Options

Ok you old timers, what was your favorite song(s) to MOSH to in the old days?

hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
Let's be real, now we would throw out a hip or tear a ligament, but back in the day when you didn't give a shit how you felt at work the next day and you hit the pit, what songs by whomever did you get your frenzy out during?

All the shows and all the pits what was the BEST one or two?

for me 
#1 NIN- WISH (was even cooler because the dudes from Marilyn Manson were out there too after opening -minus the lead singer-wussy)
#2  Metallica - Battery

share your broken bones, shattered glasses, lost a shoe, pulled out the the ring of death stories please

side note at Soldier Field in 95 the GA had several pits, huge ones, and I got knocked on my ass- my pal grabbed me with one arm by my t-shirt and yanked my ass to safety before I got mud stomped!

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    I do remember getting kicked in the head by a crowd surfer during a Static-X/PM5K show like 20 years ago. Mudvayne was pretty insane in the pit as was Pantera and Slayer.

More recently:
    Japandroids like about five years ago. Got nailed in the chest from a stage diver and in the back of the neck from another crowd surfer. Also got nailed right above the eye which left a nice bruise from another crowd surfer.

IDLES. I was in a mosh pit a few years ago for like 30 seconds and was kinda out of breath :lol:

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited May 2023
    I loved the old Primus shows.  1992-ish.  Small venue, all GA...those whole place would be hopping around in a damn circle.  Pretty much didn't matter what songs.  No punching or kicking, just jumping around and having fun.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I never cared for the kicking and punching in the pits either, thought that was just stupid.  A good body check no problem.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited May 2023
    Crowd surfed at Our Lady Peace, small club show back in late 90s. Started off the stage, went back until there weren’t anymore people. 

As for fun home moshing?
    1) the re-recorded Even Flow with tennis rackets as guitars
    2) Cypress Hill’s Insane In The Brain
    *lots to work from if you’ve ever seen the video 
    Etc moshing in other places?
    3) Everclear’s song Nehalem. Only party I have ever been at where the police were called due to excessive noise? Yep? This was that excessive noise. Fucking ADORE that record. 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    #3 was 1/2+ of the parties we went to in college.  It wasn't a big party if the cops didn't show up at least once.  :lol:  
  • Options
    fucking crowd surfers  I don't want your ass or nuts in my face, your knees in my neck, or my hands anywhere on your body, so expect a side step :-)
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Bastards of the Young
    The Replacements
  • Options
    amethgr8amethgr8 Posts: 766
    Leash!
    Amy The Great #74594
    New Orleans LA 7/4/95 reschedule 9/17/95
    Chicago IL 1998, 10/9/00, 06/18/03, 05/16/06, 05/17/06
    08/23/09, 08/24/09, Lolla 08/05/07
    Champaign IL 4/23/03
    Grand Rapids MI VFC 10/03/04
    Grand Rapids MI 19May06
    Noblesville IN 05/07/10 Cleveland OH 05/09/10
    PJ 20 2011
    Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Seattle WA 2013
    St. Louis MO, Milwaukee WI 2014
    Tampa FL, Chicago IL, Lexington KY 2016
    Missoula MT 2018
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,965
    Metallica. Early Metallica
    And thrash metal
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    Nice thread

Ministry: Burning Inside; Stigmata (all other songs) caught them as often as poss back late 80s 90s also still killing it in 2008ish

Cro mags: 5ish years ago saw them a few times (went nuts) 

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles (all songs turn me into a writhing idiot) 

Murphy's Law: care bear (all other songs) fun pit although may get your face bashed in on 'cavity creeps' or crushed during 'wall.of death' just have to know when to step aside.

Madball (don't know songs but great band to flip out to live)

Bad Brains (all songs) saw them once in 90s (crazy time-fast music)

Revolting Cocks (fun pit) steers beers and queers

Primus (like f me) always a fun time. Maybe we were at the same shows? NYC whenever they were there.

Anthrax. Saw once with armored saint singer. Drank a budwiser and an orange juice. Moshed it up and barfed out my window driving home

Henry Rollins (can't think of a song)

Slayer (just too dangerous to jump in that pit)

Motorhead (met an old timer fan, Mad dog, who didn't understand moshing. Clocked me straight in the jaw. F..ker)

Suicidal Tendencies: subliminally (any song) last time I saw them (2008?) my back got f..ked for a solid week.

Always find myself in the pit. Still jump in, but rarely catch a show anymore.

Let's go!!!!

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    Nice thread

Ministry: Burning Inside; Stigmata (all other songs) caught them as often as poss back late 80s 90s also still killing it in 2008ish

Cro mags: 5ish years ago saw them a few times (went nuts) 

Dirty Rotten Imbeciles (all songs turn me into a writhing idiot) 

Murphy's Law: care bear (all other songs) fun pit although may get your face bashed in on 'cavity creeps' or crushed during 'wall.of death' just have to know when to step aside.

Madball (don't know songs but great band to flip out to live)

Bad Brains (all songs) saw them once in 90s (crazy time-fast music)

Revolting Cocks (fun pit) steers beers and queers

Primus (like f me) always a fun time. Maybe we were at the same shows? NYC whenever they were there.

Anthrax. Saw once with armored saint singer. Drank a budwiser and an orange juice. Moshed it up and barfed out my window driving home

Henry Rollins (can't think of a song)

Slayer (just too dangerous to jump in that pit)

Motorhead (met an old timer fan, Mad dog, who didn't understand moshing. Clocked me straight in the jaw. F..ker)

Suicidal Tendencies: subliminally (any song) last time I saw them (2008?) my back got f..ked for a solid week.

Always find myself in the pit. Still jump in, but rarely catch a show anymore.

Let's go!!!!

Nice.
    For Primus, I was in CA during those years.  Didn't see them in Northeast until many years later

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    I guess I'm too old to post here.  There was no such thing mosh pits when I first started to going to shows.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ^Just plain old flipping out is ok b lux. I remember your violent fems story. 
    Circle 'organized' mosh pits. I haven't been in many of those myself. Slam. Wiggle convolsing all counts in my book. ;)
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    So many pits throughout the years. Bad Brains were always great. Especially when they'd bust into their reggae tunes with someone in mid-stagedive mode. Once I saw Fishbone in some gymnasium in the LA area. I was in the giant circle pit and then went up to the bleachers. You could actually feel the wind generated by the turbine-like pit. It was mindblowing. Saw the U.S. Bombs with Dropkick Murphys and did probably 20 full launch stagedives that night. We just kept our whiskies on their amps, since we knew we'd be going back up there to do another dive.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    edited May 2023
    Loujoe said:
    ^Just plain old flipping out is ok b lux. I remember your violent fems story. 
    Circle 'organized' mosh pits. I haven't been in many of those myself. Slam. Wiggle convolsing all counts in my book. ;)
    The closest thing to a mosh pit I can think of was back in the day with this one-man mosh pit at the Jimi Hendrix and the Experience show I went to at Winterland in October, 1968.  I managed to get up relatively close to the stage, but once there things got pretty tightly packed in.  As luck would have it, I ended up right next to this guy who was on my left side.  He looked like maybe he was half aboriginal, with wild clothing, a few things stuffed in his curly black hair, and some kind of ceremonial staff with all kinds of colorful accoutrements attached to it.  This guy kept screaming- and to be heard over Hendrix, you know that's gotta be loud screams- and stamping his feet and pounding his staff on the ground like crazy.  All that yelling was irritating but just as bad or worse, I was fearful of losing some toes. I finally managed to wedge myself a few more feet away from this wild man.  I should have at least taken his picture- that would have been cool at least- but as close as he was, probably couldn't anyway. 
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Ministry.....that would have been amazing during NWO 
  • Options
    Yes. Their music took hold of my insides. It was kind of revolutionary for me, the 'industrial' music scene. Short lived and odd, but ministry did a great job adding the heavy edge and continuing on. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    I still jump in the pit at Oh Sees shows.  I like to go in for Weathered Hand.
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,537
    I was never a mosher in terms of banging and jumping INTO people. I did love moshing in terms jumping up and down with a sea of people that didn't want to get a concussion.

Best experience I can recall:  Silverchair - Pure Massacare
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Hate all you want but Limp Bizkit had some great mosh/pogo songs
  • Options
    Sure they did. I never saw them. A little after my time. 
    Loved Pantara pit. Only saw them once on cowboys tour in a dump club. Fantastic.
    I wish I could go back and experience that again. They invited the crowd on the stage. I was too busy tearing up the dancefloor. Damn. If I went back I'd rob Dimebag of a handfull of picks. RIP DB & moshpits.
  • Options
    Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 429
    Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax and Napalm Death shows in the 80s were the best but I'm too old for the pit these days though!

My mate broke his nose and a foot at a Gallows show at the 100 Club in 2008, that was pure carnage and we ached for days. I'm in there somewhere under those bodies!

Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Dublin 22/6/24, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Sure they did. I never saw them. A little after my time. 
    Loved Pantara pit. Only saw them once on cowboys tour in a dump club. Fantastic.
    I wish I could go back and experience that again. They invited the crowd on the stage. I was too busy tearing up the dancefloor. Damn. If I went back I'd rob Dimebag of a handfull of picks. RIP DB & moshpits.
    2nd to last time I saw Dillinger they did that very same thing, invited everyone on stage.  I was pissed I was up o the 2nd deck so the last show I made sure I was on the floor, it wasn't a pit, you couldn't friggin move, lol.  

So show ends, I'm at the rail and they didn't invite anyone up on stage... Oh well, at least I hung in the pit and made it to the front if they did.
  • Options
    I took this just as shit was going down. 
    Oh Sees at Brooklyn Made. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    https://open.spotify.com/track/1FTSo4v6BOZH9QxKc3MbVM?si=U5SCLmxbRUyNpi303cRvRQ
    I remember moshing to this song at the Randall’s Island show the one Ed & Mike showed up at! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Love that pic. Will go with you someday. Looks like a blast. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    @GlowGirl gave me the idea to have it blown up and framed.  I love how it came out.

So, September they are coming back to Warsaw in BK.  Come on with me my man!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    Loujoe said:
    @GlowGirl gave me the idea to have it blown up and framed.  I love how it came out.

So, September they are coming back to Warsaw in BK.  Come on with me my man!
    It is an awesome photo!!
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    My favorites have all been at the punk shows. 

Less than Jake, Rancid, any of the Warped Tours..those were the most fun as the skater punks were just looking to have fun. 

The metal shows (Pantera, Metallica, etc) had too many meatheads with shitkickers on looking to fight.

Last year I saw Limp Bizkit at the Tampa Hard Rock (very small venue) and the crowd was just waiting for a pit to start, but one never really did. But that's the closest I have been to a mosh pit in the past decade.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    I remember Lollapalooza '92 and being in the pit for Soundgarden, PJ, RHCP and some others when I was a skinny 15 year old. That was a helluva show!!!

Now get off my lawn!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com