Shannon Distortion

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
Wow. ummm, not really sure what else to say but...
Wow.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Ok sorry. i know this isn't the place for pointless posts so here I go.

Fired it up last night.

my chain is.

fender 62 strat reissue
    gibson sg standard
    boss tu 2
    gcb 559qwah
    mxr phase 90
    boss tremolo
    ibanez ad9
    shannon OVERDRIVE
    shannon DISTORTION

fender twin reverb II

This thing is a beast. the clarity is something unimagineable. amazing. its thick, its heavy, its crystal damn clear. Every note rings beautifully its not metal heavy its hard rock heavy. Im not too good on technical terms as you can tell. It really allows my guitar to come thhrough, doesnt change the tone at all, seems and feels so natural playing through that pedal. I was very very impressed, yet not surprised after playing with the overdrive for some time. The distortion was the final peace to the puzzle. The overdrive was/is great..but at times wasn't enough, being able to switch dynamics was a little more difficult if i wanted to go from slight overdrive to heavy...these two pedals go together so well.

Originally i had placed the distortion prior to the overdrive. they didnt sound as good together in this order. If i had the distortion on and wanted a boost...it would change the tone a bit and drop the...hmm...amount of gain...in my opinion. So i reversed it. Now, if im playing with the distortion, and i punch in for a solo i kick int he overdrive, adding a nice boost before the overdrive, keeping the original tone/level/gain amount...and adding just a little with the overdrive. beautiful.

Now im confident playing with just one distortion pedal. for quite some time id always combine for just rythym...

and with its clarity, it really forces you to play much better. no hiding behind walls of muddy distortion. This thing is perfect. cuts through the mix andother instruments so well. very excited.

and preston, this isn't to say the ibanez sonic distortion isn't great as well!!
  • 62strat wrote:
    and preston, this isn't to say the ibanez sonic distortion isn't great as well!!
    oh i know. It is no surprise to me that the Shannon is better though, not surprising one bit. The mail should be here within an hour i reckon, i can't hardly wait.

glad to hear you like the distortion...and i'm sure i'll like the sd-9 as well. Good deal all around :)
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    62strat wrote:
    my chain is.

fender 62 strat reissue
    gibson sg standard
    boss tu 2
    gcb 559qwah
    mxr phase 90
    boss tremolo
    ibanez ad9
    shannon OVERDRIVE
    shannon DISTORTION

fender twin reverb II

Why is your delay before your overdrive/distortion? Most people would put that after.

I'm not a distortion or fuzz guy, but I do like his Overdrive a lot, so I'm not surprized that you enjoy his Distortion. WTG again, Eric...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Why is your delay before your overdrive/distortion? Most people would put that after.

chunkier echos. it's quite nice actually.
    exhausted wrote:

exactly. it seems a bit dead/flat if i put it after the distortion...at least to my ears.

speaking of which, err not really...

i need velcro for new pedals, better connectrs...right angle ones..any place online with some sort of cheap package where i could get all these nice things? i really need to clean my pedal board up..dirty, dust..you name it..pedals sliding all over the place!
    exhausted wrote:

I suppose...

My buddy just put his new Big Muff at the end of his chain, wanting to use it for some really weird delay-loop sonic manipulation. It's not something I'd do, but in his situation, it works.

I suppose the other thing with that is that he's got the analog delay... no desire to have the cleanliness of digital undistorted...
    62strat wrote:
    i need velcro for new pedals

I've always used the adhesive velcro they sell at Wal-Mart in the arts-and-crafts section. Works great.
    I suppose...

My buddy just put his new Big Muff at the end of his chain, wanting to use it for some really weird delay-loop sonic manipulation. It's not something I'd do, but in his situation, it works.

I suppose the other thing with that is that he's got the analog delay... no desire to have the cleanliness of digital undistorted...

well now that you mention it...after playing scotts of even flows dd3...i am looking to get one myself and have a change o pace. ir eally enjoyed how clean the delay was and how easily it cut through/easy to control...

ill keep that in mind once i purchase it...
    mike used to have the delay out in front too.
    exhausted wrote:
    mike used to have the delay out in front too.

Very true...

I just prefer to delay my overdrive, and not overdrive my delay.

Is Mike's DL-4 out front, or at the end? I know the DM-3 was towards the front...
    Very true...

I just prefer to delay my overdrive, and not overdrive my delay.

Is Mike's DL-4 out front, or at the end? I know the DM-3 was towards the front...

last pictures i saw had the gains up front, then the DM-2 and DL4, followed by the MM4. however, who knows which way the cables were actually going.