$$ Pearl Jam in the Studio $$

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited May 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
how much do you think pearl jam spends in the studio on average for an album? specifically the new album. Of course its all speculation. Yo

Perhaps fairly cheap? as they all have their own studios and are well versed in the process as stone has his own and has produced, same with cameron....and im sure the rest.

No A & R guy's humping down their throat? NO big time producers.

BUt again they dont have label money and they have spent alot of time in the studio?

i just got to thinking because apparantly stone joked and said they were going on tour because they were broke. now obviously they aren't broke but within every joke lies a bit of truth? perhaps they need money to continue on the process of making an album? i dont know....

just thinking.

The porch would go to crazy over this one i think.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    62strat wrote:
    how much do you think pearl jam spends in the studio on average for an album? specifically the new album. Of course its all speculation. Yo

Perhaps fairly cheap? as they all have their own studios and are well versed in the process as stone has his own and has produced, same with cameron....and im sure the rest.

No A & R guy's humping down their throat? NO big time producers.

BUt again they dont have label money and they have spent alot of time in the studio?

i just got to thinking because apparantly stone joked and said they were going on tour because they were broke. now obviously they aren't broke but within every joke lies a bit of truth? perhaps they need money to continue on the process of making an album? i dont know....

just thinking.

The porch would go to crazy over this one i think.

I'd say the studio's are probably where they spend most of thier cash. They do own them I think, but someone's got to pay the engineers and the ones they keep around aren't cheap. Not to mention the A level producers and all those magnificient toys...... I couldn't speculate as to what all that costs, it's just cool that they spend the money for the best stuff where it counts. Studio time, Brenden O Brian, Brett Eliason to name a couple, EAW loudspeakers, Keeley on the lights, Rat Sound Monitors, clearly brilliant monitor engineers. I don't know how much it costs exactly but I have ideas. They money they earn, they put back into thier craft.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • WhiteMaleRatWhiteMaleRat Posts: 301
    the dog from Rival is on strike.....wanted more bones.

Great question though. I would love to see a breakdown of all the costs through the years for all the albums, bootlegs, tours, etc.
    "This guy back here is giving me the ole one more....one more back to you buddy."

- Mr. Edward Vedder 7/11/03

• dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    i'm sure the costs are crazy-expensive. At first when i heard Stone say that about money, i figured he was joking. but then when the dumb lady asked again, he sounded serious. Now, by no means do i believe they're about to go on welfare anytime soon, but...

everything they do costs money. Putting on a charitable gig costs them money (and they do that often). Studio time (outside of their own) costs them money. And like mentioned above...engineers, producers, etc. etc. Easy to see how bands can drop a million in the studio alone. And all that money invested into the final product (album), which bands hardly make anything from. Considering that, and the fact that Pearl Jam wasn't happy with their contract with Sony...perhaps they were getting fucked over? Let's not forget that the band's popularity has greatly diminished. Some people refuse to acknowledge it though...Ten and Vs. sold 10 and 5 million respectively, while binaural and riot act haven't reached a million in sales. They have a hardcore following, undoubtably...but many record buyers don't know they are still making music.

touring...everyone bitches about the increase in prices. Hmm, hasn't EVERYTHING in this world gone up in price in the last couple years? It's inflation, a subject that people on here (mainly on the porch, although i don't want to point fingers) can't seem to grasp. Gas prices are the highest they've ever been...especially in Canada where it's 3.50 a gallon. Take 3.50 a gallon times ___ (insert number of trucks and buses that get 8 miles to the gallon). Then, when that's all said and done...they spend a ton of money to offset the energy that, not only they have taken away from mother earth, but that they estimate their fans took away as well. Lord only knows how much that bill came to. Then add in roadies, security, lighting, sound techies...maybe 20, 30, 50 people? They have families to feed as well.

alright, so there is a brief rundown of expenses...and who knows what all i forgot. And although some people can't handle the fact that the band members need to make money, it's a fact. this is their job...their life. Now, obviously the boys will make more money than i ever will...but come on...i wouldn't go as far as saying that they are living the extreme celeb lifestyle (granted, this is all speculation). If you're an amazing musician, you deserve to have a nice car and a nice house. There's a fine line indeed, but they deserve to have some money.

bottom line...it's an expensive industry. And i'll gladly plop down 60 bucks to see a band (that has changed my life) play for 2 1/2 hours and put their heart and soul into every note.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    62strat wrote:

They have a deal with BMG/J Records (Who is owned by Sony also) for this upcoming record....so I bet they do have label money.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    aNiMaL wrote:
    They have a deal with BMG/J Records (Who is owned by Sony also) for this upcoming record....so I bet they do have label money.

i thought that was distribution ONLY...
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    My best guess is that as individuals all the members of PJ are doing fine.

But that slumping album sales and not touring for profit since 2003 have hurt the PJ Corporation and I could see the band being low on funds, especially since I believe they are paying for studio time themselves.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
    and i got to wonder how much equipment they own themselves? mixing boards etc, gear, monitors...

and if they are producing it themselves? which ive gathered they are since nothing else has been said...

and now its open to the porch apparantly...

i want to state this is NOT about ticket prices, opening for the stones or ANYTHING...

just curious as to what they might have to put into creating their albums etc...
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    62strat wrote:
    i thought that was distribution ONLY...

Yeah, you may be right. But (and I don't know) does that mean no money from the label at all? The label will stand to make some money too, no?
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Yeah, you may be right. But (and I don't know) does that mean no money from the label at all? The label will stand to make some money too, no?

yea im sure they will. no idea on what % they get from sales...

of course we dont know how much money, if any they lend tot he recording process...

i dont think pearl jam would take al arge sum ofm oney only to know they have to pay them back...now that they are on their own i would assume that they would try their hardest to avoid any of that...
  • UnleashedUnleashed Posts: 261

bottom line...it's an expensive industry. And i'll gladly plop down 60 bucks to see a band (that has changed my life) play for 2 1/2 hours and put their heart and soul into every note.

I agree with your entire post, but this I would like to point out is the exact opinion I have - I feel the exact same way. Plus, like you said, inflation, everything goes up - they are the lucky ones who get to do what they love for a living and get paid for it, but even so, they still have to put food on the table and pay their bills....................................................
    I will feel alive as long as I am free
  • armanHammerarmanHammer Posts: 471
    In the Lost Dogs booklet under Last Kiss it says it was produced by (brendan o brien? forgot) for a couple grand. That could be a starting point. I'm sure using the studio is free since Stone owns it.
    Riverside.. LA.. California. EV?
    In the Lost Dogs booklet under Last Kiss it says it was produced by (brendan o brien? forgot) for a couple grand. That could be a starting point. I'm sure using the studio is free since Stone owns it.

hmm, but last kiss was recorded at a soundcheck...recorded live...
  • dont_go_on_medont_go_on_me Posts: 877
    62strat wrote:
    hmm, but last kiss was recorded at a soundcheck...recorded live...
    that was my thought as well.

maybe Brendan took the originally recorded version and cleaned it up a bit or something...?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Well...considering that Matt owns a studio, I'd bet that they get a ton of pre-production out of the way at his place. I could be 100% wrong...but it would be a good guess :)

Otherwise, having been an engineer in a big room, I'd hazard a guess that they could be spending at least 70-100k on their recordings. And that's just for the tracking. Studio's the size of Bad Animals can command well over $150 an hour...and more like tripple that depending on the market.
    El_Bajista wrote:
    Why is this any of your business? This is one thing that really fucks me off. The presumption that the openess of this forum is a license to pry and speculate into private affairs. It's no wonder PJ are super-private in their activities.

Would you ask how my mother/brother managed to buy a car? No. It is meaningless, just enjoy the music.

Ease up there, holmes. I think it's a valid question for someone who might not have any perspective of what it costs to make a major label record...or for someone who is spending what they believe is a lot of money...and wondering why their record doesn't have the overal sonic quality of a Pearl Jam record. I don't see anyone asking to review the books. Damn!

70-100k is a modest to average budget for most abnds. Mega-stars can spend up to a million...but there's not a whole lot of difference in overall quality IMO. It's just wasting time. and having the 3 hottest mix guys at the moment mix-off to see who's version gets released...shit like that.

The original question was a valid one IMO...unless the person intended to do something diabolical with the knowledge of Pearl Jam's recording budget. Sheeeeeesh.
  • a lot of bands just drift in and out of studio during the process... radiohead for instance, has been working about as long as pearl jam and have only been into studio twice. just throwing that out there.

I'm sure theyre doing fine.

They're going on tour in september to try out new material live before the release, almost every band including pearl jam does it before each album.

A valid reason for the slight delay on the new album (as opposed to their normal schedule) could be that they cant afford by themselves to go into studio every 1 1/2 to 2 years for a new album,.. but i dont think that applies here.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
    El_Bajista wrote:
    What is the point of speculating on any of this stuff? Seriously. If you're in a band and want to cut a record then go and get some quotes! What does it matter what PJ spend on production etc? It just doesn't translate.

Have you ever recorded an album? It is hardly that simple.