To Sell Off Or Not To Sell Off

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited October 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
well, asim growing older, or at least in a transitional period in my life

the period in which i morph into a young adult ie. from playing in bands in college, drinking, to out of college, weddings, work etc...

im finding it difficult to find common ground on ways bands can work together. Part of it is my lack of enthusiasm, perhaps im sick of playing with the same people? perhaps im just past the "i NEED to be a rockstar" ok, scratch that :)

its hard to get together with the guys, dont hav ea common ground on song writing, dont have as much time. We have already kind of peaked as to what we would peak at in the local scene, dont have time, or talent to go beyond where we are. So we hit a wall. As i look into the future, its only going to get tougher.

Should i scale down on my gear?
do i need a 62 reissue strat? a gibson sg, fender twin reverb, shit loads of pedals?

I dont know. confusing, sad, i know id miss them, but...would i?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I don't think one personally can ever own enough gear.

If you sell that 62 though give me a heads up.

You could always buy this gorgeous little tele if you decide to sell some stuff off.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104939
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I don't think one personally can ever own enough gear.

If you sell that 62 though give me a heads up.

You could always buy this gorgeous little tele if you decide to sell some stuff off.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104939

youre not making this any easier:)

Jus tnot sure how much use ill be getting out of this stuff in the years to come....
    62strat wrote:
    youre not making this any easier:)

Jus tnot sure how much use ill be getting out of this stuff in the years to come....

You could always sell off the twin and go lower wattage, and the guitars will probably change, but the instrument itself will be there forever. why stop playing just because you're older?

Changing up the equipment can reignite passion. Just ask house.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    You could always sell off the twin and go lower wattage, and the guitars will probably change, but the instrument itself will be there forever. why stop playing just because you're older?

well im definately always going to play, no question about that. I guess i am thinking of going lower wattage, less expensive gear...

maybe i dont need both electrics...

not sure.
  • so you're saying you want to sell me your analog delay?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    62strat wrote:
    well im definately always going to play, no question about that. I guess i am thinking of going lower wattage, less expensive gear...

maybe i dont need both electrics...

not sure.

oh you do need both electrics for different tones.

You should definately look into a used Deluxe Reverb RI as a twin replacement. Much easier on the old back and the crowds ears.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    oh you do need both electrics for different tones.

You should definately look into a used Deluxe Reverb RI as a twin replacement. Much easier on the old back and the crowds ears.

what crowd?

see what im saying:(
  • 62strat wrote:
    what crowd?

see what im saying:(
    dont' worry man.

i've got all sorts of gear and have never played a real rock and roll gig...of course i'd love to!, but just hasn't happened yet :(. Still, plugging my new SG into through my board and amp is still a rush for me and i live for it...and you knwo you do too!

dont' get down though....think of yourself not being able to crank it up and rip it...sad thought isn't it.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Been down that road many times. When you think you find the right group of people to play with, suddenly some one quits out of the blue, when everything felt so good etc... I've down sized, up sized, re down sized again. And right now I'm just in a buying freeze. And tell myself I'm not buying anything until I'm playing in a comfortable band on a regular basis (which to me anymore is twice a month or so.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    keep the guitars.

and the choice pedals.

the amp can be replaced with something more manageable.

buy an mbox and go solo.