The Ever So Elusive "Bridge"

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited August 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i dont know about you guys. but writing bridges to songs, or another part, whateve ryou want to call them...sucks. can ruin a song, can ruin the creativity of the song, can be no fun. is it needed? not always. does it need to be standard structured song? no. but for those cases that may need, should have one, feel one...it sucks and my band struggles with it more than anything. we always tend to fall into the same thing. or the bridge really isnt needed and doesnt add anything to the song...

what about you songwriters out there.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I like them simple.

Breath......best bridge of all time. bad ass chord change....back to A rhythm.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    2nd best bridge ever...

spacehog- in the meantime
  • I'll have to try and play that Spacehog bridge.
  • You don't always have to put a bridge into a song. But if its the right 'feel' for the song it can really add something incredible into the whole thing!

I'd say one of the masters of bridges (If not an obvious one) would be R.E.M. some of those can make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

But otherwise, you could just add in random sounds, like kicking a metal bin or something. Just call it artistic and you'll be fine!! :)
    [Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Toronto 05 - Astoria 06 - Dublin 06 - Leeds 06 - Reading 06 - Wembley 07] -- I think I've had enough ....
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Adding a bridge is a great way to rejuvinate a song whose hook gets stale after two verse-chorus cycles... Just when people might turn back to their beer or their girlfriend, it makes them take notice again.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.