Options

"Dress sneakers" in the Oval Office: Yea or Nay?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
Apparently the "Congressional Sneaker Caucus" is cool with it:
Some examples in case you think I'm making this sh*t up:
Do dress sneakers belong in the Oval Office  The Seattle Times

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

"Dress sneakers" in the Oval Office: Yea or Nay? 7 votes

Nay! Tacky and unprofessional!
28%
gimmesometruth27Indifference 2 votes
Only if accomapanied by a mature and responsible pre-schooler.
0%
Yea! And while they're at it, allow jeans jackets with sparklies for women.
71%
cincybearcatstatic111OnWis97PJ_Soulcottagesteeze 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Who cares what they wear on their feet?  Some of those are far nicer than so called dress shoes.
    They should be more concerned about sending representatives/soles with souls.  :)

Signed,
    Someone with thousands and thousands of dollars of suits in his closet....who likes comfortable kicks.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Who cares what they wear on their feet?  Some of those are far nicer than so called dress shoes.
    They should be more concerned about sending representatives/soles with souls.  :)

Signed,
    Someone with thousands and thousands of dollars of suits in his closet....who likes comfortable kicks.
    I care.

My sole objection (inserts exclamation point) is that casual dress by our leaders indicates a lack of seriousness about their position.  Their tongues move and make noise but when they presume a casual stance they merely treating their constituents as heels.  All the while their arch disregard for formality only makes it easier for them to grind us under there... yeah...

Etc.  Ain't no big deal, and of course there are way bigger issues to think about, but to me this whole sneaker in the Oval Office thing is tacky and just as low-brow as Sinema wearing a jeans jacket to vote on an issue in the Senate.  Really?  Are we really supposed to take these lawmakers seriously?  Hardly.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,666
    Nice footwork 

Could not disagree more on the conclusion you come to....but, to each their own.

(Jeans jackets may represent poor taste- we can agree on that, though. )  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,931
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,135
    brianlux said:

Are these considered sneakers?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Etc.  Ain't no big deal, and of course there are way bigger issues to think about, but to me this whole sneaker in the Oval Office thing is tacky and just as low-brow as Sinema wearing a jeans jacket to vote on an issue in the Senate.  Really?  Are we really supposed to take these lawmakers seriously?  Hardly.
    Is this a joke?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,909
    I could care less what they wear.  Quite honestly if they wore clown shoes at least they'd be authentic.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,835
    jwhjr17 said:
    I could care less what they wear.  Quite honestly if they wore clown shoes at least they'd be authentic.
    Ha! Excellent post. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I don't think most people consider them sneakers 
  • Options
    jwhjr17 said:
    Couldn't care less?
    Feel the same.
    Clown shoes would be a nice touch
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    Wow Bri surprised you’re not 100% on board with the casual look. Unfortunately I have to attend a funeral this week and I don’t think I own a suit anymore. Oh well..I have black sneakers that look like shoes, it’ll have to do
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yes
    brianlux said:
    Is this a joke?
    A joke?  No, certainly not.
    jwhjr17 said:
    Haha!  Well said.  "We're all bozos on this bus" does, sadly seem like an appropriate epithet for much of congress today.
    Wow Bri surprised you’re not 100% on board with the casual look. Unfortunately I have to attend a funeral this week and I don’t think I own a suit anymore. Oh well..I have black sneakers that look like shoes, it’ll have to do

In my own every day life, I'm totally Mr. Casual dress.  In the winter it's, jeans, skate shoes, t-shirt layered with flannel or corduroy shirt, jacket.  In the summer, lose the outer layers. 
    But were talking about people who represent us and when they meet in the oval office or in the Senate chamber, I would think they would want to look professional at that level.  Federal government is not a casual business.  It serious stuff and I don't appreciate these lawmakers taking cavalier, casual approach to what they do.  To me, it's just one more sign that these people don't take their job seriously.

And by the way, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You're going, that shows you care and that counts the most.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,082
    brianlux said:

That's a dress show, not a sneaker.
  • Options
    The fashion gurus are making high quality dress "sneakers" though you won't hear them called that.

The brown leather upper with laces and a white or gum sole is considered accepted and fashionable nowadays.

I stopped wearing dress shoes 10 years ago.  I wear a nice pair of Jordans now.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

That's a dress show, 

• Options
    brianlux said:

That's a dress show, 

hahahaha!  shoe.

Wheres Shannon Hoon and Weiland photos?

James?
  • Options
    jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,909
    jwhjr17 said:
    Couldn't care less?
    Feel the same.
    Clown shoes would be a nice touch
    Ha yes!  Couldn't  :grin:
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Yes
    brianlux said:
    Is this a joke?
    A joke?  No, certainly not.
    jwhjr17 said:
    Haha!  Well said.  "We're all bozos on this bus" does, sadly seem like an appropriate epithet for much of congress today.

In my own every day life, I'm totally Mr. Casual dress.  In the winter it's, jeans, skate shoes, t-shirt layered with flannel or corduroy shirt, jacket.  In the summer, lose the outer layers. 
    But were talking about people who represent us and when they meet in the oval office or in the Senate chamber, I would think they would want to look professional at that level.  Federal government is not a casual business.  It serious stuff and I don't appreciate these lawmakers taking cavalier, casual approach to what they do.  To me, it's just one more sign that these people don't take their job seriously.

And by the way, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. You're going, that shows you care and that counts the most.
    Thanks Bri, let's keep on rocking on.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I'm noticing sneakers with khakis a lot more in the professional world over the last two years than ever before. I personally wouldn't do it because I can't pull it off (at least I'd feel self-conscious about it) but I legitimately could care less if others do it, including legislators, Biden, Trump, Putin, or Elon.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,774
    I would like to see them all dress appropriately and by that I mean, really dress up. They are there to do serious business and it's just possible it would help them to remember that if they look serious - and they might even try to feel it and seriously do the work. Gym attire doesn't inspire confidence...at least in me.  It might be just me though. :) This excludes sports figures. 
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    Have you seen these types of shoes?  Nobody would wear them to the gym.
    (Actually, it would be funny to see someone wearing these like a pair of Nikes.)

I've been saying for years that women should be wearing sneakers or at least normal shoes vs. Those torture device looking high heeled shoes.  (Of course, if they want to wear them and are comfortable,  more power to them.)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,860
    I have no issue with the "business casual" look. many executives at very big companies are taking on that type of look. I think it looks kind of "actionable wear". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Do people honestly care if they wear comfortable nice looking shoes just cause they don't meet some standard of dress shoes from the 50's?

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Do people honestly care if they wear comfortable nice looking shoes just cause they don't meet some standard of dress shoes from the 50's?

I doubt most people care. 
    This is the 2020's and their are dress shoes that are not sneakers but that are comfortable, unlike the foot-torture shoes of the 50's.

• Options
    would it be fair to say the party leaders of the house are on their feet alot and do a fair amount of walking?

would you have noticed if the soles had been a matching color?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Kat said:
    I would like to see them all dress appropriately and by that I mean, really dress up. They are there to do serious business and it's just possible it would help them to remember that if they look serious - and they might even try to feel it and seriously do the work. Gym attire doesn't inspire confidence...at least in me.  It might be just me though. :) This excludes sports figures. 

Exactly how I feel, Kat. 
    I just can't take people seriously if they are not taking the job seriously.  I would feel the same way of a fire fighter were wearing a Brooks Brother suit  or if a surgeon was wearing Grateful Dead t-shirt while trying to save my life.

mickeyrat said:
    would it be fair to say the party leaders of the house are on their feet alot and do a fair amount of walking?

I don't have any idea how much walking Senators and Representatives do but when meeting in the oval office with the President, I would expect them to dress appropriately.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Kat said:

Exactly how I feel, Kat. 
    I just can't take people seriously if they are not taking the job seriously.  I would feel the same way of a fire fighter were wearing a Brooks Brother suit  or if a surgeon was wearing Grateful Dead t-shirt while trying to save my life.

mickeyrat said:

I don't have any idea how much walking Senators and Representatives do but when meeting in the oval office with the President, I would expect them to dress appropriately.
    both were in suit and tie.

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Man all this talk about what people wear actually pisses me off.  

Serious business means you have to wear certain clothes?  I suppose we all have our lines on what is nice enough, but man this just all seems so petty.  It's got some serious "Get off my lawn" vibes.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,387
    Is this the new tan suit?