My Gibson Sg Special

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited March 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
So i got my new guitar. I absoluetly love it. Wine Red SG Special

Ill start with the bad part, the neck pickup doesnt work! it works, its just a huge drop in volume and tone, so either i call gibson? or just bring it to a shop to get it worked on? so that was dissapointing, but the risk i took ordering it online. other than that everting works like a gem.

I love this guitar. It looks great. the finish, everything looks special, if you dont mind me saying. its a beautiful guitar, not ading ion it,the headstock looks great. and it looks and feels alot sturdier than i thought it would. Playing an SG is a bit awwkard at first, the way it sits on your body. The neck is further out there, and the body is further to your left, if that makes any sense, youve played them, youknow that. It was a bit of an adjustment from the epi les paul and def strat. But for some reason, it makes me play with better techinque! the guitar is so light, and the neck is a perfect chunk of size. Its thick and smooth. My hand glides along it very nicely. People have complained that the frets are too big and tear their fingers, are they big? ya...its a gibson though, not a strat. so to me it does feel bigger. but it took me all of 5 minutes to get used to the feeling and my hands ripped around that fret beuatiful. chord structuers were easy to maneuver through. Intonation is great up and down the neck. Action is perfect for me. fast, easy.

Uh what else, oh the sound. yes, The clean tone. is not exactly what i want, yet...because the beck pickup doesnt work, i cant tell. im thinking thats where i will enjoy the best tone for clean. and i still need to work with it as it is my first day with it. it is veyr bright and rough, if that makes sense. Makes the amp break up and distort even more, hell its a gibson sg so. but ya, i need to work with clean some more, and im thinking the neck pickup is where it is at. otherwise there is a very harsh clean tone through my fender twinr everb.

sg dirty. wow. this is how a guitar should sound , to me. for what i like, want, this is it. the distortion just absoluetly cuts through. So chunky, clean, eveyr note can be heard. its genuine dirt. i love it. Playing my epi les paul and even my strat, something was never right. great distorted tone, but it was always too dirty, too muddy, or it was always lost and could not decipher it very well. does that make sense? anyways, with this...the tone is pure, crunchy distortion. great for rythym, and leads. i cant really say the words to explain how it sounds of course, but its beautiful. great for leads too. actualyl amazing for leads.

of course im still working with this thing, and its gonna take some time. but i am very happy with this purchase, andim sooo glad i paid the extr amoney for the wine red. its a beutiful guitar. and playign this thing unplugged, sounds so gorgeous. full and thick. beautiful guitar. yes.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i'm glad the feel is good. that really sucks about the pickup though. i'd call gibson and report it but i'm guessing their warranty procedures are a nightmare. unless there is a shop there that is authorized to do their repair work.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    oh and the sustain is absoleutly incredible.

ya ill give someone a call and figure out what can be done. i usually never use the bridge pickup anyway. but thats shitty that they would let something off their floor that wasnt working. im guessing its gonna be more of a headahce than i want to deal with...we will see.
  • pariahpariah Posts: 596
    Cool! If I ever buy a new axe, it'll be a SG too... P90-equipped though.
    Sorry to hear about the pup... good luck with that.
    "Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world."
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Windmill a few open E chords. :)
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    ha, you bet yoru sweet ass i already did:)

im thinking about getting a new amp now too. ha, my reverb is just tooooo damn loud. but it sounds soooooooooooooooo amazing.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Originally posted by 62strat
    ha, you bet yoru sweet ass i already did:)

im thinking about getting a new amp now too. ha, my reverb is just tooooo damn loud. but it sounds soooooooooooooooo amazing.

I suggest you look hard at the Rivera Chubster 40. And the DR. Z Karman Ghia or KT-45 or Maz 18

http://www.rivera.com

http://www.drzamps.com

http://www.orange-amps.com
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • NIce, Glad you like it so much. It is lame about the pickup. Did you get it from musicians friend?

I am very confused about your fret comment. Do you meant he space in between frets or the frets themselves? If the frets themselves are huge is it amazing for doing bends?

So best distortion ever eh? Sounds really awesome. So I take it by your comments the neck is as amazing as everyone raves about.

What is the weight like?

Also when you said it sits out to the left more...I assume you mean sitting down. There is one place for a leg on an sg in the body shape. DO you put it over your right or left leg?

I have to say this concerns me the most about your review.

Yah the neck pup makes me think of eds dead man tone. Like from MSG 1 maybe. Hope you get to try it out soon. Hopefully it's just a wire not conencted eh rather than a dead pup.

well keep havin the time of ur life with that thing man!!!
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • Any pedals with it yet?

Would be interesting to know how that works out.

Also have U tried any awesome gainy PJ songs yet? I would be interested to see how say... hail hail sounds on such an awesome rythm guitar.

Lukin to!!

OH MAN!!!....

The RVM riff would sound amazing on that thing with the neck pup with a tiny bit o gain.

....never been so excited for someone elses new guitar before heh heh
    hey hey hey.

the actually fret are a little bit juciy (big) egeryone else thinks, yes..bigger than a strat. feels great. i love the neck.

and ia ctually mean standing up to as far as the neck being out to the left more, and having to reach (very slightly) to to strum at the middle of the body, really cool and makes me play more precise...if that makes sense. hrd to explain. but its not a problem at all, its realyl comfortable and i enjoy it, and love it very much. feels perfect in my hands and the way it lies...

the guitar is extremely light, its hard to believe such a powerful guitar cna be so light. really odd thing to get used to. very fucking cool. extremely light, ligher than my strat thats for sure. but produces much thicker tone.

my setup is this...

guitar
    oss chormatic tuner
    gcb 595 q wah
    cs 2 sustainer
    mxr phase 90
    boss dm2 delay
    ibanez sonic distortion
    ts808
    ts10dx fender twin reverb II

so ive run it straigh tthroug the amp, and every single possibility throgh the chain. and it all sounds fantastic. half dirty, thick distortion, crunchy, crips. excellent.

i really do wish i had the neck pickup for the celan tone though, the bridge pickup etc...is very harsh as of now. other than that, its almost too perfect..

and yes, i actually did play hail hail , and it sounds perfect, perfect clean crunch heavy distortion. excellent. and do the evolution, and every other pj song..alive sounds great. etc...

awesome
  • I see. Honestly the bigger frets seem better to me. Like the only thing that would affect is slides, am I right? Otherwise it seems that would make notes easier to hit. The note is still right if your right on top of the fret yes? So bigger frets easier note switching.

And theres no debate that it's better for bends. Do you play alive with the bends in it? I know some people slide instead of bend.

If so how was it.

Have you made up ur mind on course of action for the neck pickup yet? I really want you to stick it to the man here.
    That is a big fear of mine, spending a ton on a guitar and having it messed up. Warrantes are great but shipping isn't covered and 40-50$ shipping both says is friggin killer.

I have had this situation with computer parts before (I'm a computer tech) and it drives me insane.
    ya im not sure who to call. gisbon or musicians friend first?? not sure...

yes, the bends ar emaazing, and the stuain is gorgoeus. and i play alive the way its stuppose to be played:) leads are amazing, just got done with get right, and icant believe how good the guitar sounds...still need that bridge pickup for clean tone though...

oh, and playing slide want a problem at all..sounds really good, not messy..again pure, clean, chunky...cuts through like butter...huh?

frets dont get int he way at all
    ya i take that back...clean tone, beautiful...did some tweeking with my amp and setup, sounding perfect now...

now i reallllyl wish i had that bridge pickup.

still happy, few days in to it...cant wait to get with the band though!
  • Aren't SG's great! I know what you mean about balance for them. And they sound pretty decent unplugged.
    If you ever watch Woodstock, (1969) half the guitarists were using SG's!

You say you have a neck, or bridge pickup not working? Possibly it's too far from the strings. new guitars come set up wrong most of the time and need tweaking. Humbucking pickups should be really close to the strings. When the string is depressed at the highest fret the bridge pup should be 3/32 inch from the string,, the neck about 1/16th inch to start. Then you can fine tune it from there. Keep the volume wide open and keep switching back and forth till it's where you like it. Raising and lowering the pickup makes a dramatic difference.

Hopefully that's all it is. Good luck.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

you know, thats probably it now that i think about it. the bridge pickup is extremely low...

thank god for this board and intelligent people...cant wait to get home and fix it up...
  • Originally posted by 62strat
    wow, im a fucking moron...

you know, thats probably it now that i think about it. the bridge pickup is extremely low...

thank god for this board and intelligent people...cant wait to get home and fix it up...

No way you're a moron. You just know different stuff than I do.

I'm not right yet!
    Although I bet you that's all it is.
    Be kind, man
    and i must share with others....
    Rarghstarfarian.
    ok itworks.

odd though, so i tired raising, and adjusting the pups, at first it didnt work..and nothing was happening, so i gave up...then started playing....then switched tot he neck pick up..and boom bam, it was working....

and now it works just fine...

and yup, i love this geeetar.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Originally posted by 62strat
    ok itworks.

odd though, so i tired raising, and adjusting the pups, at first it didnt work..and nothing was happening, so i gave up...then started playing....then switched tot he neck pick up..and boom bam, it was working....

and now it works just fine...

and yup, i love this geeetar.

when/if you take it in to get set-up for 11s, get the tech to give the wiring a good inspection. you don't want it failing in the middle of a show.
  • Yup, sounds like a loose solder joint or something. Definitely get it checked, because it will only cut out during your finest solo ever! I'm glad moving the pickup helped.

11's are the perfect SG string to me. They will give it some power.
    Be kind, man
    ok it doesnt work anymore now:0

gonna bring it in this week and get that fixe dup and set up foor my 11's
  • What happened? It just cut out while you were playing?
    ya, it just stopped again...

not sure why, tried adjusting the pickups again, but the volume is just wayyyyy down, as well as tone...so ill bring it in...its just ont he neck pickup...