St Paul/ Chicago song request 🖤🖤🖤

BridgetMc10BridgetMc10 Posts: 4
edited July 2023 in The Porch

Sigh. So many of us have songs that touch us so deeply into our soul. And like so many of us we have multiple songs that have the magic to instantly transport to a memory of time that we perhaps wish we could hit a pause button.

Early September 2020 my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My mom has always been the rock in my family and the thought that she would be taken away from us in only 7 months after her diagnosis… would have been unfathomable to even comprehend prior. The hole in my heart after we lost her is something that cannot fully be explained…and can only be understood by someone that has experienced unspeakable loss.

I did everything I was able to do as I took on a caregiver role, to help the rest of my family…but foremost to give back to my mom. Because that's what she would have done…and had done for others so selflessly.

One evening as I sat next to her in her final days a thought popped into my head that I'm so grateful came to me. Through all the years…my mom had repeatedly heard about our favorite band when my husband & I would have shows coming up. Many times she would babysit for us so we could go. Well as I sat next to her on her deathbed…I introduced her to my favorite band. I played Come Back & it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it thinking back to that moment…it is a little pause button that as horrific the reality was in front of me…I still had my mom in that moment. 🖤

I thank PJ for all they have done for us through the years…that supported many of us through the worst of times. I've never done anything like posting something so personal, but I just wanted to throw this out here in the universe & see if something might come back. There are other songs on my list for the St Paul & Chicago shows but Come Back would be a gift of that moment in time that makes my heart cry and smile at the same time.

Sending much love to all.

Post edited by BridgetMc10 on

Comments

• deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,467
    I am so sorry about your Mom. The band heard my request last year and I hope they hear yours. Sending love ❤️ 
  • deb1211 said:
    I am so sorry about your Mom. The band heard my request last year and I hope they hear yours. Sending love ❤️ 
    Thank you Debbie. There's many requests with many touching stories 💔 so that was absolutely incredible you got your Sad ❤️ I know chances are slim but just had to throw this out. If nothing...it's all good. It'll save me from turning into an instant puddle on the floor 😭 lol
  • deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,467
    deb1211 said:
    Thank you Debbie. There's many requests with many touching stories 💔 so that was absolutely incredible you got your Sad ❤️ I know chances are slim but just had to throw this out. If nothing...it's all good. It'll save me from turning into an instant puddle on the floor 😭 lol
    Yeah I certainly didn't expect it to happen, but wow it was something when it did. Surreal for sure. You never know. 
  • nicolenicole Posts: 64
    edited July 2023

Sigh. So many of us have songs that touch us so deeply into our soul. And like so many of us we have multiple songs that have the magic to instantly transport to a memory of time that we perhaps wish we could hit a pause button.

Early September 2020 my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. My mom has always been the rock in my family and the thought that she would be taken away from us in only 7 months prior to her diagnosis… would have been unfathomable to even think about. The hole in my heart after we lost her is something that cannot fully be explained…and can only be understood by someone that has experienced unspeakable loss.

I did everything I was able to do as I took on a caregiver role, to help the rest of my family…but foremost to give back to my mom. Because that's what she would have done…and had done for others so selflessly.

One evening as I sat next to her in her final days a thought popped into my head that I'm so grateful came to me. Through all the years…my mom had repeatedly heard about our favorite band when my husband & I would have shows coming up. Many times she would babysit for us so we could go. Well as I sat next to her on her deathbed…I introduced her to my favorite band. I played Come Back & it brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it thinking back to that moment…it is a little pause button that as horrific the reality was in front of me…I still had my mom in that moment. 🖤

I thank PJ for all they have done for us through the years…that supported many of us through the worst of times. I've never done anything like posting something so personal, but I just wanted to throw this out here in the universe & see if something might come back. There are other songs on my list for the St Paul & Chicago shows but Come Back would be a gift of that moment in time that makes my heart cry and smile at the same time.

Sending much love to all.

I couldn’t help but respond to your post. I also recently lost a very special parent. We lost my Dad on Mother’s Day in 2022. It was sudden and heartbreaking and life changing. My Dad had a heart of gold, and he heard my stories over the years about this amazing and beloved band and though his favorites were more along the lines of Fleetwood Mac, the Stones and Fogerty, we shared a great love for great music. 

Over a few decades, my Dad helped me to see my band. We travelled to Berlin in 2000, and many years after that, he happily signed up for babysitting duties for my husband and I to go and see Pearl Jam when we had the chance. 

In 2018, he drove across the country to babysit my kids in Chicago on he and my moms anniversary, so I could go see them, yet again. In 2020, he was so happy for me to go on a moms trip to see them, so sad for me when it was cancelled, and thrilled for me in 2022 when we got another chance. He loved Quebec City and Ottawa and knew I would as well.

He never got to hear how much I did, and how amazing those shows were, or excitedly drive me to the airport, or hear about our travels, and I would give anything to have just one more day with him. Going to those shows after we lost him helped me to smile and enjoy music and live again, and there were so many moments I felt him with me. 

I hope you get your song. I’ll also be in St. Paul at both shows, and I’ll also be a puddle right along with you if we hear Come Back. I am sure your mom and my dad are so happy for us that we are so fortunate to get see our band again. Cheers and much love. 

Post edited by nicole on
  • Thank you Nicole for responding & sharing a piece of your dad. Just from your sentiments I can feel how truly special your dad was. I'm so deeply sorry for your loss. It's an unimaginable loss & grief that I can understand. It at times doesn't seem real…especially when you have those split moments when your natural reaction to things in your life happening is to want to tell them. Other days are painfully real. Grief is a fickle thing.

I understand the feeling of your dad with you at the shows afterwards. There's something so beautiful about the solace healing of our band after the depth of loss we've experienced. ❤️

I'm seriously so excited & counting down the days till August 31st. I know you are too!!! ☺️ Sending much love!

• nicolenicole Posts: 64

Thank you for your kind words. I also am not one to post something so personal (in fact I am shocked that I did!), but your post touched me, and your grief in losing your mom was something I unfortunately related to. I am so sorry you lost your mom. I am so sorry that you also share in a great loss of someone who you cared for so deeply.  Your mom sounds like a great mom, and it’s always the good ones that seem to be taken from us too soon. I share in that heartbreak when your instinct takes over, to share a moment with that person, and you realize you forgot for only a second that you cannot. It takes your breath away. Navigating grief and loss is somehow something most of us will go through, but there is little that can prepare us for such a profound loss. 

But, somehow, we have to keep living, and enjoying life, because we know they would want that for us. 

I look so forward to hearing the most amazing songs live, to sing and smile and dance and enjoy life, because it is always a phenomenal show, with a stellar crowd, within such a special community of fans. I cannot wait to hear “good evening.” I hope you have amazing nights at all your shows and it brings a smile to your face and some light your way. Only 55 more sleeps 😊

• BridgetMc10BridgetMc10 Posts: 4
    edited July 2023
    Thank you Nicole. Yea my mom was one in a million ❤️  Sometimes I worry that people around me get tired of hearing me talking about her so much lol...but I truly feel that talking about her often keeps her with me right now & keeps her alive. Thanks for listening 😊 Everyone grieves so differently...so I always appreciate those that "get me"
    YES!!! Holy cow I cannot wait for our shows!!! I hope we both have the most amazing time! We'll have to touch base 💓
    Post edited by BridgetMc10 on
  • RoblayRoblay Posts: 14
    As the tour announcement was coming around the bend, I was so excited to see where this next journey would take me with this band.  When St. Paul was the opening of the tour the stars aligned for another year of traveling somewhere new to see Pearl Jam with my great friend and concert buddy as we have since our 20’s in college till now in our early 50’s. My wife gets equally excited because she knows how much this band means to me and how these songs are the story of my life, and John and I will be celebrating our 52 birthday at theses shows. As I booked my room and plane tickets to fly to Minnesota from New Orleans the excitement was overwhelming as this will be my 23rd and 24th shows. Two weeks after the announcement she gets word that she has breast cancer. My world has been turned upside down and the last thing on my mind are these 2 shows. As the weeks are passing she keeps telling me that she needs me to go to theses shows. Surgery was performed and treatments are ongoing and progress is being made.  By the time August 31st is here she should be doing extremely better.  I have floor tickets to the opening night show and I will be lined up early to get to the rail hoping for the song “Release” to be played at the opening of the 2023 shows. By the way, it is also my autistic son’s favorite song too. My name is Rob and I would love to hear “Release”  please