my fucking amp!!!

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited June 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
Damnit.

at rehearsal tonight. it just stopped. all pwer cut. gone. no light, no tubes, no nothing. have no idea why. ive put so much fucking money into this amp, its so frusturating. 1980 finder twin reverb II. fucking amazing amp. i love it. has so much warmth, and bite to it...its so loud!!!....anyways. i have no idea. anybody have a clue? just in the middle. nothing. eveyrthing cut. out. no crackling. no indictaor light. no warm tubes. NOTHING.

fuck.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wow dude, that's weird that there wasn't any crackling or anything. Mine went out about a year ago but crackled for a bit before going down. I just took it in to some independent electronics repairer and it works like a charm now.

My only guess would be that the power chord is shot or has a bad connection, but even then you'd expect some crackling before it went out. Good luck with it man.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Originally posted by don't_go_on_me
    wow dude, that's weird that there wasn't any crackling or anything. Mine went out about a year ago but crackled for a bit before going down. I just took it in to some independent electronics repairer and it works like a charm now.

My only guess would be that the power chord is shot or has a bad connection, but even then you'd expect some crackling before it went out. Good luck with it man.

ya im pissed off. big show friday night. ive put so much into this amp. i dont know what to do. so now im looking for other amps, cause i cant afford to keep fixing this damn thing...

whats a boy to do...
  • you're just gonna have to get REALLY friendly with an owner of a music shop, and maybe they'll let ya borrow one :).

Again, good luck with it man. You could try taking it into an electronic repair shop and just see if anyone there knows what is wrong with it, and then decide from there whether or not it's worth fixing. If it's just the power chord i wouldn't imagine it costing more that 30-40 bucks with labor.

Hope the show goes well too, is this the one at the Ascot Room?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    CHECK THE FUSE!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Originally posted by mccreadyisgod
    CHECK THE FUSE!

fuse on the wall? amp? ...plugged it into other outlets, still nothing...went thorugh another mpa in the socket, worked fine...could hvae blonw a fuse in the amp though? most likely..

im bringing it to savage audio in the morning...
    The fuse in the amp, yes! Should just be a barrel fuse. If that's it, be sure to replace it with the right fuse... you should be able to get a new fuse at any hardware or automotive store, if not a music shop.

I'd guess a fuse, because you lost all power at one fell swoop. If it fizzled, or if it lit up but made no noise, that might be a serious problem. But I'd bet money it's a fuse.

The fuse is probably under a little cap right by where the power cord enters the amp chassis.

If you go poking around the fuse, be sure to unplug before looking...
    The fuse in the amp, yes! Should just be a barrel fuse. If that's it, be sure to replace it with the right fuse... you should be able to get a new fuse at any hardware or automotive store, if not a music shop.

I'd guess a fuse, because you lost all power at one fell swoop. If it fizzled, or if it lit up but made no noise, that might be a serious problem. But I'd bet money it's a fuse.

The fuse is probably under a little cap right by where the power cord enters the amp chassis.

If you go poking around the fuse, be sure to unplug before looking...

i feel like ive put too much into this fucking amp. but i love it. it is too loud though...i dont know. tubes go, pre amp goes, power amp goes..replaced it all. on a few occasions.

im thinking about getting something a bit less wattage and smaller...

fender bassman reissue. or fender deville 2x12 (tweed) not sure though..thoughts?

i love the fender twin reverb II...its beautiful. loud, great bite to it. get sooo many different tones out of it...
    Well, a fuse is like $1 or $2. I'd check that before I'd trade it in... ;)

If you really like the sound of your amp, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you to replace it. When you find YOUR amp, you hang onto it... sometimes you have to put some $$$ into it to keep it working, but that's the price we pay for good tone sometimes. Besides, if you play on a tube amp all the time, at higher volumes, for extended lengths of time, you will run through tubes. You might get a cheapie fan to put on the back of the amp to keep heat from building up during practices... and always make sure your amp has ventilation space!

If you were serious about replacing it, and wanted less wattage, I'd look at the Pro Reverb:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0215500

Paco's gonna mention it if I don't:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0215100

I hate to trash-talk Fender, but their tube amps were crap starting in 1978 and they didn't redeem themselves until the reissues came out in 1990. And don't get me started on Fender solid-state amps...
    Well, a fuse is like $1 or $2. I'd check that before I'd trade it in... ;)

If you really like the sound of your amp, I'd be hard-pressed to tell you to replace it. When you find YOUR amp, you hang onto it... sometimes you have to put some $$$ into it to keep it working, but that's the price we pay for good tone sometimes. Besides, if you play on a tube amp all the time, at higher volumes, for extended lengths of time, you will run through tubes. You might get a cheapie fan to put on the back of the amp to keep heat from building up during practices... and always make sure your amp has ventilation space!

If you were serious about replacing it, and wanted less wattage, I'd look at the Pro Reverb:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0215500

Paco's gonna mention it if I don't:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0215100

I hate to trash-talk Fender, but their tube amps were crap starting in 1978 and they didn't redeem themselves until the reissues came out in 1990. And don't get me started on Fender solid-state amps...

yea i do love the amp. i wont trade it in. its just the volume. well. i dont know. i love it. i probably wont part with it but i like to keep my options open...

i dont believe this fender is a direct fender product though? not sure the history..but paul riveria took these amps and made them in like 1980...and i didnt think it was directly by fender....hmmmm...

dont get me started on any solid state amps :)

the only thing worse than solid state...is valvestate...oh god...
    Originally posted by 62strat
    dont get me started on any solid state amps :)

Try out a Roland Jazz Chorus... either a 2x10" or a 2x12" version... those amps rock! Entirely solid-state. I have a Fender Roc Pro amp, it's got one preamp tube in the overdrive channel and is otherwise entirely solid-state. I love it... I prefer my Sovtek, but I'll always have my Roc Pro. But I guess exceptions prove the rule, eh?

The Pro Reverb would be a good amp for you... the power-reduction feature drops it from 50 watts to 12 watts, so you could really crank it at low volumes, and then open it up at full power at the club...

Anyways, did you open up the fuse? Is it blown?
    Try out a Roland Jazz Chorus... either a 2x10" or a 2x12" version... those amps rock! Entirely solid-state. I have a Fender Roc Pro amp, it's got one preamp tube in the overdrive channel and is otherwise entirely solid-state. I love it... I prefer my Sovtek, but I'll always have my Roc Pro. But I guess exceptions prove the rule, eh?

The Pro Reverb would be a good amp for you... the power-reduction feature drops it from 50 watts to 12 watts, so you could really crank it at low volumes, and then open it up at full power at the club...

Anyways, did you open up the fuse? Is it blown?

im scared to tinker with it myself?
    im scared to tinker with it myself?

Wimp. A fuse is about as mechanically complicated as a lightbulb. In fact, they have the same principle... a filiment passing current in a vaccum chamber in a glass-and-metal enclosure.

Find the fuse on the back of the amp, take off the cap, remove the fuse, and see if the filament is intact. If it's blown, it will likely leave a bit of soot inside the fuse, so if it's blackened, it's gone.
    Wimp. A fuse is about as mechanically complicated as a lightbulb. In fact, they have the same principle... a filiment passing current in a vaccum chamber in a glass-and-metal enclosure.

Find the fuse on the back of the amp, take off the cap, remove the fuse, and see if the filament is intact. If it's blown, it will likely leave a bit of soot inside the fuse, so if it's blackened, it's gone.

haha. its out in the car and it weights 100 freeking lbs!

im lazy and a wimp. not sure if i need to take off the whhole back plate or not...ok ill go get it
    ok ill go get it

Woo hoo! Let's fix an amp!

Anyone else wanna join in? I need a beer...

So, what did we find?
  • I'd love to join in, but i have no knowledge on how to fix this kinda stuff so i'll just observe you two do it :). And btw mccreadyisgod...you know your shit; you must work at a guitar store?

ok...im here..sorry it took so long..its a heavy one!
    never seen one before..i took the cap off..then the fuse came with it...like a little glass tube kind of thing..tiny...uh...now what?
    never seen one before..i took the cap off..then the fuse came with it...like a little glass tube kind of thing..tiny...uh...now what?

There should be a little metal filament inside the glass tube. Is the filament intact, or is it broken? Cracked?
    And btw mccreadyisgod...you know your shit; you must work at a guitar store?

No... I just have a lot of free time... a LOT of free time...
    ok ummm...

the "filament" is not intact...that is of course if the filamet is the...little wiry looking thing in the fuse..coming from both ends..it does not meet in the middle..is that bad? is that what you speak of?

and i see no black soot...

hmmm?
    ok ummm...

the "filament" is not intact...that is of course if the filamet is the...little wiry looking thing in the fuse..coming from both ends..it does not meet in the middle..is that bad? is that what you speak of?

and i see no black soot...

hmmm?

The filament is the metal wire that runs from one end to the other. It breaks if too much current runs through it... that's how it protects the amp. If the amp sucks more juice than it can handle, the fuse blows instead of the whole amp.

If that wire filament is broken, then you need a new fuse, and the amp is FINE! And if there isn't any soot, that's actually a great sign, because it means the fuse just sorta gave out, rather than blew up... that indicates a normal fuse blow, not a symptom of a bigger problem.

Replace the fuse and keep on rockin'!

Take the old fuse in wherever you go to get a new one... that way you'll get the right sized fuse with the right amperage rating. Like I said earlier, any hardware, automotive, or music store should have a fuse that works.
    The filament is the metal wire that runs from one end to the other. It breaks if too much current runs through it... that's how it protects the amp. If the amp sucks more juice than it can handle, the fuse blows instead of the whole amp.

If that wire filament is broken, then you need a new fuse, and the amp is FINE! And if there isn't any soot, that's actually a great sign, because it means the fuse just sorta gave out, rather than blew up... that indicates a normal fuse blow, not a symptom of a bigger problem.

Replace the fuse and keep on rockin'!

Take the old fuse in wherever you go to get a new one... that way you'll get the right sized fuse with the right amperage rating. Like I said earlier, any hardware, automotive, or music store should have a fuse that works.

yes!!!!! how much do i owe you?!?!?!?!?! thank you very much MIG..mucho gracias!

now how cna i prevent this from happening again too soon...
  • 62 strat, sounds like you can breathe a sigh of relief and clean out your underpants :).

Alright fellas...now you both will probably find this pathetic...but i've been playing guitar for around 5 years and i still don't know how to adjust my neck when i start getting fret buzz. You guys up for the project of teaching me how to do it?

62 strat, sounds like you can breathe a sigh of relief and clean out your underpants :).

Alright fellas...now you both will probably find this pathetic...but i've been playing guitar for around 5 years and i still don't know how to adjust my neck when i start getting fret buzz. You guys up for the project of teaching me how to do it?

i always bring that to be professionally setup..let the pros do it...

but thats just me. its fairly cheap, 20 bucks for a complete setup...
    yes!!!!! how much do i owe you?!?!?!?!?! thank you very much MIG..mucho gracias!

now how cna i prevent this from happening again too soon...

My fee is your ever-loving soul, or a bit of good karma... whichever you prefer...

To prevent blowing a fuse again, don't turn up so much! And keeping the amp from overheating will help immensely. Make sure the amp can "breathe", has room around it and behind it where air can circulate. Two big causes of overheating: Stacking stuff on top of the amp, and tilting the amp back against a wall, creating a "tent" where heat collects. I really recommend using a cheap fan pointed at the back of the amp during practice, if that's possible. Just a little clip-on fan will work wonders. A fan might not sound great at a gig, but at practice at least...

One last tip: when you get a new fuse, get a few. You should always have a spare fuse on hand, especially at gigs. They blow occasionally, it's just part of owning an amp. You can just e-tape a spare right inside the amp somewhere.

Well, any number of things can cause fret buzz. Low action, warped neck, or out-of-place frets. The two ways to fix the problem are to adjust the neck tension via the truss-rod (the metal rod that runs the length of the neck, ending in an Allen hexagonally-shaped key) or to machine (file and re-shape) the frets. If the guitar is older, and has been played a bunch, it may even need new frets. Does this problem affect only certain strings, and/or only around a few certain frets? If so, what strings and what frets? Is this an acoustic guitar, acoustic cut-away guitar, or electric guitar?

As for how to fix it, it really should be done by a professional. If there is a good shop around where you live, take it in and see what they'd charge for a setup. I usually have my guitars set up by a guy here once every two years. My guy does a little extra for about $90, but most places charge between $20 and $50 for a setup.
  • Yeah, i've always had neck adjustments (warped due to temperature changes and humidity) done by the store that i bought the guitars at and they do it for free. I do have some fret wear however, any clue how much new frets will run me?

Well, having your frets machined and re-crowned shouldn't be too much... having them replaced is another story entirely. Removing frets is a pain in the ass, and then replacing them is a chore. It's definitely a job for a pro. I wouldn't know how much this would cost you... ask around at shops in your area.

Have a good guitar tech look at your guitar and find out what the source of the problem is, don't get work done that you don't need.
  • cool...thanks for the help guys; guess i'll just keep taking my guitars to the same dude (and i don't feel so bad anymore about not knowing how to do it myself)

• Probably all those pedals you have infront of the amp!!! Just kidding. Sounds like a fuse to me too.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/