Stupid But Important Question - My Amp Again

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok. got it back today. blah lah blah.

rehearsed with it. no reverb. haha, fuckin shit. no idea why. but no reverb was happening. it was plugged in, cables were in tight etc...

so i brought i thome..was gonna oepn it up and see if it was connected to the tank (its under a padded cover etc) and figure out what ws wrong with it, or just bring it by the shop and tell the fuckers to fix it for free now...

well i didnt bring any cables home, so i cant plug he guitar in to make for certain...

but.

i tap on the amp. and the reverb tank crashes. i crank the reverb up..and i can hear the "hall" effect coming through... i pick it up and "drop it" on the ground..the reverb crashes...

so now is it working?

and. the two connector cables that hooks the reverb tank up to the amp...one is for reverb input, other is for reverb outpout...

is it extremely important (as wether or not the reverb will function) which chord goes into which?

ones red, ones gray. i switched them around. and it seemed the reverb was mor intense. switched them back, and it wasnt...either or...but reverb "crashed" when i struck the amp...

does any of this make sense?

i wish ihad a guitar home with me. just curious because i wont have one untill before i load up for the show tomorrow night, or i will just have to bring it to the shop...

wow im a wreck.

so you think its working now? if it crashes and i can ear the hall efect...the reverb..it should be working now correct? or not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Alright, class, this is Reverb 101. If you're supposed to be in Roto-Toms 473, that class has been moved to the Danny Carrey wing of Neil Peart Hall.

The reverb tank in your amp has little spring coils that transmit signal in an odd way, creating reverberation. When you tap on the reverb tank, or jar the amp in any way, it moves the springs around, making that weird flippin-out sound.

Is this your amp?

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/twin_reverb_II.html

I couldn't figure out if the reverb is tube-driven or has a tube buffer. I'd guess the 'verb on that amp is probably solid-state, but I'm not sure.

From what I understand, the connections between the amp and the reverb tank shouldn't matter. The signal just passes through, doesn't matter if it's forward or backward. But it wouldn't surprise me if it gets stronger or weaker if you swap it around... if nothing else, maybe it would provide a better connection. Wait and try it out when you get a cable, see if that fixed it.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    that is my amp

im just perplexed..because, why the hell would the reverb tank stop working....

i have no idea. it wasnt working in rehearsal tonight. i didnt get any crash out of it...untill i just worked with it...

i suppose i can do nothing untill i plug into it? damn
    Well, any news?
    the news is...

the cables connecting the tank tot he back of the amp...etc...were mixed up, so i swithed them...and all was fine. dingasses.

gig went ok. techincal problems from the drummer as his kick drum would move about 3 feet forward by the end of every song....

pretty obnoxious....
    Originally posted by 62strat
    the news is...

the cables connecting the tank tot he back of the amp...etc...were mixed up, so i swithed them...and all was fine. dingasses.

gig went ok. techincal problems from the drummer as his kick drum would move about 3 feet forward by the end of every song....

pretty obnoxious....

Well, at least the amp made it...

Did the drummer not have a drum rug? Or does his kick drum usually walk?

Glad your amp problems are getting figured out (slowly but surely).
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    Well, at least the amp made it...

Did the drummer not have a drum rug? Or does his kick drum usually walk?

Glad your amp problems are getting figured out (slowly but surely).

ye ahes got a "gig rug" but forgot it...and usually never use it at gigs....usually never has that problem...

oh well. it wont happen again thats for sure!