Options

I Was Nearly Carjacked Last Night

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,859
a friend was driving me home last night after a night out for a few drinks. As we sat in front of my house, chatting for a few minutes, out of nowhere a masked man ran up to her car on my side, and tried to open the door. She saw him coming and thankfully locked the doors a split second before he tried the handle. He ran off after. 

it's funny. nothing "happened", but I still found myself feeling somewhat traumatized. you think of what could have happened had she not acted so quickly. you think of the fact this happened right in front of my home. 

kind of shaken up. 
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    @HughFreakingDillon Consider yourself lucky and that they didn't have a gun.

This is a common occurrence in Chicago.  My cousins lived there and captured them on their ring in front of their house.

Glad you are safe.
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    So glad that you are both safe and grateful that your friend was so quick. 

Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,411
    Wow!  That’s an awful experience.  Happy it worked out but geez that would stick with me for quite awhile.  Be careful!  
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    a friend was driving me home last night after a night out for a few drinks. As we sat in front of my house, chatting for a few minutes, out of nowhere a masked man ran up to her car on my side, and tried to open the door. She saw him coming and thankfully locked the doors a split second before he tried the handle. He ran off after. 

it's funny. nothing "happened", but I still found myself feeling somewhat traumatized. you think of what could have happened had she not acted so quickly. you think of the fact this happened right in front of my home. 

kind of shaken up. 

You have every reason to feel at least somewhat traumatized!  I would have been.  I'm glad nothing serious happened.  I'm very sorry to hear you had this experience!

I had someone try to break into my van once back in 1996 when I was sleeping in it.  I heard someone trying to open all the doors.  It was a cargo can and had curtains so I couldn't see the person.  I banged on the walls and yelled, "Get out of here, I've got a gun!"  I didn't have a gun, but it worked.  Who ever it was said, "Oh, sorry," and ran off.

So yeah, that kind of thing is hugely unnerving. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    she called 911 when she got home. the police were very proactive and very concerned for our well being. they sent a patrol car, both the 911 operator called her back later to check on her, and the patrol cops called her later as well. 

this stuff doesn't really happen here that I know of. I know, from a cop friend, that the public only hears about maybe 5% of what the cops see, but still. you think you'd hear about this on the news if it was commonplace. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    We had my sons car for a weekend while watching the grandkids (car seats) I went into the store and went to a wrong car when I came out.  I yanked that handle repeatedly and yelled “come on, open up “ thinking my husband was just jagging me off.  Then I finally looked into the drivers side.  I scared that poor women half to death and I literally started to cry while apologizing.  Could have been my last day on earth but I was lucky.  

Again, happy you’re ok.  
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    Crazy....probably figured he could get your wallet pretty quick
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    We had my sons car for a weekend while watching the grandkids (car seats) I went into the store and went to a wrong car when I came out.  I yanked that handle repeatedly and yelled “come on, open up “ thinking my husband was just jagging me off.  Then I finally looked into the drivers side.  I scared that poor women half to death and I literally started to cry while apologizing.  Could have been my last day on earth but I was lucky.  

Again, happy you’re ok.  

My car looks exactly like so many others and  I did the same thing once but luckily there was no one in the car.  Even so, I said out loud, "Oh my God!  Wrong car!" in case anyone happened to see me do that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    Damn glad both of you are ok but I’m sure being victimized is not a pleasant experience! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Damn glad both of you are ok but I’m sure being victimized is not a pleasant experience! 
    it's not, and I feel kinda silly, since nothing bad happened. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be assaulted or something like that. I'm angry. I felt like "less of a man". later on last night after it happened, I went outside to see if I could see the perp. obviously he was long gone. I think this was some stupid "man instinct" to "puff out my chest" to take away the feeling victimized. But nothing happened! why do I feel this way?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's not, and I feel kinda silly, since nothing bad happened. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be assaulted or something like that. I'm angry. I felt like "less of a man". later on last night after it happened, I went outside to see if I could see the perp. obviously he was long gone. I think this was some stupid "man instinct" to "puff out my chest" to take away the feeling victimized. But nothing happened! why do I feel this way?

Don't feel bad, bud.  All of your feelings are understandable- both the sense of being victimized and wanting to reestablish your  sense of personal power.  I've been assaulted twice, and both times, all of those same feelings you experienced were exactly how I felt, especially the feeling of being victimized and made to feel lesser, followed by the instinctual urge to express anger and desire for retribution.  I think these are natural survival instincts at play.

Man, I am really sorry this happened.  I get really upset when people I know are victimized. Thugs are worthless POS in my opinion.

• Options
    I’m pretty sure it’s your brain in a type of shock.  You’ll work it out but right now what you’re feeling is perfectly normal.  If it doesn’t get better (give yourself time) then talk to someone professional.  How about your fried who was with you….have you spoken to her?  She’d be another good one to speak to.  Above all else remember you’re normal. The asshole who did this to you is the problem, not you.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Don't feel bad, bud.  All of your feelings are understandable- both the sense of being victimized and wanting to reestablish your  sense of personal power.  I've been assaulted twice, and both times, all of those same feelings you experienced were exactly how I felt, especially the feeling of being victimized and made to feel lesser, followed by the instinctual urge to express anger and desire for retribution.  I think these are natural survival instincts at play.

Man, I am really sorry this happened.  I get really upset when people I know are victimized. Thugs are worthless POS in my opinion.
    brutal dude. I'm sorry that happened to you. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I’m pretty sure it’s your brain in a type of shock.  You’ll work it out but right now what you’re feeling is perfectly normal.  If it doesn’t get better (give yourself time) then talk to someone professional.  How about your fried who was with you….have you spoken to her?  She’d be another good one to speak to.  Above all else remember you’re normal. The asshole who did this to you is the problem, not you.  
    yeah, she and her husband are very close with my wife and I. we spoke last night, and then a bit this morning. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,334
    Wow that is crazy Hugh. Glad you're alright. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianlux said:

brutal dude. I'm sorry that happened to you. 

Thanks man, I'm still kickin'!
    Glad you're OK.  Who ever did that to you has some BAD karma!

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137

kind of shaken up. 
    Damn man. That would be unnerving. Glad it was nothing due to car locks.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    damn hugh, glad you are ok.

i can't imagine things like this happening up north. i thought it was mainly a st louis thing.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    I don’t even know calling it an attempted carjacking is accurate. No way to know what his intentions were. I guess I just assumed since he was trying to get in the back seat. But maybe “just” a robbery. But either way, still freaky. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,023
    I need to get power locks.

I saw a car jacking 50 feet in front of me a few years ago. Driving through a parking lot, saw a guy about to get into his car when someone else came up and hit him in the head, hopped in his car and took off. Almost hit me as he flew through the parking lot driving like a maniac. I was the closest person, he came running up to me bleeding from his head and begged me to let him in and chase the car.
    Obviously I said no, and called 911. He spent the next several minutes asking other people to chase the car before police arrived.
  • Options
    Glad you are safe. Your experience is traumatizing, and it will take time to quiet the what-ifs. I hope you find comfort in knowing people care.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    I don’t even know calling it an attempted carjacking is accurate. No way to know what his intentions were. I guess I just assumed since he was trying to get in the back seat. But maybe “just” a robbery. But either way, still freaky. 
    yeah the intention might have been to threaten and have you both leave the vehicle or it could have been worse...crazy shit

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    Glad you are safe, Hugh.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    thanks all
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com