I Think I Blew My Ears Out Last Night

62strat62strat Posts: 638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
kind of an aching, still a little ringing. But it also feels like they are aching a bit, or am ij ust being paranoid?

i dont wear ear plugs, i try every now and then...and did for a bit last night..but then i just took them out. THey muffle the sound TOO MUCH. Anyone have any good suggestions where i can order some nice ear plugs from that wont muffle the sound too much so i cant hear the music?

And anyone know if this aching pain will go away (i say aching pain and it makes it sound like it hurts) i feel im being paranoid...

i need to start wearing ear plugs, but we only reherase once a week....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you gotta wear the plugs man, gotta.

it's so tempting not too though...i went on a concert stretch of about 8 straight shows without wearing them, and then i thought...fuck, my ears are ringing after every show (toledo was the absolute worst! Neil fucking cut through my brain). I can already tell that my hearing is getting worse and worse.

granted, i hardly ever wear plugs when just playing in my bedroom casually...but when the amp is really cranked up you've gotta put em in. You get used to them, and more often than not i feel that you can hear better with them in (especially at concerts).

as far as the plugs i use...just some plugs that concert security gave me at a show, although i'm sure there are some really fancy ones you can get.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • 62strat62strat Posts: 638
    you gotta wear the plugs man, gotta.

it's so tempting not too though...i went on a concert stretch of about 8 straight shows without wearing them, and then i thought...fuck, my ears are ringing after every show (toledo was the absolute worst! Neil fucking cut through my brain). I can already tell that my hearing is getting worse and worse.

granted, i hardly ever wear plugs when just playing in my bedroom casually...but when the amp is really cranked up you've gotta put em in. You get used to them, and more often than not i feel that you can hear better with them in (especially at concerts).

as far as the plugs i use...just some plugs that concert security gave me at a show, although i'm sure there are some really fancy ones you can get.

yea, youre asbolutely right. Its just that i really need to hear and especially FEEL, physically feel the music when i play it. In the end im sure it's just not worth it. The ones i use now pretty much cut everything out.

neil young cutting through your brain is exactly what one needs...god that was intense!

Also, what is everyones opinion on original to cover ratio at a show? Now, usually i dont like to play more than 2, maybe 3 covers. we have an hour slot to fill tomorrow night...and only have 6 originals...and 2 that arent really performance ready...so we have to fill it with 4 covers. i just feel cheap, especially since the fineline isn't really a cover band place at all, one of the top rock clubs in town. i shouldnt feel bad, in the end all it is is putting on a better/more entertaining show for the fans...hence more booze will be drank, club will get even more excited etc...
  • 62strat wrote:
    Also, what is everyones opinion on original to cover ratio at a show? Now, usually i dont like to play more than 2, maybe 3 covers. we have an hour slot to fill tomorrow night...and only have 6 originals...and 2 that arent really performance ready...so we have to fill it with 4 covers. i just feel cheap, especially since the fineline isn't really a cover band place at all, one of the top rock clubs in town. i shouldnt feel bad, in the end all it is is putting on a better/more entertaining show for the fans...hence more booze will be drank, club will get even more excited etc...
    well, since you only have a few originals...you don't have much of a choice do you :).

my feeling is, mix in your originals (i'd open and close with originals)...and throw in your covers randomly. Play a couple well-known respectable classics...in which the crowd will know well and can participate. Then play some not-so-known covers...good songs, but just not as recognizable. That way you won't look like you're a cover band AS BAD (hell, some people might even think the songs are yours :))

so what covers do you have rehearsed? Psycho Killer...and?
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
    well, since you only have a few originals...you don't have much of a choice do you :).

my feeling is, mix in your originals (i'd open and close with originals)...and throw in your covers randomly. Play a couple well-known respectable classics...in which the crowd will know well and can participate. Then play some not-so-known covers...good songs, but just not as recognizable. That way you won't look like you're a cover band AS BAD (hell, some people might even think the songs are yours :))

so what covers do you have rehearsed? Psycho Killer...and?

Well i think we decided we are just going to open with "cherub rock" play it first, get it out of the way, we are playing at 9:45 so there will be even more people as the set goes on, so we figured open up hard and get a cover out of the way, play 2-3 originals...then another cover..rinse and repeat...

we are also doing psychokiller into part of 5 to 1 (the doors), and then stonehenge...spinal tap...mandolin solo and all, and close with spacehog in the meantime...

i think we should be alright
  • 62strat wrote:
    Well i think we decided we are just going to open with "cherub rock" play it first, get it out of the way, we are playing at 9:45 so there will be even more people as the set goes on, so we figured open up hard and get a cover out of the way, play 2-3 originals...then another cover..rinse and repeat...

we are also doing psychokiller into part of 5 to 1 (the doors), and then stonehenge...spinal tap...mandolin solo and all, and close with spacehog in the meantime...

i think we should be alright
    Cherub Rock, stellar choice. hmm, it's time to spin the pumpkins i think.

and please god tell me that you have a little Stonehenge prop.

also, Sex Farm would be a helluva cover as well!

Cherub Rock, stellar choice. hmm, it's time to spin the pumpkins i think.

and please god tell me that you have a little Stonehenge prop.

also, Sex Farm would be a helluva cover as well!

ill sneak you in to the show if you know of any midgets...
    singer will have a cloak on ....
  • 62strat wrote:
    ill sneak you in to the show if you know of any midgets...
    singer will have a cloak on ....
    how about you sneak me into the show anyway...

actually, big drinking night tomorrow the way it sounds (roommates bday). So, next show you can sneak me in. I could be a roadie, ummm...i'll go out there and tape the setlists to the stage. And then during the show i'll wander the crowd whilst giving backstage sex-romp passes to the ladies. and for the encore i'll rig a pulley system to lower the stonehenge statues to the ground.

in all seriousness though...please find a midget to do the jig.

in all seriousness though...please find a midget to do the jig.

well finally, glad we can be serious about this stuff...
    paco, exh...

ear plugs? any suggestions?
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    You know what REALLY muffles sound?

Going deaf.

Max Lite's are what I recommend.

http://www.firstaidandsafetyonline.com/prod_details~catid~32~id~320.asp
  • I ordered myself a pair of these 2 months ago -- best gear purchase I've ever made!!

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.asp

They cost me $130 CDN for the pair (no taxes) (I'm in Canada) -- I just went to this place called "Listen Up Canada!" to get a pair custom fitted. I think any audiologist will be able to do this for you.

They are amazing.. I can hear everything in my band so much clearer now. I got the ER-25's which provide 25 dB of "relatively flat attenuation across frequencies". The way I can describe it: I can have my amp cranked (Bat Cat HC 30), and with the earplugs in, it sounds as though it is at bedroom volume. My amp actually sounds better (to me anyways) with the earplugs in -- how weird is that? :) I can also hear any mistakes/flubs that I'm making (or that guys in my band are) .. we play pretty loud, and I don't notice any ringing after practice as I used to with the cheap foam/construction earplugs.

I used to use the cheap foam/construction earplugs.. and I agree that they sound 'muffled'. The musicians earplugs just lower the volume.. doesn't muffle anything. I'm even wearing them to concerts (will come in handy when I see Audioslave next week! :)).

Hope this helps..

-sgdnfan