ten 2 LP reissue possible?

as much as i appreciate my current copy, it would just breathe so much better spread onto 2 LPs.  i hope this can be done similar to how they did this to vitalogy.  i do admit tho, lost dogs getting a repress is a much bigger priority - i may be dumb enough to drop over 400 on it one of these days.

(i still have mixed feelings on the 2009 remix...but MAN do i love that boxed set it came in.)

Comments

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Why would we need another reissue of 10? How many are there already, probably 7 or 8? Maybe more?
    Put the effort into something new, or something without a reissue (benny, LD, etc).
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,619
    I'll always hope for audiophile cuts. But I'm not optimistic.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    Is there really a difference with a double vs single LP? I wasn't going to spend $70 on another Yield to find out, but my guess was I wasn't going to be able to hear the difference.
    It depends on how it’s cut, but yes, you can hear the difference. Less tracks per sides allows for deeper cuts and more space between the grooves which allows more bass and robust sound. That’s the theory, it usually holds as long as the source is great for the master. 
  • Ibn KhaldounIbn Khaldoun Posts: 6
    edited May 2023

mace1229 said:
    Is there really a difference with a double vs single LP? I wasn't going to spend $70 on another Yield to find out, but my guess was I wasn't going to be able to hear the difference
    i almost bought that but it's at 45 RPM (but they DO include the hidden track hummus!) i tend to not like albums cut at that, as i think only singles and EPs should be in 45.  (maybe that sounds odd.)

i'd say the easiest way to explain it is that a record at 33 RPM shouldn't hold more than 22 minutes a side.  so any 1LP album that is over 45 minutes is pushing it.

ten is 53 minutes, i think (if you don't cut out master/slave).  50 minutes can be doable, but something approaching 55 minutes (or an hour) is going to suffer pretty badly when it comes to listenability.  usually the record gets cut quieter to make it fit.
    Post edited by Ibn Khaldoun on
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,181
    Maybe Vinyl Me Please might take up the challenge and release a 2lp reissue of Ten, like what they are doing for Yield.

• bicyclejoebicyclejoe Posts: 1,203
    mace1229 said:
    Is there really a difference with a double vs single LP? I wasn't going to spend $70 on another Yield to find out, but my guess was I wasn't going to be able to hear the difference.
    Yes. Yes there is. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    mace1229 said:
    Yes. Yes there is. 
    and 45prm is superior as well. all the Mobile Fidelity records are cut at 45rpm and those are some of the best records that i own. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,812
    edited May 2023
    Idea:

If it were two discs, then would there be space for the various bonus tracks? Dirty Frank, Just A Girl, I've Got A Feeling, Thousand Mile Blues and Evil Little Goat?

If you're doing it, you gotta make it worth buying to the crowd who has the various reissues PLUS the 2-3 different original versions.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,181
    Idea:

If it were two discs, then would there be space for the various bonus tracks? Dirty Frank, Just A Girl, I've Got A Feeling, Thousand Mile Blues and Evil Little Goat?

If you're doing it, you gotta make it worth buying to the crowd who has the various reissues PLUS the 2-3 different original versions.

Indeed!
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    Idea:

That would be cool but if you are making it 2xLP for sound quality it doesnt make sense to add more songs because then it was not be able to be cut at 45rpms it would be 33rpms and sound exactly the same
    I’m of the mind you can cut at 33 and make it sound as good as a cut at 45. 

Bonus tracks, whatever aren’t important. What’s important is to use the original tapes or the best transfer of those original tapes and have them cut by a masterer who’s gonna get the most out of the existing sound. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,087
    Sounds reasonable to milk the fanbase with this, when they don't have it in themselves to push more colored versions. But I imagine we are a marble, a splatter and a split colored version before an audophile 2 record version is released.

Let's just hope they use the original mix if they use the iconic purple cover and stop conflicting cover and mixes, as they have.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    Sounds reasonable to milk the fanbase with this, when they don't have it in themselves to push more colored versions. But I imagine we are a marble, a splatter and a split colored version before an audophile 2 record version is released.

Let's just hope they use the original mix if they use the iconic purple cover and stop conflicting cover and mixes, as they have.
    haha as many copies as I have, it's still the original that I spin the most :)