Talk to me about delays

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited July 2004 in Musicians and Gearheads
so i think my beloved boss dm2 delay is done. ive put money into it to get fixed up. but its just dying on me and not sure if i want to keep pumping money into a pedal...

i fucking loved this thing. and im sad to move on from it. but i need something newer,more reliable (sound like my amp huh??) shit. old vintage crap.

anyways. what delays out there, analog or digital..preferrably analog. ive used the boss dd5...i didnt really care too much for it, but again...i used it years ago...

ive heard good things about the dan echo....

any others? the maxon? ibanez? suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    how much do you want to spend?

if you want something that acts like the DM2, get either a maxon or ibanez AD9.

if you want something that will do tons of shit, line6 DL4 or boss DD20.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Get a Boss DD6 and an Akai Head Rush. Done.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    i suppose id be willing to spend up to 150 or so.

i love what the dm2 did, love how warm the delay was and how...little control i had over it? not really but...it was very...well analog i suppose.

does ibanez still make the ad9 or do i have to purchase one used? and possibly go trhough the same thing i did with the dm2? i suppose id like something, if possible, that i could get that nasty warm delay, coupled with the ability to get a nice echo reverb etc...

i guess i just answered my own question...variety would probably be best out of the pedal

do you know anything of the dan echo?
    the dan-echo is cool but doesn't oscillate like an analog pedal. the echos are good though.

it's discontinued (as is the head rush) and may be difficult to find outside of ebay.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    that electro harmonix memory man, is by far my favorite. even in the models on my DL-4
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • puremagicpuremagic Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by exhausted
    how much do you want to spend?

if you want something that acts like the DM2, get either a maxon or ibanez AD9.

if you want something that will do tons of shit, line6 DL4 or boss DD20.

ex, do you like the dd20? I tried it once but, I didn't have the patience to keep fine tuning it.
    SIN EATERS--We take the moral excrement we find in this equation and we bury it down deep inside of us so that the rest of our case can stay pure. That is the job. We are morally indefensible and absolutely necessary.
    Originally posted by puremagic
    ex, do you like the dd20? I tried it once but, I didn't have the patience to keep fine tuning it.

never tried it. i already had the DL4 by the time it came out. but it gets good reviews.
    all those look like theyd be great for recording and studio. but im worried about having so much shit to deal with onstage. ive already got enough to worry about, me pulling chords out, amp breakin, breaking strings etc... to worry about more knobs...hmmm... the memory man looks great though...
    in my opinion, the memory man would be the hardest to control in a live setting due to it's touchiness with input levels etc.

it's my favourite delay sound though.
    well i went and purchsed the ibanez ad9.

much like the dm2, but apparantly more versatile.The AD 9 and the Boss DM 2 are simular but this Ibanez sounds a little fuller, more bottom end and cleaner. and apparrnttly the ad9 uses both reverb and delay to get the tone, makign it more full and rich...so im ecited, simple yet effective.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm all set to get a DD-6...

But I love digital delay, way more than analog.

The Memory Man would be a great pedal to "clone" and get all the reliability issues figured out.

My favorite Memory Man anecdote is the story about the Edge (U2) using two Memory Man pedals on stage back in the 80's, but he toured with 20+ of them, and they'd try out each one every gig to see which two were working best that night. They have a great, distinctive sound when they work... but man, what a pain!
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • C-minorC-minor Posts: 77
    I have a Boss DD6.
    I wasnt wild about getting it at first but Ive Grown to
    Absolutely Love this Pedal.
    This is the greatest band in the world
    -Ben Harper-MSG 1 2003 -7-8
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    The thing I love about the DD-6 is that the footswitch is for the delay SEND, not the RETURN. So, if you hit the switch, it starts sending stuff to the delay, and when you hit the switch again, it stops sending stuff to the delay. This is especially helpful when you are switching between clean and delayed parts of a song (like rhythm into a lead, etc). The last thing you play before engaging the delay won't get looped, and the last note you hit before disengaging will fade out while you switch parts. Most delay pedals switch the return on and off, which I absolutely hate.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    I like my DL4 a lot, I imagine once I really sit down with it and experiment with it I'll love it.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
  • DD-6 Rocks my world. Sure it's not analog, but hey.....it does so much and sounds good enough to me! The hold and reverse functions I especially like.
    Cause I'll stop trying to make a difference. I'm not trying to make a difference. I'll stop trying to make a difference. No way!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Originally posted by LemonYellowSun
    DD-6 Rocks my world. Sure it's not analog, but hey.....it does so much and sounds good enough to me! The hold and reverse functions I especially like.

I have had a DD5 for years and love it.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"