Recording Tomorrow Night

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
should be exciting. New tunes, semi new band, qutie a different feel. If things all go smoothly im hoping to lay down 4 or 5 tracks...

Pretty much just for personal use, not looking to make a professional demo and not spend tons of money mixing, And over the past couple years ive pretty mcuh decided that as long as the band sounds good, in tune and tight...i dont care to spend hundreds to thousonds or even the time on over mixing...just get the levels right. especially since its for our own personal enjoyment and whoever else wnats it. Hopefully i can post a few after its all complete and you guys hear it out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    best of luck with it. should be a blast.

i wish i had the confidence to try the band thing. or the time.....

or how things shall change.
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    62strat wrote:
    should be exciting. New tunes, semi new band, qutie a different feel. If things all go smoothly im hoping to lay down 4 or 5 tracks...

Pretty much just for personal use, not looking to make a professional demo and not spend tons of money mixing, And over the past couple years ive pretty mcuh decided that as long as the band sounds good, in tune and tight...i dont care to spend hundreds to thousonds or even the time on over mixing...just get the levels right. especially since its for our own personal enjoyment and whoever else wnats it. Hopefully i can post a few after its all complete and you guys hear it out.

Recording is always fun, but can become a burden when you get into the fine tuning steps. I agree, avoid that if it isn't necessary.

I love the nuances of micing guitars/amps and hearing the translation to tape or digital, or whatever you are recording to.
    Enjoy.
    There's No Code.
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    House53 wrote:
    Recording is always fun, but can become a burden when you get into the fine tuning steps. I agree, avoid that if it isn't necessary.

I love the nuances of micing guitars/amps and hearing the translation to tape or digital, or whatever you are recording to.
    Enjoy.

see i dont. I love hearing it back and seeing how it REALLY sounds. of course you cant hear all the nuances of the guitars and everything playing live which is a good thing in my opinion:0 ha...but coming out of the studio its amazing how much of a better play one can be. Playing through the headphones and really listening and trying to play so tight and perfect. Good things, but can be very stressful and suck the life out of ya! and its hard to really play the best i can when i can't FEEL the actual music...but it is fun, different, exciting.

Hopefully it turns out alright.
  • nailz100nailz100 Posts: 1,176
    I'm recording vocals tonight for our album.....and I always dread it
    Only with our eyes closed can we truly see
    nailz100 wrote:

me too. but i only have to impress the spider that lives on my monitor. :p
    nailz100 wrote:

thank god im not a singer. id hate to record vocals in an empty room listening through head phones...yikes...

our singer is out of town so we are doing only instrumentals ourselves
  • House53House53 Posts: 1,276
    62strat wrote:
    thank god im not a singer. id hate to record vocals in an empty room listening through head phones...yikes...

our singer is out of town so we are doing only instrumentals ourselves

I agree recording vocals is not much fun. I have a hard time getting "into" the singing without a band behind me. It's a different experience all together.

Good luck nailz.
    There's No Code.
  • KillerIsMeKillerIsMe Posts: 208
    i love the first say 20 takes on vocal tracks

but after that i cant stand it
  • we are recording saturday too...we are recording 3 original songs and 2 covers...ill see if i can get the 2 covers up because we wont have the 3 original songs copywrited yet
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    Thanks for the support guys, at least tonight is only for a few hours. A couple of Saturdays ago I did eight hours straight on ONE song just to get it right. The parts with alot of push were definately not fun taking them over about 20+ times just to get them right. My throat doesn't get sore barely ever, but needless to say my vocal folds were a little swollen after that 8 hour recording session....and unfortunately I have more than spiders to impress Ex. S'too bad I hate my voice in the studio..
    nailz100 wrote:
    and unfortunately I have more than spiders to impress Ex. S'too bad I hate my voice in the studio..

i don't envy the "work" aspect of it certainly.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    nailz100 wrote:
    Thanks for the support guys, at least tonight is only for a few hours. A couple of Saturdays ago I did eight hours straight on ONE song just to get it right. The parts with alot of push were definately not fun taking them over about 20+ times just to get them right. My throat doesn't get sore barely ever, but needless to say my vocal folds were a little swollen after that 8 hour recording session....and unfortunately I have more than spiders to impress Ex. S'too bad I hate my voice in the studio..

I would never have a vocalist do more than 2 hours of tracking in a day. It really kills your voice, and it can take the passion and feel out of the takes. I usually try three or four takes, and if those are solid, some punches. If you can't get it then, pack up for the day and try again tomorrow. Otherwise, you're wasting your time and killing your voice for nothing.

And my studio has a penguin passing judgement...

http://www.still-life-music.com/av/gallery/recording_spring_2005/spanky.jpg

For shits and giggles, and to make you all jealous...

http://www.still-life-music.com/av/gallery/recording_spring_2005/vibro_champ.jpg
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

bastard, I love that setup. I wonder what it would sound like running into a 2x10 cab.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    Jealous?....it says Fender on it...hahaha

Like the penguin though
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    bastard, I love that setup. I wonder what it would sound like running into a 2x10 cab.

I actually thought for a long time about adding a speaker jack, and wiring a 1/4" plug to the internal speaker. But, quite frankly, I'd hate to ruin the original state of the amp. I could always have another back panel made, cut a hole in that, use new cloth wire to the jack and new cloth wire to the internal speaker, and save the original parts. Then get a 1x10" or 1x12" sealed cab for it. But that's a lot of $$$ for me right now. Perhaps down the road. Right now, the only cosmetic difference in that amp from original is the Weber speaker, and I still have the original (just needs a re-cone).

I'll tell you this... it sounds great on my hard drive...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • WiLL75WiLL75 Posts: 415
    nailz100 wrote:
    Jealous?....it says Fender on it...hahaha

Like the penguin though

Hey hey, don't be bashing the Fender.
    7-9-03 New York(MSG II baby!)
    9-4-05 Calgary (10c Tix!)
    8-8-09 Calgary
    9-21-12 Calgary (10c Tix! Row 12!!)
    My URL
    http://www.myspace.com/thehuskytruckers

http://www.facebook.com
    wow. what a night.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I actually thought for a long time about adding a speaker jack, and wiring a 1/4" plug to the internal speaker. But, quite frankly, I'd hate to ruin the original state of the amp. I could always have another back panel made, cut a hole in that, use new cloth wire to the jack and new cloth wire to the internal speaker, and save the original parts. Then get a 1x10" or 1x12" sealed cab for it. But that's a lot of $$$ for me right now. Perhaps down the road. Right now, the only cosmetic difference in that amp from original is the Weber speaker, and I still have the original (just needs a re-cone).

I'll tell you this... it sounds great on my hard drive...

yeah I bet. I found a princeton reverb at GC that is in pretty good shape and only about 500. Thier vibrochamps just aren't perfect enough to spend 550 on.

I still love the vibroluxes but they are $2200

oh well, check out http://www.simplyspeakers.com I'm sending one of my car speakers to them soon, they can pretty much get what you need or recone it for you, or you could send it to Ted, he'd be sure to do it right too.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    "Hey hey, don't be bashing the Fender"

It was more of a joke than anything, I knew I would get MIG all riled up with that comment.

Although, I've never heard really awesome distortion sounds out of a fender, then again I've never really messed around with one either.