

Bye,
    Steve