Mansfield Experiment 20th Anniversary

Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
For those of you who attended any or all of the three shows, we're looking for stories of your experience that we can share on Live On 4 Legs Podcast for when we cover them for episodes this summer. It can be anything that makes those shows important to you whether it's finding out about the experiment, anticipating certain songs, parking lot memories, being there or not being there for the acoustic set, etc. Anything that's personal to you that you feel like sharing, send it in. You don't need to break down every song or reiterate Ed's stories, we'll take care of all of that in the episode. Your POV is all we'd need.

Please submit your story or stories here - http://liveon4legs.com/mansfield and we'll make sure we tell them on one of the episodes! I know a lot of you were there and have fond memories, so let's hear about it!
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    Bumping
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

Bumping again

all I’ve ever heard from the people who went to these shows is how incredible the experience was. Now for those of you who say that, you have an opportunity to tell your stories. Deadline is approaching, make sure you jump on it soon!

• WindowPaineWindowPaine Posts: 524
    I had 10c tickets for this show.
    The day before (i think) I heard ticketmaster released some tickets. For the hell of it I went on to ticketmaster and...scored 5th row center. I couldn't believe it. Quickly gave my tickets away to I forget who, my brother and or friends. That day the old pearl jam/10c/synergy forum was abuzz with "get there early pj are playing an acoustic pre set". I live about 90 minutes away so making sure I got there on time wasn't an issue. 

Walking to my seat in the afternoon with hardly anyone in the venue I kept saying "holy shit" as I walked down the aisle, getting closer and close to the stage. I'd been on the rail for my 1st show on the Vs. tour and sat relatively close before but this was more or less the first full pearl jam acoustic set since mtv unplugged (i didn't count bridge school at the time for some reason). Unplugged was and is iconic for me for many reasons, personal and musical, so this was going to be great. 

It lived up to the hype in my mind. Sun still out, venue half full, everyone sitting down. I mean, it wasn't like they were going to play an acoustic version of blood or anything haha. I specifically remember being psyched on Footsteps. Probably because that was the one Ten era song they played in the set and it's classic to me and could've easily been on Unplugged in '92. 

I went to 9 or 10 shows on this tour (tickets were only $45-50!!) and this is easily one of the top moments for me. The other being at MSG and getting to see Crown of Thorns for the first time. CoT/Breath back to back at MSG...come on. Plus the crowds for the MSG were insane. Couldn't even hear EV at some points!

The poster for this show currently hangs in my kitchen. 

Anyway, that's my memory of 7/11/2003
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • raforafo Posts: 75
    Is there any photo of that concert or of the acoustic one in particular?

The day before (i think) I heard ticketmaster released some tickets. For the hell of it I went on to ticketmaster and...scored 5th row center. I couldn't believe it. Quickly gave my tickets away to I forget who, my brother and or friends. That day the old pearl jam/10c/synergy forum was abuzz with "get there early pj are playing an acoustic pre set". I live about 90 minutes away so making sure I got there on time wasn't an issue. 

Walking to my seat in the afternoon with hardly anyone in the venue I kept saying "holy shit" as I walked down the aisle, getting closer and close to the stage. I'd been on the rail for my 1st show on the Vs. tour and sat relatively close before but this was more or less the first full pearl jam acoustic set since mtv unplugged (i didn't count bridge school at the time for some reason). Unplugged was and is iconic for me for many reasons, personal and musical, so this was going to be great. 

It lived up to the hype in my mind. Sun still out, venue half full, everyone sitting down. I mean, it wasn't like they were going to play an acoustic version of blood or anything haha. I specifically remember being psyched on Footsteps. Probably because that was the one Ten era song they played in the set and it's classic to me and could've easily been on Unplugged in '92. 

I went to 9 or 10 shows on this tour (tickets were only $45-50!!) and this is easily one of the top moments for me. The other being at MSG and getting to see Crown of Thorns for the first time. CoT/Breath back to back at MSG...come on. Plus the crowds for the MSG were insane. Couldn't even hear EV at some points!

Good stuff! Would you mind at all going to the site and plugging that in? I don’t want to forget about it, just a way to make sure everything is in the right spot. Thank you!

Good stuff! Would you mind at all going to the site and plugging that in? I don’t want to forget about it, just a way to make sure everything is in the right spot. Thank you!
    Yea if i had bothered to listen to what you wrote then I would've done that instead of posting here haha. sorry. done and done!

Yea if i had bothered to listen to what you wrote then I would've done that instead of posting here haha. sorry. done and done!
    You’re good! Thanks, Brett. Didn’t know this was you.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650

There were no 10C tix to 7/11. Only 7/2 had 10club tix. 7/3 & 7/11 were "rollover" shows and there were not 10C tix.
    Those were the days of mailing in your requests on index cards with a money order, only the first Mansfield show was on the order form.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

There were no 10C tix to 7/11. Only 7/2 had 10club tix. 7/3 & 7/11 were "rollover" shows and there were not 10C tix.
    Those were the days of mailing in your requests on index cards with a money order, only the first Mansfield show was on the order form.
    10c tickets were definitely through an online process at that point. I went to 9 shows that tour and would have specifically remembered mailing index cards and money orders (not sure i've ever even used a money order in my life ha).

there not being 10c tickets for those shows? i'd argue that there was but i don't remember and don't really care haha. I know i had tickets for the show then found better ones that day or the day before on ticketmaster. it was fun

You’re good! Thanks, Brett. Didn’t know this was you.
    Thanks Randy, not sure if you'd remember me! 
  • 7/11/03 was my first show. 

Needless to say, I became a big fan.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    Poncier said:

10c tickets were definitely through an online process at that point. I went to 9 shows that tour and would have specifically remembered mailing index cards and money orders (not sure i've ever even used a money order in my life ha).

there not being 10c tickets for those shows? i'd argue that there was but i don't remember and don't really care haha. I know i had tickets for the show then found better ones that day or the day before on ticketmaster. it was fun

Not online yet.  2003 was definitely money orders and index cards. In addition, you had to mail in each show you requested separately.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    I don't believe 7/11 was announced the same time 7/3 was. 7/3 went on sale almost immediately after 7/2 sold out. 7/11 wasn't announced until a few weeks later. Then the acoustic set was announced like a week before the show. I think we were at the MSG shows when we found out. 

Very fond memories of these shows. That acoustic set was one of the coolest things I had witnessed at that point. We left our seats during SK and just hung out on the lawn with some friends.  So much fun.
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    Show #2, from Once on was the most blistering and awesome I ever heard them live. Complete fire. Driven to Tears was a little of a let down. Seen them a dozen or so times, this stands out.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    Plus my signature
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    I don't believe 7/11 was announced the same time 7/3 was. 7/3 went on sale almost immediately after 7/2 sold out. 7/11 wasn't announced until a few weeks later. Then the acoustic set was announced like a week before the show. I think we were at the MSG shows when we found out. 

That is correct. 7/3 show "rolled over" as soon as 7/2 show sold out on the initial on sale date.
    7/11 was at least a week later.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Thanks for the further comments, would love if you guys could share the story for us to use on the pod. http://liveon4legs.com/mansfield

deadline is Thursday!

Last call, today is the final day that we’ll be accepting submissions. Episodes kick off next week!

Recording Night 1's episode tonight. Any performances that you guys are looking forward to reliving?

• LCLC Posts: 278
    Happy 21st!  The Experiment can legally drink.

"Are we gonna have a Boston Tea Party?...or a Boston drink wine till you pass out and dream you're in prison party...this next one's called Deep!" - 7/2/03
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston