Rat Sound - For your sound needs!

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
http://www.ratsound.com

check it out everyone.

doing this for a friend. theyve got a lot usefull stuff, pro gear, pa equipment, a hell,merch...

if you havent already heard of this company. its the company pj uses for their tours etc...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Dave Rat is a demi-God in the live sound world... he's front-of-house (main) engineer for RHCP and does a lot of other stuff. He's designed or co-designed many different cabinets, and his proprietary gear is amazing.

If I ever reach that level of work, I would love to work with or for Dave...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i know they are pretty generous in offering interns...you should def look in to it, i can put you in concatct with karrie keyes if youd like...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I'd love to just rig all that stuff for fun and sit next to the FOH and bring him coffee or soemthing.

That's a pretty big fucking Array. (Trap 5) I'm adding up wattage in my head.

Reading the site this guy knows his shit. Minimize use of horn loading. Based just on that one statement. I know this guy knows how to make a system sound good. That's why there are so many speakers, because you aren't sacrificing sound quality for volume.

There is one brand of home speakers that lives on horn loaded technology (Klipsch) which consequently are great rock speakers but are very colored. This system should sound much less like a typical live arena setup and more like a very very very loud studio system.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    I dont know mucha bout all that stuff. But reading up on it, and seeing the awards theyve gotten, and the write ups, and intverviews with karrie keyes (who is pjs onstage sound engineer) they got their shit together! sounds like they are pretty innovative when it comes to thel ive setup...

its fun hearing stories about the band from her too! shes the nicest woman ive ever met....
    Originally posted by 62strat
    I dont know mucha bout all that stuff. But reading up on it, and seeing the awards theyve gotten, and the write ups, and intverviews with karrie keyes (who is pjs onstage sound engineer) they got their shit together! sounds like they are pretty innovative when it comes to thel ive setup...

its fun hearing stories about the band from her too! shes the nicest woman ive ever met....

Karrie also does monitors for the Chili Peppers, so... she does damn good work. Ever really pay attention to how many monitors Ed has around him? And how VERY few times there is feedback on that stage? She DEFINITELY knows her shit.

I was surprised to learn that Brett Eliason is no longer out at front of house... for anyone who missed it, or cares to read:

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_pearl_jam/index.htm

He's sitting out in the recording truck (which I've had the joy of seeing first-hand) managing the live recordings, and sends sub-mixes out to front-of-house. Very interesting arrangement, I must say.

I would love to do stuff like that, or studio work, or split my time between the two... live-sound engineers can run circles around a recording engineer, just based on the pressure of the situation and the sheer volume of experience, but recording engineers understand "finesse." I would love to meld the two worlds, at least in my own head...
    talk about your dream jobs.........holy crap. I'd love to just wrap cables and rig for those guys if they let me sit and watch them work.

I'd live off of bananas and sleep in the semi's with the EAW's. :)

I would imagine RAT sound is attempting to meld the too.

You have the very colored very loud live sound from the horns and just the sheer massive size and problems with acoustics from a live situation.

But then here are the Rat sound monitors, attempting to be as color free as a stage monitor can be. Me personally I love it. Damnit, I want to be a sound engineer and make enough money to live comfortably.

Imagine Hendrix or Zepplin with a good engineer and modern technology.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Originally posted by Pacomc79
    I'd live off of bananas and sleep in the semi's with the EAW's. :)

I love those EAW's, too, man... they were using one of the only EAW line array systems on the last tour, very VERY tasty. I love those Rat boxes, too, but they would've needed another truck to carry enough boxes to do all the venues. Generally, I'm not a big fan of array systems, but when you need that much throw, that much coverage, it's about the only way to go, and the EAW system is as good as it gets. Me personally, I'd prefer to work in smaller arenas and bigger theaters, and use an EAW 850 system. Those things are so damn good!

And I agree, Rat's monitors are always so damn good, too... you'd be amazed what a difference that makes to a live performance.

It would be so nice to get on as an intern working for Rat, just be someone's bitch for a tour, and then maybe one day the house engineer gets drunk or catches the flu, and they ask you to mix... next thing you know, you're a house engineer, too... damn! Oh well... at least another year in school, then I can go out and work for peanuts and a chance to prove myself.
    you know, if you had enough of a meal stipent to eat and have a hotel room over your head maybe a little beer after a hard day. Fuck making money, life dosen't get any better than that.

I just think it's funny how JBL M's are considered a decent live speaker and they sell so many, but put them next to an EAW and even the lay person will tell you they sound better.

I'd hate to have to rig all those arrays but it's rather nice to see someone out there trying to get studio sound out of a live setup not sacrificing tone for coverage. If I was doing a 3 day stationary festival Rat sound would be what I wanted.

Live tour EAW all the way, those arrays are great but so is EAW and less trucks mean reduced ticket prices.
    ive heard many great stories from her. about her having to bitch at eddie because he would complain he cant hear himself on stage...

well thats because he was running al over the place... and eddie wont use in ear monitors...

during hte 95 tour, they hid monitors up in that chandelier (howeve ryou spell it) ...but they no longer do that...

interesting stuff.